Family Surname Terrizzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hessaj21

Family Surname Terrizzi

Post by hessaj21 »

I am trying to track down my grandfather's grandparents.

My grandfather is Morris Michael Terrizzi, he was born 1/19/1918 in Pennsylvania. His father was Charles Terrizzi (1/19/1890 - 3/12/1960). He was born in Monforte San Giorgio, Messina, Italy. Charles died in Shirleysburg, PA.

On his obituary it states that he came to the US when he was ten years old with his parents, Michael Terrizzi and Rose (Scibilia) Terrizzi.

I can not find any record of Charles, Michael or Rose coming to the US to help continue my research.

I am looking to know when Michael and Rose were born and died, and who their parents might have been. Also, a spelling of Terrizzi in Italy, because I have seen it spelled so many different ways.

I have the WW I and WW II records for both Charles and Morris. I have the census information on Charles once he was established in the US. I just haven't found any census records of Charles when he was with his parents Michael and Rose.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Family Surname Terrizzi

Post by Tessa78 »

hessaj21 wrote:I am trying to track down my grandfather's grandparents.

My grandfather is Morris Michael Terrizzi, he was born 1/19/1918 in Pennsylvania. His father was Charles Terrizzi (1/19/1890 - 3/12/1960). He was born in Monforte San Giorgio, Messina, Italy. Charles died in Shirleysburg, PA.

On his obituary it states that he came to the US when he was ten years old with his parents, Michael Terrizzi and Rose (Scibilia) Terrizzi.

I can not find any record of Charles, Michael or Rose coming to the US to help continue my research.

I am looking to know when Michael and Rose were born and died, and who their parents might have been. Also, a spelling of Terrizzi in Italy, because I have seen it spelled so many different ways.

I have the WW I and WW II records for both Charles and Morris. I have the census information on Charles once he was established in the US. I just haven't found any census records of Charles when he was with his parents Michael and Rose.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
The correct spelling in Monforte San Giorgio is the way you have it spelled - Terrizzi

See this site... Insert the name at Sicily Region
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Let me just say that death records and obituaries are often very inaccurate. Information is provided by the living relatives who remain and don't often know the facts.
AND...
Many immigrants became Americanized by adopting American names... such as "Charles"

That being said...
I have found a manifest dated Feb. 27, 1901 which includes a boy of 11 whose name is Mariano Terrizzi. His father's name is Michele Terrizzi - his destination in NY @ 100 Bayard St.
Mother is Annuziata Insana, age 32.
ALL are from Monforte San Giorgio...

Traveling with the mother and son is another passenger whose destination is also to Michele Terrizzi ... His name is Giovanni Reale - also from Monforte San Giorgio.

I'll post the image for you if you think it may be your "Charles" - Or maybe it's a clue???

I also noticed on the 1920 Census from Chester PA that the family above Charles' family is also named Terrizzi. Father is on the previous page and his name is Antonio. Age close to Charles, also from Italy, also immigrated around 1901. In his family unit is a brother named Frank, also from Italy, and also immigrated around 1901.
MY QUESTION - are Antonio and Frank "brothers" to Charles? or are they cousins? Are you familiar with them?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Possible Manifest for Michele Terrizzi, 61, and Rosa Scibilia, 60...

Arriving on SS Cincinnati to NY January 22, 1914 (Line 16 and 17)
Going to son Antonio Terrizzi in Chester PA
Leaving father Antonio in Monforte San Giorgio, Italy
Was in US before - 1911-1912

I'm having trouble posting manifests from www.ellisisland.org
But you can view it by searching by ship name and date...

T.
hessaj21

Post by hessaj21 »

I checked Castle Garden and Ellis Island and can not find your exact results. I did find the result of manifest dated Feb 27, 1901, but it did not show who he traveled with.

I know that Charles had brothers, one named Carmelo. I possibly found Carmelo's manifest dated 12/29/1900, but it did not indicate on Castle Garden who he traveled with.

From Charles obituary it states he had a brother Frank, Carmelo and a sister named T. A. Giacobello.

I do know that in the 1930 census Charles was in Shirleysburg, PA.

If you can view my tree on Ancestry.com, that might also help.

Thank you for all your efforts. My grandfather, Morris is 93, and he knows I am researching all of this, and I would love to finally solve this mystery.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Possible first trip for Michele Terrizzi (though listed as Ferrizzi)

August 1899 - arriving NY
From Monforte San Giorgio
Going to cousin Pasquale Ferrizzi in NY
Michele is 47 (makes DOB around 1852 - same as Michele on the above 1914 manifest with Rosa Scibilia)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:Possible Manifest for Michele Terrizzi, 61, and Rosa Scibilia, 60...

Arriving on SS Cincinnati to NY January 22, 1914 (Line 16 and 17)
Going to son Antonio Terrizzi in Chester PA
Leaving father Antonio in Monforte San Giorgio, Italy
Was in US before - 1911-1912

I'm having trouble posting manifests from http://www.ellisisland.org
But you can view it by searching by ship name and date...

T.
Found the manifest on Ancestry...named transcribed as Cerrizzi :-)

page 2

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the 1901 manifest I mentioned...

May need to just save it and come back to it when you can make sense of Annunziata Insana :-)

T.
hessaj21

Post by hessaj21 »

This is all great information, but ...

The trouble I am having with this is the census data . . . none of that is matching up with Charles' age.

He was 30 years old in the 1920 census in West Chester, PA. Then in the 1930 census he was in Shirleysburg, PA, age 40. I am 100% sure of his birth and death dates. I know this from his grave stone and from Morris his son.
hessaj21

Post by hessaj21 »

You are right, trying to make sense of the Annunziata Insana may take some time. :-) I will do some family research on this a little to see if my aunt knows any more.

All your information is great, and I appreciate your time and effort.

The 1901 manifest seems to match the best according to all the census records. I just need to figure out how I will confirm that Rose Terrizzi is/was Annunziata Insana.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

hessaj21 wrote:This is all great information, but ...

The trouble I am having with this is the census data . . . none of that is matching up with Charles' age.

He was 30 years old in the 1920 census in West Chester, PA. Then in the 1930 census he was in Shirleysburg, PA, age 40. I am 100% sure of his birth and death dates. I know this from his grave stone and from Morris his son.

The ONLY record posted that MIGHT refer to Charles is the 1901 manifest with the 11 year old boy... That one matches your birthdate for Charles :-)

The other manifests are mostly about Michele - Charles' father - born about 1853.

The 1920 Census has Antonio Terrizzi, age 40; and Frank Terrizzi, age 35; living next door to Charles, age 29. ALL three are store-keepers, all three immigrated in 1901 (according to the census)

The 1914 manifest for Michele and Rosa Scibilia indicates they are going to son Antonio in Chester PA...
AND if Antonio is the oldest son, that suggests that Michele's father was also named Antonio, common in the Italian naming tradition. You will notice on the 1920 Census that Antonio's oldest son is named Michael (Michele) after Antonio's father.
ALSO seems like Charles' son Morris, your GF, was given Michael as his middle name...probably to also honor the grandfather... :-)

Not sure what you are saying doesn't fit... :?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

hessaj21 wrote:You are right, trying to make sense of the Annunziata Insana may take some time. :-) I will do some family research on this a little to see if my aunt knows any more.

All your information is great, and I appreciate your time and effort.

The 1901 manifest seems to match the best according to all the census records. I just need to figure out how I will confirm that Rose Terrizzi is/was Annunziata Insana.
A puzzler for sure! Don't know how or even IF they are connected...

T.
hessaj21

Post by hessaj21 »

Ok, the 1901 manifest might be a closer match than I thought now that you said they were "store keepers". Charles ran a business in Williamsburg, PA and then in Shirleysburg, PA.

Sorry about the confusion, my fault, I wasn't paying attention to who you were referring to, I was thinking of only Charles.

You are right, this is a true mystery. Again, your efforts are greatly appreciated. :-)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like Charles' first name might have been Carlo

If I was looking at the right Family Tree on Ancestry - Wife was Dora?

Here is a 1928 manifest for Charles, wife Dora, and daughter Rosa

Says they were living in Altoona PA
Charles has a Passport... maybe you can find this. May have more info.

T.
hessaj21

Post by hessaj21 »

My ancestry tree is named "Simparosa/Claar/Terrizzi/Hess Family Tree".

Charles wife was Dora (Snowberger), and had a daughter Rose Terrizzi, who was born 1923 and died 1936.

My GF indicated that he remembers that his grandparents did travel back to Italy, so Charles, Dora and Rose must have been visiting family.

I think you are onto something really good here! :-)