Schiano of Naples...Please Help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brich8077

Schiano of Naples...Please Help!

Post by brich8077 »

I am looking for information on my great great grandfather and am praying you might be able to help, or guide me in the right direction...His name is Constantino M. Schiano-We believe the M stands for Michelangelo...On his US naturalization papers he lists Naples as his place of birth-no other information is given.

It is believed his father’s name is Andrea (perhaps Andreas, could have been spelled incorrectly) and his mother’s name Angela (possible middle initial A). He was born October 2nd 1856 although that could be a year off like so many of the records are...His arrival date listed on the 1900 US census is 1873, on the 1910 census it is 1874...

I know this is not a lot of information to go on but anything at all you could assist me with would be greatly appreciated...

I have been stuck for months, even the smallest of hints might be able to help me...Thank you so very much.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Schiano of Naples...Please Help!

Post by suanj »

Hi your ancestor most probably was born in Procida isle( Napoli bay, IT);or near... other probable place Monte di Procida; I searched in the birth records on line of Monte di Procida and it are many Schianos(normally it are Schiano + another surname, for exemple Schiano Lo Moriello, Schiano di Cola, etc.. because it are many Schiano family branches; ditto for Procida isle births)well and nobody Costantino was born on 2 oct 1856; I searched also from 1853 to 1857, and no luck; I found a
-Michele Schiano di Cola born on 7 sep 1856 in Monte di Procida, son of Antonio Schiano di Cola and Anastasia Coppola
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... 3D11005347
-Michelantonio Schiano di Cola born in Monte di Procida on 28 May 1856 son of Nicola Schiano di Cola and of Annamaria...( unreadable maiden name)

nobody Costantino M Schiano in Monte di Procida, 1856 births

instead in Procida isle, Abbazia San Michele Arcangelo ( church) births between 1846- 1861
Register Record Surname Name
B20 4677 SCHIANO DI COSCIA Costantino
http://www.procida-family.com/data-v4/r ... ?langue=EN
free search
obviously your ancestor could be born near this 2 places, but however the area is the same....
I searched also in Barano d'Ischia in the births of 2-8 Oct 1856 as a well in same days of 1853, 1854 and 1855 years, and no luck
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... 3D11003441

Schiano is a popular surname in the area and to know the birth town is a bit hard... I cannot find it in 1880 census as a well the arrival...
you have more helpful details?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brich8077

Post by brich8077 »

Thank you so very much for this information...I do not have any information except for what I listed...I know it is quite common to have another name after Schiano but he never listed one...He did change his name to Charles shortly after arriving in the US.

Andrea(s) wasn't there either? I wish I had more information but all I know is Naples-Vague, I know...What can I do next? Constantino-Is that a very common name?

-Bonnie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Bonnie,
if Costantino immigrated around 1873, it is rare that in old ship's manifest was listed the birth town... just the country... I searched so much the arrival, and no luck as a well the 1880 census..
Next step? Who know? without the exact birthplace ...it is a problem to find it...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brich8077

Post by brich8077 »

Well I greatly appreciate your efforts, thank you so very much...I will continue to research and see what I can dig up!

-Bonnie
brich8077

Post by brich8077 »

I have a copy of his US naturalization petition...He states he was born in Procida, on Oct 2 1856...He says he came to the US on August 15, 1875...This is all I have, Procida must help though, no? Any help would be appreciated...Thank you... :)
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

Well if that's what it says, I think that it's safe to say Procida is where he's from. The only problem is I can't find any film for the town of Procida :( You may want to write to the commune for a birth certificate.

Letters requesting civil records
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Address would look like this.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Procida
80079 PROCIDA NA
ITALY
brich8077

Post by brich8077 »

Would there be birth certificates in 1856? I know some places only have church records and such...
brich8077

Post by brich8077 »

It was indeed Costantino Michele Schiano Di Coscia, born in 1855 in Procida. Mother was Angela Antonia Costagliola...Father was Andrea. Now I need to figure out the history in Italy!