Scura / Cumano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
glimpy155

Scura / Cumano

Post by glimpy155 »

I am looking for information on my grandparent\'s ancestors / relatives. My grandfather was Frank Scura and my grandmother was Mary(Cumano). They came to the U.S. circa 1905-10 from Vaccarriz, Italy. They lived in Brooklyn, N.Y. and then settled in Farmingdale, Long Island, N.Y. He owned a shoe repair store in Farmingdale. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.<!-- BBCode Start --><B>Farmingdale</B><!-- BBCode End -->
ptimber
Master
Master

Scura / Cumano

Post by ptimber »

Just what information do you wish. Please think about your research objectives. Do you want names, documents or addresses of realtives?If so which side of the family are you interested in locating. Do you want information about the town? have you looked into the www.ellisisland.org website of their arrival into the USA as immigrants? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Scura / Cumano

Post by ptimber »

There are two towns Vaccarizzo di Montalto, Postale 87040 and Vaccarizzo Albanese 87060 (possible Albanian origin village). When researching you need to know the town of origin in Italy. Peter
glimpy155

Scura / Cumano

Post by glimpy155 »

I have tried the ellis island site, and was able to find only my grandfather\'s manifest. I believe they were from the village that was of albanian origin. I don\'t have any particular goal, so any info would be a start. It would be nice to locate relatives on the other side, though. Thanks.
ptimber
Master
Master

Scura / Cumano

Post by ptimber »

go to www.paginebianche.it and insert surname in first line and town in thrid line and click cerca. If same surname appears then perhaps they are related to you. You may consider wiriting to them and asking or even picing up the telephone and talking to them if there are not too many. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Scura / Cumano

Post by ptimber »

There are about 25 persons currently residing in Vaccarizza Albanese with the Scura surname and see if you recorgnize any family first names since first names continue in a family for generations. Peter
sanji

Re: Scura / Cumano

Post by sanji »

These are my grandparents too. I would love to connect with glimpy155 and see how we are related. I've been working on Ancestry.com creating a family tree.

I have found the passenger list for Maria Cumano and her sister Mariantonia Cumano. I may be able to get you to those lists.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: Scura / Cumano

Post by Romano1970 »

Here is somethiong interesting . This website link is a Cognome mapping site. I typed in your last name and all the black areas are where anyone with that surename is in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.