Microfilm Records & Translation

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Microfilm Records & Translation

Post by maple62 »

Can anyone assist with the translation of the titles on the microfilm?

The words I need translated are:

Processetti
Atti Diversi
Allegati
Indice decennali

Thanks in advance

Michael
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Microfilm Records & Translation

Post by suanj »

processetti= marriage's process
atti diversi= birthact of abandoned infant
allegati= all documents necessary for wedding
Indici decennali= 10/years index of birthact, deathacts etc..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Thanks for the reply.....I now have about 20 microfilms to order to go through all the births/deaths/marriages for the town i need.

But will I need to view the processetti and the allegati - will this have information that will be vital to my search?

I'm assuming I only need to view the births/deaths/marriages so I can narrow down the number of microfilms I need to view by half.

I'm in England and the films can take anything upto 6 weeks to arrive....

Thanks again

Michael
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maple62 wrote:Thanks for the reply.....I now have about 20 microfilms to order to go through all the births/deaths/marriages for the town i need.

But will I need to view the processetti and the allegati - will this have information that will be vital to my search?

I'm assuming I only need to view the births/deaths/marriages so I can narrow down the number of microfilms I need to view by half.

I'm in England and the films can take anything upto 6 weeks to arrive....

Thanks again

Michael
for your needs, are necessary only the STATO CIVILE microfilm of town your ancestors(here are births, deaths, marriages).... this is just step.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi

I suggest getting Italian Genealogy Records by Tafford Cole and Discovering your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. They give examples of translations and explain how to use the records. Also get a genealogy Italian word list to help with translation. When you first look at these records they can seem very difficult to read, but it gets much easier with practice. Don't give up to quickly and before you know it you will be reading them.

If the allegati are available for the year of a needed marriage they are a wealth of genealogical information as it is a collection of all the documents a couple had to provide in order to get married.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Word of advice... don't order too many rolls at once... as it can take some time to go through every frame... every reel... to renew is not expensive either.

If your reels of film include annual indexes or lists of births, deaths, matrimony, make copies of all the indexes first so you can review these at home... and this will also prepare you to look for specific people when you return to your Family History Center again.

The feeling you get when you find your ancestor is just awesome... good luck with your research and enjoy!!

mfjp
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Thank you all...I've tried to download an image of the LDS microfilm titles and reel numbers but the image is taking up too much memory space.

It lists all the processetti, pubblicazioni, atti diversi, morti, matrimoni, nati etc but in blocks of 10-15 years or so...i.e. processetti 1835-1844, 1844-1852, and so on. Same again for morti.....1901-1910, 1911-1929 and so on. All with their own separate reel number!

My point is that they are all split into separate reels for births/deaths/marriages. There doesn't seem to be one reel that covers all three subjects - or is that 'pubblicazioni'? I don't know what this one would contain. Any ideas on this one?

Is there a specific reel I should look at first i.e. nati? Will this give me the two parents names of the child born, then allowing me to work backwards from there?

Thanks again

Michael
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Thank you all...I've tried to download an image of the LDS microfilm titles and reel numbers but the image is taking up too much memory space.

It lists all the processetti, pubblicazioni, atti diversi, morti, matrimoni, nati etc but in blocks of 10-15 years or so...i.e. processetti 1835-1844, 1844-1852, and so on. Same again for morti.....1901-1910, 1911-1929 and so on. All with their own separate reel number!

My point is that they are all split into separate reels for births/deaths/marriages. There doesn't seem to be one reel that covers all three subjects - or is that 'pubblicazioni'? I don't know what this one would contain. Any ideas on this one?

Is there a specific reel I should look at first i.e. nati? Will this give me the two parents names of the child born, then allowing me to work backwards from there?

Thanks again

Michael
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Could you post a link for the vital records you are looking at or tell us the town and province?

How many rolls of film the records are split into will depend of the size of the comune. In my experience in working with several comunes the births, deaths and marriages have always been split into several rolls.

You order the roll that contains your ancestors birth. That record will give you their birth date and names of their parents and usually the age of the parents. Also watch for notes in the margins. As you proceed back and your tree grows you will add new surnames. At some point you may want to go back to your original roll of film and look for the new surnames.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A word list from the Lds, contains many of the words you will encounter in microfilm.....be sure to click on the next document at the end of each page,
hope this helps.......
wldspirit

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Michael,
VaDeb is right. Give us more specific information about the commune so that we can help you get off to a good start.

What information to you have to start with? What is your goal? Are you looking to make a family tree? Trace one surname as far back as you can? Write a family history? Or are you just happy to find whatever information you can find and go wherever it leads you?

Printed civil birth records (atti di nascita) are some of the easiest to read, relatively speaking. Printed death records (atti di morte) aren't bad either. I found marriage records the most difficult to read. You can see examples of each of these in the books that VaDeb recommended.

The atto di matrimonio is the record of the actual civil marriage. It may give the marriage date and the parents names the ages, professions and birth place of the bride and groom.

The Allegati are all of the documents required before the marriage could take place. These might include birth records for the prospective couple, death records for the couples parents, the atto di solenne promessa (kind of a declaration of intent for marriage) and the marriage bann (called the notificazioni or called the pubblicazioni). In other words this is a genealogist's dream - but not the simplest records to go through. I would not really recommend starting with these records.

Generally speaking, the farther you go back in time the more difficult the records are to read. So, for starters, begin with the reels that are the most recent.

On your first trip to view the film, don't expect too much. Turn through the film for a while. Print out a few records to take home and translate. The next time you go back you'll be able to move faster through the film because you'll know where to look on the records for the surnames.

Finally, one more tip. Don't even start looking through film until you have memorized the numbers 1-31 in Italian as well as the Italian words for the months of the year. Without being able to read the dates on the records you will not be able to progress well through the film.
Donna Pellegrin
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Great advice Donna.

Debbie
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maple62 »

Hi all,

I'm sincerely overwhelmed that people are tripping up over themselves to help others. I can't thank you all enough...

The link for the page is below

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

My aim is ultimately to fill gaps in my family tree. I have started compiling a pedigree chart but am wondering whether the info I need initially would be contained within the birth registers, so would this be the first place to start. As you will see from the link (unless I've got it all wrong, there are quite a few reels).

Thanks again.....

Michael
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

San Mauro Forte is listed on several of these films as well. Have you seen this list?

http://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Library ... ato+civile++
Donna Pellegrin