getting passport

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

getting passport

Post by belmoro19 »

Does anyone know if I can go to a vice or honorary consulate in florida to get passport instead of miami. Dont really have the time right now to go all the way to miami. Do I have to get passport right away or can I wait. Thanks in advance
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: getting passport

Post by Rodio »

You need to appear in person at the consulate, as you will be fingerprinted as part ofthe passport process. The vice consulates do not have the proper equipment to do this, and because of budget constraints, they probably won't for a while. I do know that the LA consulate has had occasional short periods of time where the passport/fingerprint equipment was taken to a vice consulate for passports (I think in Phoenix) and Philadelphia did the same in Pittsburgh; check with Miami if they even do this.

I do not think you need your Italian passport ASAP; as long as you are registered in AIRE, you should be fine until you can schedule a trip to Miami, provided you aren't planning on going to Italy soon.
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Post by belmoro19 »

Thanks Rodio,
Thats what I thought but I thought I would give it a try. Miami is a hike and with its tough to get down there. Not going to I taly til next year so I guess I should be ok for now. Thanks again
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Keep this in mind:

The current cost of an Italian passport is €42,50 plus the first year's Marca da Bollo per Passaporto (a tax stamp) at €40,29. A total of €82,79 which is currently charged in the US at $115.30 (the dollar/euro ratio is recalculated every three months).

That marca da bollo is only good for 12 months and you must have a current one in your passaporto italiana whenever presenting it at an Italian border control point. As an example, if you fly to or from the US directly through Rome, Florence, etc, you had better make certain you have an unexpired marca da bollo affixed to the passport. On the other hand, if you enter the EU through Paris (for example) and then fly on to Italy, you will likely avoid Italian passport control and get away with an expired marca. It's the chance you take; there is a fine for traveling with an expired marca - I don't recall the amount but believe it is substantially more than the 40,29 marca cost.

So, the upshot is this: do not rush to get your passport unless you are certain you will use it within the next 12 months. Otherwise, you will have to return to the consulate to purchase a new marca da bollo. About a year ago, I asked the NYC consulate, "Is it possible to purchase marca da bollo per il passaporto without coming to New York City? Can it be done by mail?" and was told no, the marca can only be purchased at the consulate's cashier desk. This is a shame; I am pretty certain that in Italy the marca can be purchased at any corner tabacchi (see http://goitaly.about.com/od/italytravel ... hi_def.htm.

Marca da Bollo per Passaporto affixed to a passport page:

Click to enlarge.

PS: I don't know if vice consulates sell marca da bollo. Also, I have read that it is possible to purchase the marca at an airport upon arrival rather than having to do so at a consulate prior to departure, but have no independent confirmation of this fact.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)