Need some help - LENTINI family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Need some help - LENTINI family

Post by LeandraCat »

I am trying to connect the LENTINI family to MARRANCO family on my husband's side.
I am having a bit of trouble...

Caterina Garofalo and her daughter Rosaria Marranco came to Perth Amboy, NJ in 1914.
They were coming from Caltanisetta and traveling to Caterina's SON-IN-LAW Mazzaro (Thomas) Lentini. It did not specify the DAUGHTER's name.

It took me a LOOOONG time to find Mazzaro Lentini, but I did.
He arrived to Perth Amboy in 1908, single. In the 1920 NJ Census, he is listed as THOMAS Lentini (35), living with his wife SADIE (25), two daughters: Dorothy (oldest) and Caterina. It says he was married
Mazzaro's mother is DOROTEA NAPOLI. She arrived in 1910 with some of her other kids.
In the 1930 NJ Census, Thomas Lentini (45) is living with a NEW wife, ROSE (27), still his two daughters, and now his mother, too.

So...based on all this, I figured that SADIE must be a Marranco. I figured she must have died or something and Thomas remarried. The 1920 Census says Sadie arrived in 1914, but I cannot find her in the Manifests. I found every OTHER Marranco, but not HER!

Can someone help me out, please? Oh...and I never found who Rosaria Marranco married, but my guess is...she married her brother-in-law, because her sister died. She was 19 in 1914, which is the same age as Sadie...so something doesn't add up.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Julia
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Need some help - LENTINI family

Post by adelfio »

I was just wondering I started researching a little on Mazzaro Lentini the manifest Mar 12 1908 says that it is female on line #4
Than I did a little more research found this birth act from Caltanissetta > Mazzarino > Atti di Nascita > 1884 for Mazzaro Lentini
Click and click again right side
http://postimage.org/image/335wex1fo/
1884 Oct 8 before the civil official in the town of Mazzarino Caltanissetta appeared DOROTEA NAPOLI presented a female child named Mazzara Lentini

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

WOW Marty! Thank you for that, except this confuses me even more! How can this be? Is it a mistake? A type-o in BOTH documents? Or did Dorotea had two kids: MazzarO and MazzarA?

Is there a way for me to search the Mazzarino birth records?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Ancestry has Caltanissetta > Mazzarino marriage birth and death with indexes. If you look at the manifest it says female mother Dorotea Napoli

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

That is so bizzarre! I have Mazzaro lentini living with a WIFE and MOTHER Dorothy in a Census record. I have Thomas MAZZARO Lentini with the same Birthday on a War Draft Card! How in the HECK was he listed as a girl? LOL!
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

Hold on a sec...I have a manifest for MAZZARO LENTINI, 23 years old...MALE...single...S.S. Algeria from Palermo to NY..March 12th 1908.
Which 1908 manifest do YOU have that says it's a FEMALE???
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Index #320 Another child Rosaria Lentini Caltanissetta > Mazzarino > Atti di Nascita > 1882 presented by Rosso Lentini age age farmer 40 and Dorotea Napoli a baby girl named Rosaria Lentini
side note married Carmello Ganni in June 14 1902 in Caltanissetta

click an click to enlarge
http://postimage.org/image/1zyjw9j7o/

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I mean to say on the birth record sorry Julia

Marty

Marty
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

Ok, gotcha! Thank you!

So as far as I knew, Dorotea Napoli had the following children:

Mazzaro (boy) - 1884
Filippo - 1879
Crocifissa - 1887
Anna - 1890
Rocca - 1896
Maria Anna (unknown birth date because she was just listed as a SISTER/DAUGHTER on the Manifest as family member back in Italy)

Now I see there was Rosaria born in 1882!

Can I assume that all of them had the same father: ROSSO LENTINI?
Is there a death record for Rosso?

Thanks again!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Im looking right now for a male Mazzaro in the birth records

Marty

Marty
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

I really appreciate this!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

LeandraCat wrote: Can I assume that all of them had the same father: ROSSO LENTINI?
In a comune with so many births - 320 by August, perhaps 500 per year - you have to be careful about assuming anything. In many larger comuni you can find two or more entirely separate family branches with similar names and birth years.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

I totally understand what you are saying, Johnny!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

No twin or male Mazzaro but heres your Maria Anna Lentini index #417
Caltanissetta > Mazzarino > Atti di Nascita > 1890 Oct 5 presented by Rosso Lentini age age farmer 46 and Dorotea Napoli a baby girl named Maria Anna Lentini
click and click again to enlarge
http://postimage.org/image/6xhh2kkk/

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

THe mother is all the same John. Dorotea Napoli same town Mazzarino same address.

Marty

Marty