Need g-father's NYC b-cert, name on d-cert is different-HELP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
apicelp

Need g-father's NYC b-cert, name on d-cert is different-HELP

Post by apicelp »

Hello All,

The last document I need to obtain in order to move forward with a jure sanguinis application is my grandfather's New York City birth certificate. I was told that I can send a copy of his death cert (which I have) in order to get the birth certificate. Problem is, his first name at birth was Leopoldo, middle name Paul. At some point, he just stopped using Leopoldo and started using Paul. This was not a formal/legal name change, just something he started doing. Now I am concerned that NYC will not issue me Leopoldo's birth certificate based on a death certificate for Paul. The death certificate does not list or mention the name Leopoldo at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this and/or know what I can do to get around this problem? Maybe I should just make a trip up to NYC to plead my case at the office of vital records?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need g-father's NYC b-cert, name on d-cert is different-

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I think you'll get it if the birth certificate says "Leopoldo Paul" and if the date of birth shown on the death certificate matches that of the birth certificate. Just attach a note or letter stating that Leopoldo mostly went by the name Paul during his adult life.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)