Nicola Ricca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
niclin1969

Nicola Ricca

Post by niclin1969 »

I am hoping someone could pass on any info about my great grandfather (Nicola Ricca). I was told by my late Grandmother (Elaine Russonella) that both her Mother and Father were both from Sant' Andrea Di Conza, Italy. I was also told by my Uncle that alot of our family came from Salerno. I would greatly appreciate any info, because I will be going to these places in December.

Thank you very much

Nicola Ricca
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Nicola Ricca

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Nicola. Welcome to the forum.

If you could tell us a bit more, I am sure we can help you out.

As best you can estimate, in what year would your great grandfather have been born?

Your great grandmother's name?

Where did they settle in the US?

In what year was your grandmother Elaine born?

Was Elaine born in the US or in Italy?

Same question for her siblings.

I presume Russonella was her husband's name; is that correct? What was his first name?

Any additional children besides Elaine?

Without trying very hard, I found passenger manifests for Nicola Riccas born about 1844, 1870, 1872, and 1885.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tell me if I have got this right:

Your grandmother's true maiden name was Russoniello. Of the 31 Russoniello's who are listed in the current Italian telephone directory, 14 of them are located in Sant'Andrea di Conza. See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Any chance this is your grandmother?

1930 United States Federal Census about Alexander Russoniello
Name: Alexander Russoniello
Home in 1930: East Orange, Essex, New Jersey
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Anna M Russoniello
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Alexander Russoniello 48
Anna M Russoniello 43
Vito R Russoniello 21
Lena Russoniello 8
Mary Russoniello 7
Tony Russoniello 5
Peter Russoniello 4

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

If the census above is your grandmother and her family, then I am certain this is the manifest for her brother Vito and their mother Anna Maria Ricciardiello.

The 1930 census says Anna arrived in the US in 1906 and Vito in 1920. This manifest however says that neither Anna nor Vito were ever in the US before. Frankly, I think the 1930 census is in error concerning Anna's arrival (common), if for no other reason than that she has no children born between Vito who is 21 in 1930 and Lena who is just 8 years old. The best explanation for this dry spell is that Alesandro was in the US while Anna and son Vito were in Italy during the intervening years (also quite common).

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Vito Russoniello
Name: Vito Russoniello
Arrival Date: 1 Dec 1920
Birth Year: abt 1908
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s andrea di conza
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Providence

Lines 15 and 16, sheet 1:

Sheet 2:
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Probable manifest for Alesandro and brother Pietro traveling together in 1909. Alesandro leaves behind wife Anna Ricciardiello; Pietro leaves behind wife Teresa Giardino (?).

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Alessandro Russoniello
Name: Alessandro Russoniello
Arrival Date: 22 Apr 1909
Birth Year: abt 1883
Birth Location: Auellino (Avellino)
Birth Location Other: s andrea
Ship Name: Principe di Piemonte

Lines 5 & 6, sheet 1:

Sheet 2:
Carmine

niclin1969

Post by niclin1969 »

johnnyonthespot, I am so glad I registered on this site. Im going to try to explain a little better. My Father is Nicholas Ricca, his mother (My Grandmother was Elaine Russoniello, Maiden), My Grandfather was (John Ricca). My Great Grandfather was (Nicola Ricca) dont know what his wife's name. I know that my Grandfather was one of the "Brother's in Ricca Brothers oil and coal co. Also, like I stated in my last email, Both my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother lived in the Sant' Andrea Di Conza. I'm a little confused regarding my Grandmother's maiden name. I thought her Maiden name was Russoniella, im not sure to be honest. Thank you very much for your help. Any other info would be huge,
Nicholas Ricca
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hi, Nicholas.

Can you confirm that the information I posted above about Lena Russoniello and her family is most likely your grandmother?

Very often, in order to find one person (such as your grandfather), we first look for another person (your grandmother). :)

Did your grandparents live in Essex County, New Jersey? If not, then where?

Does 1922 seem to be a reasonable birth year for your grandmother, Elaine? Was your grandfather about the same age?

Where (state, city) was Ricca Brothers Oil and Coal located?

niclin1969 wrote:...
I'm a little confused regarding my Grandmother's maiden name. I thought her Maiden name was Russoniella, im not sure to be honest.
The Russoniella surname does not exist today in Italy in any meaningful numbers (no listings at all in the Italian telephone directory). This is usually a good sign that the spelling is incorrect. Russoniello has a large pocket centered in Sant'Andrea di Conza and an almost equal number scattered throughout Italy: http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... USSONIELLO
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Nicholas Ricca listed in Bellville 1938 directory under Coal Dealers and also under Ice:

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

1938 Newark directory:

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm... Was your grandmother Elaine Russoniello Nicola Ricca's wife, or was she your grandmother on your other side?

Is this your grandfather?

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Nicholas Ricca
Name: Nicholas Ricca
Birth Date: 16 May 1885
Birth Place: Naples, Italy
Residence: Essex, New Jersey
Race: White

Carmine

niclin1969

Post by niclin1969 »

Your right on several fronts. My grandmother's name was Elaine Russoniello. Her husband, my Grandfather was John Ricca. John Ricca was a partner in that Oil and Coal co, and also the Ice distribution co. I do believe they resided in Essex County, Newark I'm told. My Great Grandfather is Nicola or Nicholas Ricca. I guess he was born in Naples but my late Grandmother always mentioned Sant' Andrea Di Conza. I would say that that draft information could be my Great Grandfather Nicolas. I wish I knew. Is that just a "draft Card" or was he Drafted. Thank you so much for your time.

Nick Ricca
niclin1969

Post by niclin1969 »

Thanks again for the help. To be clear, My Father was Nicholas Ricca, Grandfather was John Ricca, and my greatgrandfather was Nicola Ricca. My great Grandfather Nicola is who I wish to find out more about. I was told long ago that our family was from Contursi, My Grandmother said Sant' Andrea Di Conza, And Uncle's who said Salerno. I wish I knew the true area.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is this your great-grandfather, Nicola? Last residence is given as Contursi; I presume that refers to Comune di Contursi Terme, Provincia di Salerno, Regione di Campania - about 21 miles south-southwest of Sant'andrea Di Conza.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Nicola Ricca
Name: Nicola Ricca
Arrival Date: 23 Feb 1906
Birth Year: abt 1885
Ship Name: Algeria

Line 25:
Carmine

niclin1969

Post by niclin1969 »

Carmine, i wish i could sit down with you and pick that awesome brain of yours. Here is what i got. My great Grandfather Nicola Ricca, (DOB 4-17-1885) married my Great Grandmother, Concetta Montone (DOB 4-17-1883). They had 12 children.
Geraldine
John (my Grandfather)
Marco
Sam (did in childhood)
Anthony
Anthony (died in childhood)
Louis
Mary
Mary (died in childhood)
Joseph
Twins (died in childhood

My Great Grandfather started the Coal and Ice company that you spoke of. I really really really would like to find out where he and my GreatGrandmother were from. If I could find out who their parents were, I would be floored.

I also dont know anything about my Grandmothers (Elaine Russoniello)parents. Im in Italy as I write this. I wish I knew where my family came from.
You are an amazing help Carmine. I appreciate everything that people like yourself do for us Dummies. :)))))

Nicholas Ricca