Sagliocchi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Rickieann

Sagliocchi

Post by Rickieann »

I am looking for information about the Sacliocchi surname. My husband's grandfather immigrated to the United States in 1886. He was only 13 or 14 and it is believed he immigrated with a brother. They were from Lione, Italy. We do not have any information about his family in Italy at all. His name was Vincent Sagliocchi and was born March 29, 1873. He married Amelia "Emma" Boley in Pennsylvania in 1898. His name was changed to James Rickens when he went to work on the railroad in Pennsylvania. Any information about this surname would really be appreciated. :D
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Sagliocchi

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This is a tough one.

I have been unable to find a single passenger record (or any other record type) for a Sagliocchi. Even so, if Vincent (Vincenzo?) arrived in 1886, passenger records from that era have very little useful information and would be unlikely to give his his place of birth or last residence (as later manifests do).

The Sagliocchi surname is present in Italy today in only very small numbers if the Italian telephone directory is a guide: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0

As you can see from this map http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... SAGLIOCCHI the bulk of them are located in the Naples area and nearby Caserta province.

The 1920 census is silent on citizenship status and gives the birthplace of James & Emma and also of their parents as Pennsylvania; very unusual - are you very certain of your information?

1920 United States Federal Census about James Rickens
Name: James Rickens
[James Richens]
Home in 1920: Sankertown, Cambria, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Emma Rickens
Father's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Mother's Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James Rickens 47
Emma Rickens 42
Elmer P Rickens 20
Anna M Rickens 17
Edna E Rickens 14
Margaret C Rickens 12
Mildred R Rickens 10
Glenn Rickens 6

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.

The 1900 census shows James being born in Pennsylvania of Italian parents:

1900 United States Federal Census about James Rickens
Name: James Rickens
Home in 1900: Cresson, Cambria, Pennsylvania
[Cambria, Pennsylvania]
Birth Date: Mar 1873
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Emma E Rickens
Marriage year: 1899
Marital Status: Married
Years married: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James Rickens 27
Emma E Rickens 23
Elmer Rickens 4/12 (means 4 months old)

Your thoughts?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Sagliocco is about ten times more common that Sagliocchi. Sagliocca with an "a" adds even more to the mix.

Do you have any documentation which supports one spelling over the other?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

James Rickens WWI draft registration card.

Date of birth is given as March 27, 1873 (not March 29) and wife's name is Camelia, not Amelia. He says here he is a naturalized US citizen.

Blank card, for reference:

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Rickieann wrote: They were from Lione, Italy.
There is no such place in Italy today; the nearest I could come up with is Comune di Lioni, Provincia di Avellino, Regione di Campania, Southern Italy. Currently, there are no Sagliocchi's anywhere in Avellino province (at least, not in the telephone directory).
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

johnnyonthespot wrote:James Rickens WWI draft registration card.

Date of birth is given as March 27, 1873 (not March 29) and wife's name is Camelia, not Amelia. He says here he is a naturalized US citizen.

Sorry, I posted the wrong draft card. Here is the correct one:

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is that your tree on ancestry.com, member name "jandgrick" ?

I am curious about the story in which is described how the name Vincent Sagliocchi was found on the back of the marriage certificate. Did it actually plainly state that this was his birth name and location?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

[deleted - Carmine]
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Then they found out that when he went to work on the railroad, his boss was unable to pronounce his name...
Take these stories with a grain of salt. Like many Italian names, the pronunciation is much simpler than the spelling. Sagliocchi = sal-YO-key. Listen to it at http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/t ... hp?sitepal
Carmine

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi, the birthplace, surely is Lioni, Avellino province.
In Lioni town are Sagliocca surname...
No Sagliocchi..
I found this arrival by castlegarden.org:
SAGLIOCCA V. 17 M 13 May 1890 U

the same record on ancestry.com, with bad surname mispelled :
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about V Laglicca
Name: V Laglicca ( SAGLIOCCA)
Arrival Date: 13 May 1890
Birth Year: abt 1873
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Fiume and Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Anglia

by LDS microfilms of Lioni civil records, you can try Vincenzo Sagliocca birth record:
Registri dello stato civile di Lioni (Avellino), 1809-1910, 1926 Lioni (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile

Births, marriages, banns, deaths, miscellaneous documents, citizenship records. Many records between 1866 and 1910 are missing

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Lioni+%28 &columns=*,0,0
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
michellerickens

Post by michellerickens »

I have just started looking up information on my family. James Rickens and Ameila Emma (Boyle) Rickens were my great-grandparents. My grandfather was their oldest son Elmer.
I found this today and was in complete shock. We had no idea that the last name had been changed in this way. We had always been told that it was probably changed at Ellis Island and assumed it was something like "Riccio" or "Ricco". This was very interesting information and I am now looking into this particular last name. I will post if I find anything at all.
michellerickens

Post by michellerickens »

I forgot to also add.........the information about the name being changed from Sagliocchi to Rickens is written on the back of my great-grandparents marriage certificate. I don't know if it was someone else's "testimony" or was what my great-grandfather had told them. It is interesting to know this though and maybe I'll be able to find out some sort of information on that surname.