Paying for services in Italy from Australia

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Paying for services in Italy from Australia

Post by acartia »

I am thinking of getting someone in Italy to obtain about 5 civil record certificates for me, and then maybe another batch next year. Now what I am not sure of is how is it the best way to pay a researcher in Italy to do this for me.I have a Master Card and possibly access to paypal, but I doubt I could use either of these to pay someone. Now, I have always heard about payment by Bank Draft, but I do not know much about it, but I do think it may be similar or the same as what I call a Bank Cheque(Check).Now a bank cheque here in Australia, requires me to go to my bank, I ask the bank to write a cheque in the required payment amount in Euros. They do that for me, and I pay the bank the equivalent in Ozz dollars plus their service fee of about $25. So the money is all paid up front,I send theBank Cheque away, but then what worries me, is if these bank cheques are readily cashed in Italy. Meaning are they accepted there? On top of that is there a fee for the receiver even if they are accepted by an Italian bank? Maybe it`s best to hear from someone in Italy,who has been paid by someone from Australia, and how did they pay? I am trying to avoid getting Euro notes down here, because getting foreign notes for any foreign country can be a real pain, as I have found out over the years trying to get US and Canadian notes.Would appreciate any thoughts on this,Thanks, John
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Paying for services in Italy from Australia

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I think you will find that most of the professional researchers working in Italy (including several of our board members) accept PayPal or have made other arrangements for easy payment.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Haztek
Master
Master

Post by Haztek »

Also MoneyGram!
Researching Crispino, Simeone, Cillo, & Girardi in Rotondi & Cervinara. Malvuccio, Lo Grande, Astone, & Munforti in Raccuja.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Paypal is the way to go. Banks here charge fees for everything even cashing bank drafts. I live here and still use my Canadian Bank rather than open an account here. One day maybe the State Archives will accept Paypal!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Thank you all for giving me a good idea on how to pay into Italy from outside.Great to hear that PayPal could be an accepted way to do it.I do not have my own PayPal account, but my son does, so I cannot see any problem him doing the transfer for me, if that is what is requested.I realised that PayPal is the accepted payment method on eBay, but did not know that it is used for other areas of money transfer....I just seemed to think it was an eBay internal thing. Now having a look at Haztek`s suggestion re MoneyGram, I also was vague how they operated.I am from the era of Telegrams only! I checked on a couple of Australian sites that deal in MoneyGrams.One company offers to charge zero fees and give you the best exchange rate of anyone, but it has to be for a minimum of A$2000.Well I do not think 5 certificates would cost that!....How would that company make money??!!. Now a second company will send any amount by MoneyGram and it would cost about $35 in fees...Well that,s OK, it is what I would expect.I have to travel into the city for the MoneyGrams, so PayPal would be easier....But either are reasonably easy to achieve. Ann I will take your suggestion and forget about Bank Cheques or Bank Drafts, they sound hopeless for sending money to another country. Of course it will all depend on how the person wants to be paid, but it does look like either of those two methods suggested. Thanks Carmine, Haztek and Ann for your response and as always,very informative comments/suggestions. John