Need help with Ship Arrival

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Need help with Ship Arrival

Post by Mardi »

Need help once again, I have tried to find information on my own, but hit a brick wall.
I am looking for when John Fonetenetto/Fonetenetta, (also spelled many differt ways) and his wife Mary Patello,came to the USA. I did find two Census (1910 Census name was spelled John Montenet) and also 1930 Census (John Fontenell) he and Mary (wife) was living with their son Angelo and Rosa, (Angelo's wife). According to the 1920 Census it has year of Immigration 1880/1884 and on the 1930 Census it has 1880. With the last name spelled so many ways, I am having a difficult time....could someone please help.
As always, I appreciate you help. Thanks Mardi
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need help with Ship Arrival

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I believe the name you are looking for may actually be Fontanetta.

Even more common would be Fontaneto with one "t".

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... m=0&sug=qs
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also, just a thought - Patella is 90 times more common than Patello in the current Italian telephone directory with 540 listings vs. just 6.

See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

What is the basis for your assumption regarding the Fontenetto (or whatever) surname? Is this a name which is in your family and known to you, or a new surname which you have just found?

The reason I ask is that, looking again at the 1920 census (below, for other readers), I wonder if the correct name is not Fontanella, which is quite common in modern Italy. See http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... FONTANELLA

Carmine

Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Thank you for your post, yes, the name Fontenetto also spelled Fontenette, is in my family Tree. I did also find the 1920 Census and the ones listed are the ones I am seeking ship arrival for John and his wife Mary, since they were the only ones born in Italy. As you can also see that the name has been spelled in so many different ways that it has been impossible to find their ship the they came over to American on. Thank you - you have been very helpful....Mardi
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I think the point I was trying to make is that neither Fontenetto nor Fontenette appear to exist in Italy today nor can they be found in lists of Italian surnames. This is a very good sign that both spellings are incorrect.

I have a very strong suspicion that the first "e" is supposed to be an "a" and an equally strong suspicion that the double-t was originally a double-l. All in all, the most common of several variants which actually exist in Italy is Fontanella.

Contrary to popular belief, the names on manifests are generally spelled and written correctly, though often transcribed incorrectly.
Carmine

Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Thanks again. On the Spelling, I was going by one that was a great -granddaughter of the Fontenetto's and said that the name was changed to Fontenette upon immigration. I have the 1920 and 1930 Census....what I'm really looking for, is the Ship's name the John Fontenetto/Fontenette arrived on.....and also was he married at the time of arrival, because his children were not born in Italy. Thanks Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this manifest :D that may be Maria with son Michelangelo and daughter Giovanna, arriving 1890... Port of NEW ORLEANS
October 1890 on the SS Entella.

Maria Concetta Patella, age 36,
Son - Michelangelo FONTANETA, age 5
DGTR - Giovanna FONTANETA, age 3y 5m.

Not much other information on the manifest... :(

Line 259

On the 1910 Census, Maria indicates that she has had 3 children, but only 2 are living. Could Michelangelo above be Angelo? and could Giovanna have died? Just a thought?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Looks pretty good to me. :)
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

What about this?

This appears to be the family in the above manifest... 1900 Census
Living in Louisiana...
Children listed as born in Italy :?

1900 United States Federal Census
about John Fontanet
Name: John Fontanet
[Joseph Fontanes]
Home in 1900: Police Jury Ward 1, Lafourche, Louisiana
[Lafourche, Louisiana]
Birth Date: Apr 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1891

Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Confeta Fontanet
Marriage year: 1880
Marital Status: Married
Years married: 20
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Fontanet 40
Confeta Fontanet 40
Angelo Fontanet 13
Jennie Fontanet 11

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Could only find one manifest for Giovanni Fontaneta...

Arriving on SS Trinacria, at Port of New Orleans, 1889, October (a year before the above arrival of Maria and children)
Age 37...
Looks like he is traveling with a passenger named PAOLO FONTANETA
Leaving from port of Palermo...
Not much else on the manifest...

Line 37

T.
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mardi »

Great response from all of you. Let me see if I can sort this out.

Tessa78...On this Manifest, I have Angelo being born in Louisiana in 1891. I was also told that Angelo had a siblings (sister) but do not have her name.....but I will keep this information just in case

Also on the 1900 Census.....Year of birth do not match up to John, Maria or Angelo

Tessa78....On the manifest arrival 1889 for Giovanni I did find that one. The years of John and Mary's birth that I have from the 1910 and 1920 are not adding up.
johnnyonthespot and Tessa78....You guys are great and thanks for searching and sending me this information. I will copy it and check it out real good. Thank you....Mardi
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Mardi wrote:Great response from all of you. Let me see if I can sort this out.

Tessa78...On this Manifest, I have Angelo being born in Louisiana in 1891. I was also told that Angelo had a siblings (sister) but do not have her name.....but I will keep this information just in case

Also on the 1900 Census.....Year of birth do not match up to John, Maria or Angelo

Tessa78....On the manifest arrival 1889 for Giovanni I did find that one. The years of John and Mary's birth that I have from the 1910 and 1920 are not adding up.
johnnyonthespot and Tessa78....You guys are great and thanks for searching and sending me this information. I will copy it and check it out real good. Thank you....Mardi
Yes, I saw the discrepancies... but be aware that census information can be notoriously inaccurate...
Keep this information aside...go back to it later when you have more evidence...
Just don't discount it for birthdate information...we see these differences often. :-)

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I looked at the 1910 census. And looked, and looked again. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can offer a solid opinion on what it says regarding ages or year of immigration for John and Mary - it is so badly blurred and the contrast is so poor.

If you are really interested, a $25.00 copy from the National Archives may or may not prove to be more legible. https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BTW - The 1920 Census has Angelo's place of birth as TEXAS! :-D
More food for thought!?! :lol:

AND...
Who might this be?

WWI Registration for Angelo Fontanetta, living in Assumption, Louisiana (1918) This is the same as 1920 Census residence...
Birthdate is June 12, 1880 :?
Born in Italy :?
Nearest relative is Mrs. Angela Fontanetta :?

T.