USCIS Certificate of Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

USCIS Certificate of Naturalization

Post by reboot365 »

I have the original copy of my GGF's naturalization certificate, which I think is sufficient for the NY Consulate. However, just to be over prepared, I want to get certified copies of the Certificate of Naturalization and the Petition of Naturalization. I went to the NE National Archives today, and they told me that because he naturalized in a state court, the petition would be at the county, and the certificate at the USCIS. I think I will be fine with the petition, but the USCIS website clearly states that they do not provide certified copies.

Does the copy of the Certificate of Naturalization need to be certified? And doesn't it need to be certified in order to get an apostille?

I might as well throw another question in here regarding naturalization that I have. My GGM also naturalized years after my GGF. I would prefer NOT to show her naturalization records since she anglicized her last name (Guglielmi -> Williams) on them. Thankfully, my GGF doesn't have this problem. For the NY Consulate, Form 1 asks you to list the relatives you are descending from along with their, if applicable, naturalization info. Is this form only for the direct line, which would mean I don't need to get her naturalization info involved?

Thanks for any help.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: USCIS Certificate of Naturalization

Post by JJ313 »

I am not sure what you mean by :original copy" of the naturalization certificate. If you have your GGF's original certificate, make a copy of it and bring both to your appointment. The consulate will keep the copy and give you back the original. If you only have a copy of the original then you will need a certified copy. The naturalization certificate does not require an apostille.

If your grandfather was born prior to 1948 you need not concern yourself with your GGM's naturalization.

On Form 1 you would list the information for the direct and indirect line.
reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reboot365 »

Thanks for the response. Yes, sorry about my wording, but I do have the original certificate, so I should be fine. My concern was that it seems to be impossible to get a certified copy of the certificate of naturalization from the USCIS. I was curious as to what people do in that situation.

I'm applying GGF-GM-F-Me. My F was born after 1948 so it's okay. But my worry is that the Form 1 requires you to list the naturalization info for my GGM even though she's not direct line. If I have to write it down there, then do I need to bring her naturalization information as proof?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

On Form 1 you are supposed to list all information in your possession in good faith so I can not tell you to intentionally withhold information from the form. All I can say is that if your GM was born prior to 1948 then your GGM could not affect your GM's citizenship as women could not pass on citizenship prior to 1/1/1948. I would list the naturalization but not produce the certificate as it is not relevant.