My family from Pofi Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cakes413

My family from Pofi Italy

Post by cakes413 »

I am hoping to find my grandfathers, grandmothers last name...My grandfather, Pietro Giovannini..he came to america when he was 6 years old in 1910...his mother was Domen ica Crescenzi..His Father was Salvatore Giovannini who sailed from naples in 1907..his wife and 5 children followed 3 years later.,Today I was able to see my grandfathers obituary and was surprised to find that he had a sister in Pofi by the name of mrs.Joseph castellini.I have joined Ancestry.com only to hit a road block at the 1930 census that told that they lived in Trenton New Jersey at that time..then.NOTHING..I am at wits end tonight so I'm hoping that someone can help me..
Thanks in advance
Patti :shock:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: My family from Pofi Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, Patti.

Do I understand correctly that you are trying to find the full maiden name of Salvatore Giovannini's mother?

I located Salvatore's 1907 manifest and it clearly states that he was born in Pofi. That being the case, you may wish to simply write to Pofi and request Salvatore's birth act which will include the names and ages of both his parents.

We can tell you how to do this; however if I am mis-reading your question, please take a moment to clarify.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cakes413

Post by cakes413 »

Thank you, Carmine
You read me correctly..I would like to find both, Salvatore's mother and fathers name..It's not clear to me if his Parents came to America or stayed in Italy.I would like to know how I can write to Pofi to find these things out.
Thanks
Patti
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi again, Patti.

Sorry I missed your reply!

You can write to Comune di Pofi and request the birth acts of Salvatore and Domenica as well as their marriage act. You can find various letter templates here or at other web sites; I have had good results with the following:

10 agosto 2011 [agosto is August; month names in italian are written lower case]

[your name]
[your address]

STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Pofi
Piazza Municipio, 1
03026 Pofi FR
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo affinché mi aiutiate a reperire:

* Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita
* Copia integrale dell'atto di Matrimonio

per il mia bisnonni:

* GIOVANNINI SALVATORE nato nel Comune di Pofi, in data circa 1859-1862, paternità incerto, maternità incerto

* CRESCENZI DOMENICA nato nel Comune di Pofi, in data circa 1867-1868, paternità incerto, maternità incerto

* Celebrato lo matrimonio nel Comune di Pofi in data circa 1885-1888

Vi prego di farmi sapere quanto dovuto per il servizio e per i costi di spedizione.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

Birth/marriage/death photocopies of original registry pages are called: Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte. These are more difficult to read but contain lots of additional useful information compared to...

Birth/marriage/death computer-generated (sometimes hand-written) extracts are: Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte

Most comuni do not charge for these documents. Do send a large, self-addressed (but not stamped) envelope if possible; be sure to put "STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA" in the final line of your address. It is also a good idea to include a copy of your ID (driver's license, for example) as some comuni will not process requests without it.

Alternatively, you can try sending the above via e-mail to anagrafe@comune.pofi.fr.it - some comuni respond well to email requests; others not at all.

I calculated the date ranges above based on the manifests and the 1930 census; since there are discrepancies in the ages on these three documents, I specified a range of years for each item.

"incerto" means uncertain; on the off chance that you know any of Salvatore's or Domenica's parents' names, you can replace incerto with the actual name, written last name first.

One problem you may face is that the month of August is vacation time in Italy and many government offices operate with minimal hours and skeleton crew if they open at all. Therefore, you may find your request will take even longer than usual to process.

Relationships:

Father: padre
Mother: madre
Son: figlio
Daughter: figlia
Grandson: nipote
Granddaughter: nipote
Sister: sorella
Brother: fratello
Uncle: zio
Aunt: zia
Grandfather: nonno
Grandmother: nonna
Great grandfather: bisnonno
Great grandmother: bisnonna
Great great grandfather: trisavolo
Great great grandmother: trisavola
Cousin: cugino (male) cugina (female)
Nephew: nipote
Niece: nipote
Husband: marito
Wife: moglie
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cakes413

Post by cakes413 »

Thank you so much, Carmine!
This is wonderful information, Way more than I have gotten on any other site that I enrolled in..I'll get on this right away and not be excited if I don't hear a reply quickly..Thanks for that info too.
I love this site..I have found so much other helpful information that has tied up some loose ends and cleared lots of things up for me.
I was able to find my grandfathers grave site and tombstone,which I haven't seen in so many years.It is in Trenton New Jersey and I now live in Spokane Washington.I have also been able to find his Obituary. This internet is a remarkable thing.
My grandfather died in 1951 when I was just 6 years old..I remember a lot of things about his death and funeral..I forgot a few of the details which now I know..

I would like to thank you again for all of your help
you are a miracle worker in my eyes

Sincerely
Patti
SFabrizi

Post by SFabrizi »

Carmine, Could you help me out? I come to a complete stop myself with research. I was able to find out that my Great Grandfather cam from Pofi, but that's as far as I get. I would love to know who his Parents and siblings were.
First Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Fabrizi
Date of Birth: 13 nov 1892

He married in the US, went to the US in 1910 with Antonio Ianucci (not sure on relation)
I was told he had several brothers too, they all went to the US. Can you help me gnerate a letter. I'm afraid I will not get the letter right!

Thank you,
Sherrie Fabrizi Allbritten
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Pofi was in the Papal States and did not start keeping civil records until about 1873 (maybe later). You should be able to get records after this year but prior to that you will need a search of the parish records not all of which have survived and those that have are not in great condition. The priest looks after all the parishes in town and won't do research unless you have dates.
The LDS microfilms are missing many years but the town does have most of them.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
SFabrizi

Post by SFabrizi »

Need some help please! I wrote the comuni and received this response:

Da Comune di Pofi (Frosinone) - Servizi demografici

Sig. Fabrizi, in riscontro alla presente sua richiesta, Le comunico che nei registri di questo Comune risulta iscritto l'atto di nascita di tale FABRIZI Giuseppe Maria nato a Pofi (FR) il 13 novembre 1892, di sicuro trattasi della persona che Lei cerca.
Pertanto affinchè io Le possa inviare la copia integrale di tale atto di nascita è necessario che Lei mi invii una domanda firmata con allegata la copia del Suo documento di riconoscimento, anche scannerizzati e trasmessi stesso mezzo.
Distinti saluti.
Il Responsabile Luigi Campoli

Where do I get an application? I requested one but have not heard back.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

He wants a written request and some photo ID in order to send a photocopy of the record he has found which is not 1882 but 1892 but he is sure it is the record you want.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
SFabrizi

Post by SFabrizi »

Dear Ann,
I so appreciate your help! I responded to his email the other dayand included my passport, will this be enough?

Ciao,

Grazie per la vostra risposta rapida! Per favore potete inviarmi una richiesta che ho bisogno di completare allegato in una email. Si allega una copia del mio passaporto.
Mi scuso per eventuali errori di grammatica, sto usando un traduttore computer.
Non vedo l'ora di sentire da voi,