Great Grandfather's Birthplace

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kenwallace

Great Grandfather's Birthplace

Post by kenwallace »

I am trying to trace the birthplace of my great grandfather. Here is the information I have been able to find:

Name: Gaetano Varelli
Born: 5 Feb. 1877
Immigrated to the US: Left Naples on 23 Dec 1906 and arrived in New York on 12 Jan 1907.

Ancestry.com shows his city of previous residence from the ship's registry to be Caprogiovanni, but I believe they have mis-interpreted the handwritten entry and it is more likely Castrogiovanni (now Enna). I can only assume he was born in this same area.

I have no idea where to begin to try to track down this information--thank you for any help anyone might provide!

Ken
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Great Grandfather's Birthplace

Post by Michael31 »

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Civil records for Enna have been microfilmed and can be ordered and viewed at any Family History Centre. www.familysearch.org click on Library
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Yes i do believe he was from Castrogiovanni, as he was going to see his Cousin Giovanni Salamone (Salamone surname is afrom Castrogiovanni), and also his place of birth states Castrogiovanni on the Travel Document.

Castrogiovanni definately if is Wife was called Paola and he also had a brother called Paolo!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
DarrelDWilson

Post by DarrelDWilson »

I know that this post is almost 4 years old now, but I just joined this site and came across it. My Great Grandfather was Angelo Salamone, who was on the same ship as Gaetano Varelli. He listed his brother as Giovanni Salamone, so they were obviously the same family. I haven't yet found any birth or marriage documents for either Angelo or Gaetano. Where should I start looking? Thanks in advance.