Guariglia from Craco - Califano from Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
guysguy

Guariglia from Craco - Califano from Naples

Post by guysguy »

Giovanni Guariglia aka Juan Guariglia or aka John Guariglia likely born in Craco, Basilicata, Italy between 1869-1879 and according to the 1910 Census of Manhattan, Kings County, New York, he immigrated about 1892 - 1893 and he lived on Baxter Street. I could not find him in the 1900 Census perhaps due to misspelling of his name or illegible handwriting. According to the 1910 census he was age 31 - born 1879 in Italy. I found a Giovanni Guariglia who had come to New York arriving August 21, 1893 from Port of Naples at age 24 (some distance from Craco) and this Giovanni Guariglia was born circa 1869 in Italy. He arrived with one bag (alone?) and (single?) on the ship named Weser from Naples Italy. His manifest number was 0691 and his occupation was listed as laborer. Could the Giovanni Guariglia born in 1869 be the same one as the one born in 1879 - perhaps errors or misinformation given at different times? The Giovanni Guariglia I seek married in 1896 in New York City to Lucrezia Luerzine Veltri and "Grazia" or "Grezia" was her nickname in the census. Her last name could be Veldra or Vildra (as the writing appears to be) or more likely Veltri. She was a daughter of Maria Veltri, a widow who lived with the Guariglia family in the 1910 Census. Maria Veltri had been born about 1855 in Italy. Giovanni and Lucrezia Guariglia lived in Manhattan and/or Brooklyn NY as according to the 1910 census there were found in Manhattan (Ward 6)- Baxter Street and in the 1920 Census in Brooklyn (District 9)at 1231 60th Street. Their children, born either in Manhattan or Brooklyn, New York were: James Guariglia or Vincent Guariglia b. 1897; Joseph Guariglia b. 1901; Mary Guariglia b. 1905; Vitantonio Guariglia or Vito Guariglia or Anthony Guariglia b. 1906; Mildred Guariglia or Millie Guariglia b. 1904; Antonette Guariglia or Antonetta Guariglia b. 1909; Lena Guariglia b. 1913; Pasqualle Guariglia or Patty Guariglia b. 1915; and John Guariglia b. June 1919. Anthony or Vito Guariglia married in 1928 in Brooklyn to Anna Califano or Annie Califano or Fannie Califano. Anthony Guariglia died in Brooklyn on 6 August 1970 and was buried at Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn. He was a sanitation worker per the census. His wife, Anna Califano or Annie Guariglia died 8 January 1992 in New York and was also buried at Greenwood Cemetery. I could not find Giovanni Guariglia in the 1900 Census of NY or the 1930 Census of New York. Giovanni Guariglia is likely to have returned to Craco Italy in the 1920s where he died in the 1950s. He started there a successful paper company as his occupation in New York had been in paper stock.
guysguy

Re: Guariglia from Craco - Califano from Naples

Post by guysguy »

Some additional info after reviewing the 1920 Census of New York - Apparently Giovanni Guariglia, wife Lucrezia Guariglia and their son, James (Vincent) Guariglia (born 1897 in New York) returned about 1899 to Italy - likely Craco - as their second son, Joseph Guariglia, was born in Italy in 1901 and NOT in New York as earlier stated. Thus the reason why they were NOT found in the 1900 Census of New York. The 1920 census of New York says Joseph Guariglia was an alien and immigrated to New York in 1904. Therefore, the family returned from Italy in 1904 to New York where their third child, Mary Guarilia, was born in New York in 1905 as were their subsequent children as shown in the previous query. The family is also found living in the 1930 Census in Brooklyn, New York (16th Ward) where they are found renting at 1375 65th Street between 13th and 14th Avenue.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the website possible marriage record from New York for Giovanni 1896
Groom's Name:Giovanni Guariglio
Brides Name: Legrezia Baldassarre
click for record
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MY9G-172/p4

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to the website possible marriage record from New York for Giovanni 1896
Groom's Name:Giovanni Guariglio
Brides Name: Legrezia Baldassarre
click for record
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MY9G-172/p4

Marty
To "piggy-back" on Marty's find...

From NYC MARRIAGE INDEX...
Guariglio Giovanni Apr 30 1896 Manhattan 7081
Baldassarre Legrezia Apr 30 1896 Manhattan 7081

Using the certificate number 7081 and borough of Manhattan, you can request this record online from NYC Vital records...
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml

T.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

I should be heading to the NYC Municipal Archives this week to conduct more research (if all goes according to plan.) Would you like me to check this marriage certificate for you while I'm there?
guarig74

Post by guarig74 »

My great grandfather is Pasquelle Guariglia, father of my Grandfater John Guariglia. He is buried in Calvary 1 in Queens.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi guarig74!

My GGrandfather Carlo (b. 1867, Craco) immigrated to New York and lived on Baxter Street for a while. He had two brothers: Francesco (b.1858) and Pasquale (b. 1862). Do you know who your Pasquale's parents were, or if he had any siblings? I'm not sure if there is a connection between your Guariglia's and mine, but would like to explore the possibility.