So many questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

So many questions

Post by tawg »

Hi everyone,

You all have been so incredibly helpful in the past with translating documents, and helping me with a variety of things. I do appreciate everything :)

It has been brought to my attention that I am eligible for dual citizenship. My great grandfather immigrated from Italy to the US, fell in love, had children (one including my grandfather), and then became a naturalized citizen about 10 years later.

I have a wide collection of documents, so I am doing my best to find everything to get this to work! However, I do not have my grandfathers original birth certificate. I have my great grandfathers certificate from Parma, Italy. My grandfather was born in New York City. On the NYC gov website, it states only a parent of a child can get the birth certificate. How would I go about getting his birth certificate, as seeing that he is two generations older than me, as well as deceased. I have his death certificate, and a few other things, but I do know the Miami consulate requires the birth certificate.

Also, I'm reading I need apostilles? What does this even mean? Is it like having a document notarized? If so, would I need it for all documents? Or just my great grandfathers? I also read I need translations? Do I go through an official translator? Or where do I go?

I have an original copy of his naturalization paper, but I was told this does not need a translation or apostille.

If someone could please send me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it! I have the majority of the records being asked for! Here's to hoping I can get this done :D
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Re: So many questions

Post by Drew927 »

Tawg,
Mail a NYC request form for your Granfathers birth certificate. On the application box 13 state your relationship and also in box 10 state that it is for Dual citizenship. In box 11 check yes for a letter of exemplification. I was able to get my fathers this way. Once you recieve this birth certificate it will have to be notarized with the letter of exemplification along with all other NYC documents at the NY county clerks office 60 Centre st. NY, NY 10007.

You will need to translate U.S. documents, Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates for all. E-mail Gabriella Einaga, gabriella_einaga@att.net She is very reasonable and accurate.

An Apostille is required for all the U.S. birth, death and marriage documents and are obtained from the State Department of the state from which it is issued. The New york Depatrment of State office is at 123 William St # 20 New York, NY 10038-3804. The Naturalization document does not need an apostille.
Good luck
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Tawg, when did your GGF naturalize? If it is after 7/1/1912 then you would qualify, if before then your GF would have lost Italian citizenship.

Naturalization documents do not require translation or apostille.

To be on the safe side you should include your GF DC with the application for BC. They will return the DC to you.

Since you will be applying in Miami with documents that originate in other consulate jurisdictions (NY) you will have to get the documents authenticated by the NY consulate. This procedure is done after obtaining the apostille and translation.

You are not required to use a certified translator or even one of the translators on the consulate's recommended list, it just makes things easier. Many have recommended Gariella, I did my own translations and they were approved by NY.
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tawg »

Drew - Thank you so much! I will try emailing Gabriella later today.

JJ - Thank you for the help! Yes, he was naturalized in 1939. What do you mean by "authenticated" by the NY Consulate? Do I have to contact them before I go to the consulate in Miami? I was told they are very strict in NY. I don't think I will have an issue, but I am still very nervous about completing this process!

Another question I have which might seem silly, but do they usually keep the documents for review? Or when I make an appointment (which I was told is a 13 month wait? ouch) do they just look at the documents there?
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Tawg,

The authentification by the NY consulate is required. JJ is correct. You will send the apostilled and translated documents to the NYC consulate and they will attach a document to it. For a fee of course. I had to do this with a birth cert that was from California. If you call ahead, you may be able to expidite this request. The consulate will keep all the documents for your direct line. In NY,they kept only copies of my indirect line.
Hope this helps.
Drew
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tawg »

Drew,

Thank you so much for your help! My mother is going to apply with me as well. Another question I have is regarding what I need for the Consulate. I see on the Italian Miami Consulate website it states this :

DECLARATION THAT YOUR FATHER HAS NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, LISTING ALL HIS PLACES OF RESIDENCE (if he is living, ask him to sign his own affidavit, listing all his places of residence). If not signed before us his signature must be notarized. Copy of his passport and driver license are requested. Use Form 3

For my mothers sake - my grandfather (her father) is deceased. It doesn't state what to do if he is deceased. What is she supposed to do? Or should I even bother with this now? I've read that the consulates sometimes make you fill in the form right then and there. I'm probably worrying about nothing :lol:
Agrigentonio

Post by Agrigentonio »

when I make an appointment (which I was told is a 13 month wait? ouch) do they just look at the documents there?
I just made an appointment for my mother with the Italian Consulate in Miami...August 2013!!!
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tawg »

Wow! How is it possible to be that backed up? I wonder if there is any way to get a quicker appointment? Is it really possible it will take 20 something months :o

Also, just to confirm: For each document I need to obtain - I obtain the document, then get it apostilled, then translated, and then I have to send it to NYC if it originated there? Wow, this is a lot of mailing back and forth.
Agrigentonio

Post by Agrigentonio »

The wait for Philadelphia is almost one year to the day of calling, which I was expecting.

Like Philadelphia, Miami uses an outside service for booking appointments. The man I spoke with for the Miami appointment gave no other option for getting my mother an earlier appointment. Please let me know if you have better results.

I am considering going through an immigration lawyer in Italy for my entire family.
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tawg »

I am calling first thing tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it turns out. I've been reading that the consulate in San Francisco is very quick. Too bad I don't live across the country :(
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Tawg,
Your mother will have to submit form 4, Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant. You will find it on the consulate website. If you are going together, you will only need one copy of this form. You will both have to complete Forms 1 & 2. Have them notarized and ready for your appointment. You don't want to fill them out on the spot. This allows the meeting to move along.

Gathering and authenticating the documents is a very long process. I would suggest mailing only a few at a time. If they were lost, you would have alot of ground to make up.
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tawg »

Drew - I understand. Thank you again.

Agrigentonio - I just called. My appointment is also for August of 2013. Ridiculous.
Agrigentonio

Post by Agrigentonio »

And that's just the first appointment! At best it will be 2014 before a passport is issued. As I said, we're looking at other options. Good luck to you and your Mom.

Tony
tawg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tawg »

Best of luck to you as well! Please let me know if you do find a quicker (and possibly cheaper? haha) way with the Italian immigration lawyer!