Dual CItizenship - Where to get Apostille & Translations????

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Dual CItizenship - Where to get Apostille & Translations????

Post by anima87ag »

Buon giorno a tutti,

I am super confused about this process for dual citizenship. :shock: I have written to a Comune for documents which I presume would already have an Apostille?

The remainder of my documents I will collect from NYS and some of them will be newly certified and the other originals.

SInce I am living in London, I will book my appointment here in the UK. The Consulate in London told me to get the Apostille & Italian translation at the NY Consulate, but no word from them as of yet.

So, the real question is where/how to get the Apostille for NYS records? And, where to do the Italian translations? (if not at the NY Consulate itself)

I just want to certain everything is official and proper prior to my appointment here in the UK. I would sincerely appreciate any help with the matter, I really need to get on track.

Mille grazie, :D :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Dual CItizenship - Where to get Apostille & Translations

Post by ricbru »

Dear Anima87,
documents from Italy dont need apostille, it is needed from secretary of state where birth, marriage and death occurred.
Translation can be done from an official translator, or from any translator who can do it properly.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Thanks. Should these documents be translated before they receive the Apostille certification? Or can I translate the English original copies?

I am not sure of the format it has to be translated in. Such as a paper copy of the Italian translation with the documents? If that were the case it would be simple to translate such birth records myself since there is minimal info.

Thanks again,

Anima
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Since I did many translations, until a couple of months ago, I always let people get the document then the apostille, and apostille should not be translated. I usually translate all the complete documents, and all the items, with all the little cells, a long job but worth.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
anima87ag wrote:Thanks. Should these documents be translated before they receive the Apostille certification? Or can I translate the English original copies?

I am not sure of the format it has to be translated in. Such as a paper copy of the Italian translation with the documents? If that were the case it would be simple to translate such birth records myself since there is minimal info.

Thanks again,

Anima
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

It's not clear from your post if you are referring to original Italian documents or those from NYS, so here's just a quick reminder that the age of any certified documents from NYS is important when requesting an apostille - too old and the state dept may not be able to issue the apostille for the document. (Apostilles are not issued by the consulate, but by the state department.) Also, if your Italian originals are really old, you may want to request new ones.

Translations will probably need to be legalized for use outside of the US. If you choose a translator from NY, the translations will most likely need to be legalized at the consulate in NYC. There is a fee involved.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Buon giorno,

Yes, indeed, I was referring to the NYS documents. Most of the documents will be brand new and in short form. Do you happen to know if a long form certificate is required (death, marriage, & birth)?

Most of the documents that are issued are in short form such as my birth record & my grandfather's death record, etc.

Also, do you have any recommendations where I can find an affordable translator (like an Italian graduate)?

Most agencies have been charged ridiculous sums of money like $70 per document. As you said, I want to have a legitimate translator, so I don't have to get it legalized by the Consulate also.

Thanks for your help! :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

birth, marriage and death records must be long form
ciao Riccardo
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Most certified, long-form vital records are issued by the NYS Dept of Health. There have been a few people who have been able to obtain a long-form record from a NYS town clerk, but normally they must be requested from the state. Many times, the records issued by NYS town clerks are considered short-forms, because they do not contain as much information as the ones issued by NYS. NYSDOH will also send along your certified document to the state department for an apostille, if you request this when you place an order. (Unless they've changed the rules.)

Just because you choose a translator on a (US) consulate's list, or you choose someone who will certify the translations, doesn't mean that you aren't also required to have those translations legalized, especially if you are applying for citizenship OUTSIDE of the US. You could save yourself a lot of aggravation later on by having your translations legalized.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Very informative indeed. Thank you. Does that mean I have to ditch my short form certs (like my own birth cert, mom's birth cert & her marriage cert.) in replace of the long forms?

This is the first time I am hearing that short forms may be unacceptable.

And, with regards to legalized translations, are you referring to the stage in which the NYC Consulate authenticates the documents (post Apostille & translations)?

Lastly, are there any specific forms from the Consulate that have to be brought to the appointment? I thought I would just be taking my NYC approved documents to the Consulate in London which I luckily have an appointment with next year.

Mille grazie! :)
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

I can't answer whether or not short-form records will be accepted by the consulate in London. I do know that sometimes the long-form records issued by the state contain more information. If you're only talking about a couple of records, why not just go ahead and make sure that you have the correct ones? How old are these records, btw? If they're too old for an apostille, then you need to obtain new records anyway. Something else to consider, if you DO end up using the records that you obtained from a town clerk in NYS, be advised that you MAY need to have the records exemplified by a county clerk before an apostille can be placed on them. This is not ALWAYS the case, but it sure was for me.

As far as I know, legalizing translations and authenticating documents are two different things - or so I was told by the embassy in DC. I was informed that it is the translations that are legalized, not the actual original documents. When a consulate authenticates a document, they are merely verifying its authenticity. I think that recently, the procedures for authenticating documents have changed. When I applied in Italy, my documents were sent back to the consulate in NYC to be authenticated. Now, I think that people are responsible for this step themselves. This may be yet another thing for you to confirm with the consulate in London - do they send them back to the states, or are you required to do this.

As for additional forms required for your appointment in London - try searching on italiancitizenship.freeforums.org, or posting a question there.
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Yes, true, I will call the Consulate again with questions about the form if I can get through to the line. So far no specifications mentioned.

With regards to the records, I would say that the death records are from the early 1990's and my mom's marriage record could be early 1980's and Mom's birth record 1960's.

Yes, thanks again, I did hear about the request for exemplification.

That sounds about right, translation need to be legalized by the actual Consulate, I presume?

I'm pretty sure, I heard something about getting the Apostille in NYC as well as having the translations approved. I hope that covers everything. In this process, I always feel that I am missing something or the other...

Thanks for your help. :)
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

anima87ag wrote:With regards to the records, I would say that the death records are from the early 1990's and my mom's marriage record could be early 1980's and Mom's birth record 1960's.
If these are NYS documents, they are way beyond the age for an apostille. One or two years, maybe. Ten, twenty, or more?
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

Oh, no... So, in other words that documents can't be more than two or three years old?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

italian documents must be 6 months old
ciao Riccardo
anima87ag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by anima87ag »

I already requested the Italian birth record for my great grandfather, so it will be new. However, I am wondering about the NYS records? Still waiting for the consulate to respond about short/long form and the age of the US documents.