NYS Death Certificate corrections?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

NYS Death Certificate corrections?

Post by KarenChristino »

My dad passed away recently and of course there are errors in his death certificate! I called the town (on Long Island, NYS) and a rather unhelpful woman referred me to the funeral home. The funeral home (who made the errors) was in touch with the town and says I must go to the town registrar in person to make the corrections. I can't imagine this is the only way to go about it.

Can't we make the corrections through NYS? Who do I contact? I can't find this information online. Does the state get the records right away? (I believe in NYC it's easier to make a correction through the funeral home for 6 months or something, but this is NYS).

I'm very lucky to have already made the corrections in my parents' other documents. But it's shocking to me how easily these errors creep in and how tough it is to change them! I have my usual anger and frustration in dealing with the bureaucracy, made more upsetting because it's my father. I was ready to start screaming at the town woman with the first call, but I know that's not going to help.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NYS Death Certificate corrections?

Post by KarenChristino »

I see I am not myself as I initially posted this item to the Translations section by mistake!

I did find a NYS form online -- not on the State's website but on those of various towns. It does appear that I can make this correction through the state, as I did with my mom's B.C. At least I am at the point where I know enough to know when something doesn't sound right. Thanks if anyone has additional info.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Correcting a death record in NYS is a bit easier than a birth record. If you've already worked with the corrections unit in Albany, then maybe you know to deal only with Ms. Ortiz - she is the only one in that department with accurate information. I thought I read online somewhere that the rules for changing death records has become much easier, so hopefully you'll be able to experience little or no frustration. (You CAN make a correction to a state record through a town clerk, but I would go directly to Ms. Ortiz.)

Sorry for your loss.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Thanks Kontessa. I will send this directly to Ms. Ortiz. After reviewing the form one limitation seems to be that it says the "Informant" should make the change -- so I just have to get my mother to sign it. (In NYC, children can also alter the D.C. themselves.)

It also says, "A document which has been altered cannot be accepted as proof for a correction." Both my parents' birth records have been corrected -- is this what they mean by "altered"?

Also I seem to remember that the Consulate, too, is not as tough on Death Certificates? It would be a matter of removing my dad's middle initial, correcting spelling of my moms' first and last names and adding her middle name (to agree with their B.C.s).