Can my uncle and cousin use my documents?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Can my uncle and cousin use my documents?

Post by Squigy »

Okay, so I'm currently in the process of collecting all the documents I need for dual citizenship - I *hope* to apply by late 2012-early/mid 2013.

Now, I have an uncle and a cousin who are interested in getting it, too - they actually bring it up almost everytime I talk to them. *But*, they live in PA - I live in Texas. So we can't apply together. I was wondering if there's anyway the Consulate could keep the records I submit on file, so THEY won't have to collect them all over again.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Can my uncle and cousin use my documents?

Post by ricbru »

Squigy, once you collect all the documents, and you give it with apostille and translations to your closest italian consulate, there is not way to have it back for yourself or to give it to someone else. Your uncle and cousin need to request their certificates for themselves. I hope it helps bye Riccardo
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Ricbru is correct because your uncle and cousin would not be descended from the same set of parents. However, siblings residing in a different consular jurisdiction who do have the same set of parents would be able to apply using copies of your documents and adding originals of their own.
reboot365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reboot365 »

I could be completely wrong here, but I was under the impression that if one person in the family was approved in one consulate, other family members could use that case number, and just provide the documents specific to them. So, like if your uncle went first in his consulate, you could submit your parents and your BC and your parents MC in your consulate and use his case number. At least, that's how I interpreted it when it was explained to me before. I'm confused because it's sounding like you have to do the whole application and document retrieval again.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Thank you all for replying.

Jenna,

So, does that mean after *I* apply, I can make photocopies of my documents, and my siblings in NC and D.C. can apply using those, even though they're not legal? Why couldn't my uncle apply that way, too? I'd still have to submit all the documents for his family (since his parents are my grandparents). Wouldn't he just have to add his *own* personal records?

Reboot,

I thought there was something like that, too...
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Imho - individuals that want to piggy-back off another family member's file, should first consult the consulate where they intend to apply. I was under the impression, that if the application is in the same line (siblings, parents, children NOT cousins, uncles, etc.) that some of the consulates would accept photocopies of the common documents. I can't recall reading about anyone piggy-backing from outside the direct line. Best to ask DC first before your siblings purchase all of their documents.

A friendly reminder, when the first person submits their application, they would be wise to ask for their case file number since others in the family will need to reference this later on at another consulate. I know of several people who are attempting to obtain their case file numbers from two different consulates (long after they submitted their documents), and they have not been successful.