Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suzi_catz

Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Post by suzi_catz »

Census data records that my great grandfather Giuseppe Buccico emigrated Italy to New York 1887.

His intention of naturalization paper states he emigrated Ruoti, Basilicata, Italy arriving New York Dec 21, 1882.

I've tried to search passenger lists by name on ancestry.com but have had no luck.

What other types of records should I be looking for to confirm date of emigration/immigration?

Which documents might have ship's name?

Ellis Island spelling of Italian names is SERIOUSLY confusing - any hints for finding ancestors in these records?

Thanks
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Post by Italysearcher »

Its not the spelling, its the interpretation of the handwriting that has led to the strange indexing. If you need help try lostquays@ymail.com. She can find anything,
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
xrayrosie

Re: Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Post by xrayrosie »

suzi

Your ancestor Guiseppe Buccico is related to my Grandfather Enrico Buccico. Our family is from Ruoti, italy. Part of our family went to Mass. and the rest to New York. We do have some family information that may help. Contact me if you would like to exchange information.