question about declaration - petition - naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sanpierfedele

question about declaration - petition - naturalization

Post by sanpierfedele »

Does anyone have ay tips on how I can confirm if my grandfather's naturalization was finalized given that there wasn't the required 2-year waiting period between his declaration of intention and his petition?

So far, I've learned that he was 23 years old when he arrived in the US (1921 ship manifest). In 1925, he's listed as an alien on the county census for Hornell, NY, and on the 1930 federal census, his status is N (naturalized).

The county clerk in Steuben, NY, has an index card with the following information:

1) Declaration of Intention No. 55. Issued by Clerk of the Supreme Court of New York, Steuben County, on the 25th day of March, 1928.
2) Petition No. 12 issued by Supreme Court at Hornell, New York. Date of order of admission: May 21, 1928.
3) The number 2611469 appears on the card. However, the clerk's office isn't sure if it's the certification number, and trying to find the originals will be difficult, as the old records aren't organized.

Is there another way I can obtain a copy of the certification of naturalization? It would be nice to find out if (and when) his naturalization was finalized, so I'll know if I have any chance at citizenship jure sanguinis.

Thanks for your help.
mler
Master
Master

Re: question about declaration - petition - naturalization

Post by mler »

It seems that the "date of order of admission" is the naturalization date. I would guess that your gf naturalized on May 21, 1928. I believe the referenced number is indeed the certificate of naturalization number. My gf's naturalization certificate number was written on his petition.

Hope the dates work for you.
sanpierfedele

Post by sanpierfedele »

Thanks so much for your help!

The thing I'm wondering is how my GF was able to forgo the required two-year wait period between the declaration of intent and petition. He didn't qualify for any of the exemptions, although he had met the five-year residency requirement.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these dates might be in error, as my father was born on Sept. 6, 1929.

Another question...

Is the number I have suitable for pursuing a "record copy request" with the USCIS? Their site says I need to present a "valid" record citation (naturalization certificate number) to initiate a request. Without it, I would first have to request an index search.

Thanks again. I so appreciate the help.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Perhaps someone can give you a more definitive answer because I never obtained an actual naturalization certificate (I used the preliminary documents only--declaration, petition and oath). Based on my gf's papers, however, I believe that the number cited on the petition is the certificate number, and you should be able to use it for your request.

(BTW, it IS possible that the date cited on the petition is the petition date, but be prepared for the alternative.) Hope things work out for you. Can you use your mother's line as a backup?
sanpierfedele

Post by sanpierfedele »

Thanks for your help!

I wish I could use my mother's family, but they immigrated from Canada.

It's just disheartening to know that if the 2-year wait had occurred after my GFs declaration of intention, I would be able to apply for jure sangiunis. However, some of the genealogy sites I've visited have mentioned that there was sometimes a delay of a year or so between the petition date and the actual oath/naturalization date. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks again.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Immigration from Canada would not necessarily disqualify you. If your mother's line is also Italian and the naturalization dates in Canada and the US work out, it would still be a possibility.
sanpierfedele

Post by sanpierfedele »

I wish my mom's family line was an option. They're French Canadian and walked over the border, and I'm not sure if they were naturalized. That's the next search on my docket.

I know the odds are slim at this point, but I'm hoping maybe there was a record-keeping error on the dates for my gf, given the lack of the 2-year wait between the declaration of intention and petition. I'll be following up with the city clerk and also requesting copies from the USCIS.

Thanks so much for all of your great help. I really appreciate it!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Have you done an ancestry.com search. You may get some information there. Best of luck.
sanpierfedele

Post by sanpierfedele »

Yes, I've searched Ancestry.com, Fold3, FamilySearch.org and the Stephen Morse aggregate search. Nothing shows up, although the indexing for western New York state isn't nearly as robust as it is for the eastern and southern areas.

I'll try following up with the Hornell County Clerk and begin the USCIS search too.

As always, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!