Great Grandfather's passport?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Italian1990

Great Grandfather's passport?

Post by Italian1990 »

Hi--
My great grandfather was born in Angri, Italy in 1883. He moved back and forth from the US to Italy and back to the US several times between 1889 and 1907, before finally settling in the US in 1907. He was naturalized here in 1911. As far as my research has shown, he never went back to Italy--not even to visit. He died here in 1956. I was wondering if he would've had an Italian passport for his travels between Italy and the US between 1889 and 1907? If so, would it have a photo of him? What sort of information would it have had on it? And where would I be able to find it--Would there be any other copies other than the one he had? Does the Italian government keep such records?

I use ancestry.com, but that site only seems to have American passports....
I ask in part because we are curious about who his parents were, and perhaps his passport might have information about them or where exactly he lived in Italy, for example his address. His death certificate has his father named Carlo and his mother named Bridgit or Bridget or Bridgita--But his mother's name does not sound Italian. We know he had a brother who also immigrated here (as well as one who stayed in Italy whom we have no information about), and there are some good records of him, but of his parents we know naught except their names and we'd like to change that.
fcfraser

Re: Great Grandfather's passport?

Post by fcfraser »

You might try writing to the Town Hall (Commune) in the town your grandfather is from. I did that for one branch of my family and got some records going back to the early 1800s.

Frances Ciliberti
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Great Grandfather's passport?

Post by Tessa78 »

If you are sure that his place of birth was ANGRI, Salerno, Italy...
you can write directly to the Comune of Angri for his birth record...

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Doria, 1
84012 Angri (SA)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian :-)
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.