Still can't find birth certificate for Saverio Soriero

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Sangerine
Rookie
Rookie

Still can't find birth certificate for Saverio Soriero

Post by Sangerine »

I'm still searching for my grandfather Saverio Soriero's birth record. According to census records he was born in Ruvo del Monte (PZ). I wrote to the Civil Records there and they sent me a letter stating they searched from 1850-1870 but they don't have a birth record for Saverio Soriero born in 1860, they also said there are no Soriero's. I checked the Family Search site and also went to their Family Search Center in Clarks Summit and they had a microfilm on hand for Ruvo del Monte for 1860 which I needed. After checking through the microfilm no luck (I did this before receiving the letter). I then searched for his son Joseph Aloyonis Soriero born Aug. 27, 1890. I sent another letter and attached a copy of his World War II Draft Card showing his birth place as Ruvo del monte and birth date thinking I'd get his birth record and maybe it'll show his father's birth place, sort of work my way back. They e-mailed me and said they searched from 1885-1895 showed nothing and "the surname Soriero has no roots in this town". They suggested to try the town Ruvo di Puglia (BA). I also checked Ellis Island Passenger Manifest List but they don't show a town or village. I then called the cemetery where he is buried and I got the name of the person now holding the deed to the Soriero's family plot. I sent her (a daugher in law, not a Soriero) a letter asking if she has any information she might be willing to share. She called and told me she knows nothing of the Soriero family. My question(s), How should I proceed? Where do I start? I could write Ruvo di Puglia (BA). I have their address as: Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune Ruvo di Puglia, Piazza Matteotti, 31, 70037 Ruvo di Puglia, Italy. Could someone tell me if this is the correct address. Also, is there a web site that list all the Italian Civil Records address? Thank you for any help you might give.
Sangerine
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Still can't find birth certificate for Saverio Soriero

Post by Tessa78 »

Sangerine wrote:I'm still searching for my grandfather Saverio Soriero's birth record. According to census records he was born in Ruvo del Monte (PZ). I wrote to the Civil Records there and they sent me a letter stating they searched from 1850-1870 but they don't have a birth record for Saverio Soriero born in 1860, they also said there are no Soriero's. I checked the Family Search site and also went to their Family Search Center in Clarks Summit and they had a microfilm on hand for Ruvo del Monte for 1860 which I needed. After checking through the microfilm no luck (I did this before receiving the letter). I then searched for his son Joseph Aloyonis Soriero born Aug. 27, 1890. I sent another letter and attached a copy of his World War II Draft Card showing his birth place as Ruvo del monte and birth date thinking I'd get his birth record and maybe it'll show his father's birth place, sort of work my way back. They e-mailed me and said they searched from 1885-1895 showed nothing and "the surname Soriero has no roots in this town". They suggested to try the town Ruvo di Puglia (BA). I also checked Ellis Island Passenger Manifest List but they don't show a town or village. I then called the cemetery where he is buried and I got the name of the person now holding the deed to the Soriero's family plot. I sent her (a daugher in law, not a Soriero) a letter asking if she has any information she might be willing to share. She called and told me she knows nothing of the Soriero family. My question(s), How should I proceed? Where do I start? I could write Ruvo di Puglia (BA). I have their address as: Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune Ruvo di Puglia, Piazza Matteotti, 31, 70037 Ruvo di Puglia, Italy. Could someone tell me if this is the correct address. Also, is there a web site that list all the Italian Civil Records address? Thank you for any help you might give.
Sangerine
Yes, this is the address to which you should write.

See where SORIERO is found in Italy today...
http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

T.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

You might try emailing the comune.
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/072/038/index.html

Good information found at this site,
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

After looking at other ship manifest(On the Ellis Island Site) for the name Soriero there are other Soriero from Ruvo del Monte (PZ) and also born there. After checking your Joseph Soriero WW1 draft card I think that he was born in Ruvo del Monte (PZ).After both draft cards say the same town
Since the films only go to 1860 at FHL I would try email to the ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI POTENZA Province.
website
http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... me=POTENZA
Email letter just fill in the blanks
Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo (YOURNAME). Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho biosgno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Ruvo del Monte,Potenza. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’atto di nascita di questa persona nei vostri registri dal 1888 fino al 1893?
L’individuo seguente è il mio antenato. Quanto segue è tutto ciò che so di questa persona:
Nome e cognome: Giuesppe Aloyouis Soriero
Data di nascita:1888-1893
Luogo di nascita: Ruvo del Monte,Potenza
Nome e cognome del padre: Saverio Soriero
Nome e cognome della madre: (NAMEOFMOTHER)
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri e di farmi sapere il costo delle copie.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,
NAME ADDRESS EMAIL
I would try to get the sons birth record which will tell Saverio age and where he was born and living at the time of the birth of Giuesppe are there any other children born in Italy from Saverio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, it is very strange that the Ruvo del Monte civil records officer no found the birth act (almost) of Joseph Aloyonis Soriero born Aug. 27, 1890...
Saverio had 2 brothers that came in USA:

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Siriero (Soriero)
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Ruvo Monte
Date of Arrival: Aug 31, 1897
Age at Arrival: 33y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Massilia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011

joining at Saverio brother in Trenton, NJ

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011

and:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Michdangel Soriero
Name: Michdangel Soriero
[Michelangelo Soriero]

Arrival Date: 17 Apr 1912
Birth Year: abt 1889
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: priwd (Ruvo)
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of departure: Naples, Italy
Port of arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Luisiana

wife Rosa in Ruvo del Monte, joining at Saverio brother in Trenton, NJ.

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Michael Soriero
Name: Michael Soriero
Birth Date: 24 Dec 1888
Birth Place: Ruo Del Mondo, Italy ( Ruvo del Monte)
Residence: New York, New York
Race: White

and this is another Soriero born in Ruvo del Monte:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974
about Joseph Antonio Soriero
Name: Joseph Antonio Soriero
State: New York
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Southern District, New York
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 172671

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Joseph Anthony Soriero
Name: Joseph Anthony Soriero
Birth Date: 19 Mar 1883
Birth Place: Ruive Del Malta, Italy (Ruvo del Monte)
Residence: Maspeth, New York
Race: White

so it is very strange that the civil records officer said that nobody Soriero was born in Ruvo del Monte...
I understand that is not a surname of Ruvo del Monte, but is very possible that Francesco and Saverio moved ( and/or maybe also married) in Ruvo del Monte, and almost some Soriero births, between 1880 and 1892 must be in!

Soriero is a surname of Campania region especially, and many Sorieros coming from Calitri town, that also is in Campania region, is very close to Ruvo del Monte, better at Ruvo del Monte city limits;
Calitri: http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&q=ruvo ... a=N&tab=wl
Ruvo del Monte: http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&q=ruvo ... a=N&tab=wl

So, my opinion is that Saverio and Francesco was born in Calitri and then moved in Ruvo del Monte and married here..
it is a my experience, that sometimes the civil records officers no find the birth records ... the explanation is that some data is no right( usual problem is that the birthdate resulting by US documents is wrong; also of some year... ).
If you wish, you can search Saverio birth act in Calitri civil records:
Registri dello stato civile di Calitri (Avellino), 1809-1910 Calitri (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di+Calitri+% &columns=*,0,0
and if you find a Saverio Soriero ( born 1860 + -) you can also search abt Francesco Soriero (brother of Saverio) born abt in 1864 + - and they must have same parent's names, so you can be sure that is your Saverio...

my advice is just a hope... but I am a bit positive abt Calitri...

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH