1800-1850, Naples Italy, name changes

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

1800-1850, Naples Italy, name changes

Post by elmosgirl »

Is it possible that for business purposes, even back in the first half of the 1800s, that a family would alter its name for ease of spelling and reading or any other business purpose?

It's a question because I have every reason to believe I've 'found' family in the San Ferdinando district of Naples. The names in the records are much 'fancier' than the name the family used for their recognized printing business in Naples (and the name by which they were known across Italy).

Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: 1800-1850, Naples Italy, name changes

Post by adelfio »

What is the surname and what has it been changed to. My surname was changed 4 times it started Addelfio to Adelfio to Adelphio to present day.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

The surname in the civil records for the Naples district is Tremeterra.

Same span of years, the typography business, editing, publishing house next door to the Naples Opera House (1829-1850), was Tramater.

All the names in the Tremeterra records are too good a match to be 'by chance.'

By the 1880s, though, after a move away from Naples, due East to a town near Potenza, the civil records all record Tramater, which is what I always believed was our not-so-Italian name!

Your thoughts?

Thank you so much.
***sorry, typo, name in records, Trematerra. Sounds closer to Tramater..............
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You have records for the surnames Tramater. I would like to see a record with that surname can you post one on here.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

yes, I have an 1881 birth record, also n 1893 record, both men named Tramater, etc. from Brindisi di Montagna ....I hope I can attach or post it here, if not, I can PM you??

Just so you know, the father of both of these men is recorded as born in the Naples District, which I know is correct, with that other name. The father's birth year is also correct.

OK< let's see if I can attach a picture here
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

sorry, I cannot paste a copy here.
Next??
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Use postimage.org its free you dont have to join just upload from your computer copy the thumbnail from postimage and paste to your message on here

Marty

Marty
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Post the earlier record please

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Surname town province
Trematerra Somma Vesuviana Napoli
Trematerra Napoli Napoli
Tremiterra Afragola Napoli
website for surnames
http://www.avitrees.com/welcome.jsp

Marty

Marty
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

http://s7.postimage.org/414ry7kgr/Pietr ... Montag.jpg
http://s7.postimage.org/414ry7kgr/Pietr ... Montag.jpg

this time only the link pastes to the message.

Just so you know, I don't have images for the 1840 or earlier records, only those found on Family Search
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

I hope any or all of the readers will contribute whatever they may know about name changes to this question. I'm asking about changes in Italy, in the first half of the 19th Century, not as happened with immigrants arriving or staying in America.

Thank you for your interest.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

In my research I have found to follow in change of spellings of your surname to be acurate you have to follow the records and find marriage and death records that show a change in birth towns and follow them back. I started in Trabia Palermo films got the records followed all the domiciliato in Trabia (living in Trabia) and nato in Trabia(born in Trabia)on the records until they changed to different birth towns and residing in towns and as I went through the records I would find sometimes a change in the surname from town to town maybe a letter sometimes more than that. Just kept researching and verify my history with records not taking any ancestry tree info unless they could backup with paper.

Marty

Marty
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

Thank you so much for your input. Now I know what I have to do next..............!