LaRocca my past 5 years searching for my great grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

LaRocca my past 5 years searching for my great grandparents

Post by EliseLaRocca »

let me start by saying how excited i am to find this site and thank you to anyone that even opens my post to try to read and see if they can help me :) . for the past 5 years on and off i have been working on my family tree, every time i give it all i have got and after a few months of long hours and still no leads i give up for a few months only to find myself looking at the photo of my great grandfather on my wall and wanting to know and not wanting to give up, so here i am. i am young and i am not a expert at this so this could be a very easy find and i am just over looking it. i do use ancestry and family search, i have even sent emails to italy and have had very little luck. here is what i am looking for

Salvador "Sam" La Rocca
father
B: unknown
D: unknown

Josephine Marie Fumuso
mother
B: unknown
D: unknown

Vittorio La Rocca
child
B:4 Dec 1873 Gibellina, Trapani, Sicilia, Italy
D:27 Jul 1937 Beaumont, Jefferson, Tx, USA

Vittorio is my great grandfather and when i started my search all i had was his name. through family search i found a death record that gave me the above information as well as his parents name. i also found he was laid to rest right here in the town i live in so i went strait to bring flowers and take notes about what was on the headstone. the same dates where found on it.
i later found a letter written in italian to him from his mother in a box my grandfather had. i have a friend in the Italian Society i am in here in Beaumont who can read italian so i had her translate the letter for me. the town was the same as was the mothers name but she did seem to go by her middle name.
This is where my tree falls silent. i have called every relative that came from the branch of the LaRocca's that Vittorio was on and came to america ( well of coarse i cant call them they have past but i have called any children or grandchildren that i have found through my research) to see if they had any more information and no one seems to know. in fact most have told me that i already know more then they themselfs knew. so i am trying to break through the gap of coming to america. i think if i could find a birth record for Vittorio it would not only confirm his parents names but maybe give me more dates on them, or maybe their marriage record or death record. Vittorio did have brothers and a cousin that came to america as well and i will be happy to add that information if someone trying to help me needs it, just let me know.
also this makes me think i have a clue to be found but not sure how to find it so let me add this, Vittorio also had a Brother Nunzio LaRocca, he came to america but went back home because he missed his parents. Nunzio was a Catholic priest. In fact the story goes that he was the town priest for Gibellina (where my family is from) i am also catholic and i know here we keep records so i am thinking surly being that not only where they catholic but their son was a priest there has to be some kind of record that the local church might have that would help me. but how to get ahold of the right people is what i am not able to find out, i have sent many emails but no luck, i am not sure if it is not the right place or if my italian does not make sence or what but i never get a reply.
another good piece of information to know... there are 2 Gibellina's the old Gibellina and the new Gibellina. my family comes from the old. there was a earthquake in which the city was destroyed. this happened while my family lived there. so i am unsure is records made it through this event and if so where they are now. i also have no idea where my family went after the earthquake.
any help you might can be in any area of this no matter how big or small i am very thankful for. =) if you would rather reach me by email mine is
elisecoupon@yahoo.com
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: LaRocca my past 5 years searching for my great grandpare

Post by Tessa78 »

If you haven't already tried it...the LDS Family History Center holds microfilmed civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) for Gibellina from 1821 - 1910 :-)
http://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl ... +Gibellina++
You can rent and view these records...
To find your nearest Family History Center
http://familysearch.org/eng/

I noticed that you have EMAILED the towns and churches... have you also written letters?
You might be more successful with a written request.
Help with letters in Italian...
To civil registrations office:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
To parish priest:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Just in case you don't have this...

WWI Registration for Vittorio (1917-1918)
DOB 4 Dec 1873
Living in Beaumont, Texas
Wife - Camilla BUON TEMPO LaRocca (maybe you can search through her side?)
Vittorio's occupation - shoemaker

It states that he was naturalized (declaration is checked)

POSSIBLE 1900 Census for Vittorio, wife Carmela, son Salvatore in NEW ORLEANS
Immigration year stated as 1897 - so most likely through New Orleans :-)
ALSO - might look for a marriage record in New Orleans...

1900 United States Federal Census

Name: Vittorio Larocca
Birth Date: Dec 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 11, Orleans, Louisiana
[Orleans]
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1897

Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Carmela Larocca
Marriage Year: 1900
Years married: 0
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Vittorio Larocca 26
Carmela Larocca 22
Salvatore Larocca 8/12

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

POSSIBLE Arrival manifest for SALVATORE LaRocca (age 22) in January 1890 at New Orleans... From Palermo. A relative?

line 1

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

deleted...

T.
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EliseLaRocca »

Tessa78 wrote:If you haven't already tried it...the LDS Family History Center holds microfilmed civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) for Gibellina from 1821 - 1910 :-)
http://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl ... +Gibellina++
You can rent and view these records...
To find your nearest Family History Center
http://familysearch.org/eng/

I noticed that you have EMAILED the towns and churches... have you also written letters?
You might be more successful with a written request.
Help with letters in Italian...
To civil registrations office:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
To parish priest:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest

T.

i have emailed the towns not the churches. i was unsure of where to send a email or letter ( to which church) since the one in that town was destroyed. and in emailing the towns i got the email from a friend so i am not sure where i would send the letter to. i will get a letter mailed but any idea where to look to find where they should be mailed to that i would have the best luck with these records?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You might try this for civil records...

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza 15 Gennaio 1968, n. 1
91024 Gibellina (TP)
ITALY

The Italian Phone book lists one church in Gibellina
http://www.paginebianche.it/page?btt=1& ... llina&ind=

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You wrote:
also this makes me think i have a clue to be found but not sure how to find it so let me add this, Vittorio also had a Brother Nunzio LaRocca, he came to america but went back home because he missed his parents.
Have you seen this letter attached to the US Passport application of a Nunzio LaRocca from Beaumont, Texas?

I don't know if this is Vittorio's brother, but on the actual application for a passport he states his place of birth as SANTA FLAVIA, Italy. This is about 60 miles from Gibellina... (Nunzio lists his DOB as 1883, occupation as shoemaker, and he is single)

T.
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EliseLaRocca »

Tessa78 wrote:Just in case you don't have this...

WWI Registration for Vittorio (1917-1918)
DOB 4 Dec 1873
Living in Beaumont, Texas
Wife - Camilla BUON TEMPO LaRocca (maybe you can search through her side?)
Vittorio's occupation - shoemaker

It states that he was naturalized (declaration is checked)

POSSIBLE 1900 Census for Vittorio, wife Carmela, son Salvatore in NEW ORLEANS
Immigration year stated as 1897 - so most likely through New Orleans :-)
ALSO - might look for a marriage record in New Orleans...

1900 United States Federal Census

Name: Vittorio Larocca
Birth Date: Dec 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 11, Orleans, Louisiana
[Orleans]
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1897

Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Carmela Larocca
Marriage Year: 1900
Years married: 0
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Vittorio Larocca 26
Carmela Larocca 22
Salvatore Larocca 8/12

T.

all the above is correct and i have already found them but thank you for posting in case i hadnt.
i have also been working on her side, i do know her parents and their date of birth and death but that is only because they to came to america, with that side i have the same problem i have with this side. once i get to the set of parents that did not come or a birth record for the child that did come i can not find that information.
the naturalizeation paper i myself have the orignal paper for him, but that paper doesnt give me much information, it has his name his childrens names in english and the italian version and his most current address and that he came from italy. i need to scan it so i can add it to my charts put i do not get it out much as it is very very old.
they did indeed live in new orleans and i know they got married here in america but a marriage record can not be found for them ( or at least i cant find it) i am having a hard time with records from new orleans when i called to ask about getting one on Carmela Bontempo LaRocca's father ( a death record) since i do not have a date of death or his parents names i thought it would be on that, but was told i can not get a copy of that as i am not his parent,wife or child. even though i am a direct decendent and none of the others are alive they will not release that to me, he died sometime between 1910 and 1920 as he is found in the 1910 census in kenner,la (right out side of new orleans) but is not found in the 1920 census and his wife is listed in texas living next door to carmela and as a widow. i have called the 2 cemeteries where all the others are all laid to rest at and neither can find a record on him. i have also found that there was a storm in new orleans between those years so maybe he died as a result from that and there was no body to lay to rest but i still would think there would be record of the death but cant find it or obtain it. his name is Philip Bontempo and he was born around 1850.
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EliseLaRocca »

Tessa78 wrote:POSSIBLE Arrival manifest for SALVATORE LaRocca (age 22) in January 1890 at New Orleans... From Palermo. A relative?

line 1

T.

i have seen this before but have not attached it to anyone in my tree. the name is one that is used alot so i thought he might be and he did go to new orleans and that is where all the brothers and cousin started out but the date they have for his age does not go along with anyone on my list. their birthdates range from 1873 to 1886 names are

Vittorio La Rocca
1873 – 1937
vincent charles LaRocca
1882 – 1948
sebastiano Larocca
1886 – 1953
Andrea (henry) La Rocca
nunzio ( nick ) LaRocca------ priest who later returned to italy
Nunzio "nick" La Rocca------ cousin ( he is the only one with a town other then gibellina)
Birth 19 mar 1883 in Santa Flavia, Italy
Death 29 jun 1955 in Beaumont, Jefferson, Texas, United States

yet the record you posted above is also the only arrival record i have found that matches close enough for any of them, i have thought before maybe it was a error with age written wrong on the record and it was Sebastiano. i have been told they all came in through new orleans and that they left from Palermo- none of them lived in Palermo that i have ever heard, they just got on the ship there.
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EliseLaRocca »

Tessa78 wrote:You wrote:
also this makes me think i have a clue to be found but not sure how to find it so let me add this, Vittorio also had a Brother Nunzio LaRocca, he came to america but went back home because he missed his parents.
Have you seen this letter attached to the US Passport application of a Nunzio LaRocca from Beaumont, Texas?

I don't know if this is Vittorio's brother, but on the actual application for a passport he states his place of birth as SANTA FLAVIA, Italy. This is about 60 miles from Gibellina... (Nunzio lists his DOB as 1883, occupation as shoemaker, and he is single)

T.

this is the cousin Nunzio that came to america with the brothers, not the brother nunzio that was a priest. yes i have seen this and before i knew there was a cousin this threw me of for at least a year haha.
BCasa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BCasa »

From the 1900 census you know her year of birth you can try requesting her original social security application from them under the foia rules and they will send you a copy this will tell you her place of birth and her parents names. Not sure if you have tried this but it may help??
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EliseLaRocca »

BCasa wrote:From the 1900 census you know her year of birth you can try requesting her original social security application from them under the foia rules and they will send you a copy this will tell you her place of birth and her parents names. Not sure if you have tried this but it may help??

no i did not know i could do that so i have not tried it. but i am confused as to who you are saying i should do this with.
Vittorio-- i have 2 documents now that list the same names for his parents
--death record
--letter from his mother
both state both his parents names Sabastano Salvatore LaRocca & Guisepppa Maria Fumuso (all i have are there names though. no dates on them and trying to find records on them in italy with out any date is proving very hard.
his place of birth has been the same on every record i have found for him , Gibellina

i am trying to get his parents info, but it would be another record to make sure i do indeed have the right names, that is true so is that why you are saying i should do that? or where you speaking of doing that for Philip Bontempo who i stated above that new orleans would not give me the death record for? that might be a good way to get around there weird law about it. where would i request that from? new orleans or just the state? or would any Social Security office be able to help me do that?
BCasa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BCasa »

I thought you wanted Carmella's parents information but any one that you need parents names you can request of course they charge a fee and it says date of birth but in your written request you give an approx estimate of birth they can search it around those dates. The local office can't do it unfortunately but here is the link for it.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers ... /related/1
EliseLaRocca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EliseLaRocca »

BCasa wrote:I thought you wanted Carmella's parents information but any one that you need parents names you can request of course they charge a fee and it says date of birth but in your written request you give an approx estimate of birth they can search it around those dates. The local office can't do it unfortunately but here is the link for it.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers ... /related/1
oh ok, sorry i guess i have used to many names in my above post :) but this is a very good thing to know about and will help me with others. I am going to go check on it right now. thank you again.