Children of Rosario Caruso and ? Angela/lina in Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Children of Rosario Caruso and ? Angela/lina in Sicily

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Hi Everyone,
Really hope someone can help.

Does anyone know of any Carusos born 1890 - early 1900s in or around Canicatti Sicily? I am looking for my Great grandfather Antonio Carusos family.
Antonio is my paternal grandfather. He was one of 13 children. Antonio died in his thirties, and after his death his family (The carusos) did not keep in contact with my grandmother Maria (was Virzi) and her three children Angelina, Rosario and Crocetta/Crocifissa Caruso.

I therefore don't know any of their names, but know Antonios father was called Rosario (as is my father in keeping with tradition) and I am guessing Antonios mother was called Angela/Angelina as is my aunt.

I have a photo of Antonio, taken after his fathers death "fu Rosario" This confirms his father is definitly called Rosario.

My father says he definitly has cousins in US, but has no idea who or where? I think I could be looking for a needle in a haystack.......
If anyone can help I would be most grateful.
Grazie Patrizia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Children of Rosario Caruso and ? Angela/lina in Sicily

Post by suanj »

Hi,
in Canicattì births, from 1896-1905 nobody Antonio Caruso was born;
instead in the births from 1886 to 1895 was born 2 Antonino CARUSO, from same parents;
the first in March 1891 died infant after some day from birth;

the second:
Antonino CARUSO born on 2 Sept. 1894 ( act#638) son of Rosario CARUSO (53 old) and Angela FARRUGIO
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Grazie Suanj.

Would you be able to help with the rest of the wording,

I can make out some of it..."L'anno milleottocentonovantaquattro al ora dieci e quaranta nella casa Comunale. Avante di me Dottore.......?????????
Ufficiale dello stato civile del Comune di Canicatti e comparso Caruso Rosario di anno cinquantatre ?? domiciliato in questo ? mi ha dichiarato che alle ora venti e minute quindici? del di due del ? mese nella casa posta in ? alle numero da ? moglie Farrugio Angela, casalinga ???
e nato un bambino di sesso ? ........ il nome Antonino
A quanto sopra e a quest atto sono stati presenta qual testimoni La? Calogero di anni quarantadue?? ...??

I wonder if you can give me the Italian wording and also the translation, as the writing is a little confusing.

Many Thanks. Graze mille!
Patrizia
Grazie Patrizia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

L'anno milleottocentonovantaquattro di Settembre ora dieci e minuti quaranta nella casa Comunale. Avante di me Dottor Nicolò Stella assessore anziano funzionante da Sindaco per mancanza del titolare (e)
Ufficiale dello stato civile del Comune di Canicattì è comparso Caruso Rosario di anno cinquantatre , carrettiere domiciliato in questo ( comune)il quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ora venti e minuti quindici del dì(=giorno) due del corrente mese nella casa posta in quartiere Folche alle numero___ dalla di lui moglie Farrugio Angela, casalinga seco lui convivente
è nato un bambino di sesso maschile che egli mi presenta e a cui dà il nome di Antonino
A quanto sopra e a quest' atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni La Verna(?? unreadable) Calogero di anni quarantadue, contadino, e Guccione Diego di anni cinquantuno, contadino, ambi residenti in questo Comune.
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti per....(?? unreadable) si è da me solo firmato
N. Dr Stella

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

suanj wrote:L'anno milleottocentonovantaquattro addi quattro di Settembre ora dieci e minuti quaranta nella casa Comunale. Avante di me Dottor Nicolò Stella assessore anziano funzionante da Sindaco per mancanza del titolare (e)
Ufficiale dello stato civile del Comune di Canicattì è comparso Caruso Rosario di anno cinquantatre , carrettiere domiciliato in questo ( comune)il quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ora venti e minuti quindici del dì(=giorno) due del corrente mese nella casa posta in quartiere Folche alle numero___ dalla di lui moglie Farrugio Angela, casalinga seco lui convivente
è nato un bambino di sesso maschile che egli mi presenta e a cui dà il nome di Antonino
A quanto sopra e a quest' atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni La Verna(?? unreadable) Calogero di anni quarantadue, contadino, e Guccione Diego di anni cinquantuno, contadino, ambi residenti in questo Comune.
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti per....(?? unreadable)per essere analfabiti ? si è da me solo firmato
N. Dr Stella
Translation of suanj's transcription :-)

In the year 1894 on day 4 of September at hour 10 and 40 minutes (10:40 AM) at the town hall. Before me Dr Nicolo Stella, senior alderman representing the mayor in his absence as officer of the vital registrations, appeared Rosario Caruso, age 53, a cart driver/teamster, residing in this town, to declare that at hour 20 and 15 minutes (8:15 PM) on day 2 of the current month at the house in Folche quarter (no number given), to his wife Angela Farrugio, housewife, living with him, was born a male baby which he presented to me and to whom was given the name Antonino.
To this above act was given witness by Calogero La Verna (?), age 42, peasant farmer, and Diego Guccione, age 51, peasant farmer, both residing in this town.
I read the present act to all the participants and only I signed my name.
Dr. N. Stella

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thank you Tessa!
Hugs,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Thank you both, this is very helpful.

Grazie!
Grazie Patrizia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

suanj wrote:Thank you Tessa!
Hugs,
suanj

Hi suanj :-)

Glad to be of help!

T.
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Suanji and Tessa, just wanted to say a huge thank you for your help. The birth certificate you found, and the definitive names of my paternal Great Grandparents (especially Angela Farrugia) has led to many more discoveries.

I now have discovered from the same parents (Rosario and Angela Farrugia)the following children

1.Antonino as you said who died a few days after birth in 1891
2.Calogero born in 1885. (I think he may have married a providenza Grombaiai and went to Tunisia as he was on a shipping list for America that stated he did not embark, ....true love???)
3.Salvatore born in 1883, but who sadly died in 1884
4.Vincenzo born in 1881
5.Francesca born in 1878
6.Rita born in 1874, who also died as a child aged 10
7.Gioachino born either 1875
8.Maria born 1873

I also discovered the name of two of Rosarios brothers- Mattheo and Pietro Caruso. They were all born in Palermo, and their father was called Antonino caruso and their mother Margherita La Barbera,

I have mainly been reading the on-line records on ancestry, but the Palermo records are facts with no images.

I'll keep looking.

Grazie
Patrizia
Grazie Patrizia
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

......and more...

it seems that maybe Vincenzo may have gone to Detroit, but I am still cross checking this......
Grazie Patrizia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to have helped you a little bit along your journey! :-)

T.