Stato di Famiglia document and adoptions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gtuscany64

Stato di Famiglia document and adoptions

Post by gtuscany64 »

Does anyone know if Stati di famiglia will list adoptive children as well as biological ones? My mother in law's birth record shows she was born in a casa di maternita' and it does not list a mother or father. However, she told me that she grew up in Lapio and her mother was Carmela Limongiello. I don't know if Carmela was her biological mother or not but Carmela is the woman who raised her. I have Carmela's birth year and know she was a resident of lapio until her death in the 1970s. Thanks for any advice!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Stato di Famiglia document and adoptions

Post by adelfio »

Stato di famiglia is a hit or miss deal from most comunes. Most of the towns have to search through years of birth, marriage and death records of all the family members to make a family certificate so whats the chance of that happening.(Its hard enough getting a birth or marriage record) If you do try to get the family certificate make your request to the anagrafe office of the town they would keep that record of all the people living in a place of residence.
If they kept the state of the family and she lived there with them she would be on it.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gtuscany64

Re: Stato di Famiglia document and adoptions

Post by gtuscany64 »

Thanks Marty. I guess I'll give it a shot. It's really my only hope to tie my mother-in-law to this family. Since I'll never know if she was biologically related to Carmela and fam or not, it might seem unimportant. But she told me stories of her mother, and I'd like to identify the lady who raised her, whether she was an adoptive mother or bio.