Rosa Esposito

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Rosa Esposito

Post by chrisdamato »

My Great Great Grandma Rosa Missanelli has been a source of great confusion over the past few years. I've been trying to locate information on her birth and marriage, as well as info on her 3 known daughters. I have recently come across some conflicting evidence and need some assistance.

I have her information listed as Rosa Missanelli, born in 1846-47. She gave birth to her children in Anzi, but I don't know if that is where she was born herself. I have been unable to find birth records for her in those years. I also cannot locate any record of marriage. I found birth records for the 1st and 3rd children and the father is listed as unknown or incognito. The 2nd child, Giovannina, was born in 1877, but no record exists. The youngest child (my gr. grandma) arrived in NYC on June 25, 1892. She was only 4 years old. I couldn't find another Missanelli on the ship with her. However, two pages prior, I came across a Rosa Esposito and her daughter Giovannina. The ages match my Rosa and Giovannina exactly. Could this be a coincidence? I then checked the Anzi birth records and found a record for a Rosa Esposito that gave birth to a Giovanni in 1877. The child was a boy. So I don't know what to do at this point.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Rosa Esposito

Post by adelfio »

On the birth records who presented the baby mother or a relative or just a midwife? Is there a street name on the birth record? How about Rosa's fathers name on the birth record? Did Rosa have any brothers or sisters that you have found in the records of Anzi?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

chrisdamato wrote:My Great Great Grandma Rosa Missanelli has been a source of great confusion over the past few years. I've been trying to locate information on her birth and marriage, as well as info on her 3 known daughters. I have recently come across some conflicting evidence and need some assistance.

I have her information listed as Rosa Missanelli, born in 1846-47. She gave birth to her children in Anzi, but I don't know if that is where she was born herself. I have been unable to find birth records for her in those years. I also cannot locate any record of marriage. I found birth records for the 1st and 3rd children and the father is listed as unknown or incognito. The 2nd child, Giovannina, was born in 1877, but no record exists. The youngest child (my gr. grandma) arrived in NYC on June 25, 1892. She was only 4 years old. I couldn't find another Missanelli on the ship with her. However, two pages prior, I came across a Rosa Esposito and her daughter Giovannina. The ages match my Rosa and Giovannina exactly. Could this be a coincidence? I then checked the Anzi birth records and found a record for a Rosa Esposito that gave birth to a Giovanni in 1877. The child was a boy. So I don't know what to do at this point.
If your GM is ANTONIETTA MISSANELLI, born 1888 in Anzi...
I looked at this record and the one for Giovanni Esposito, son of Rosa Esposito...
There are similarities and differences :-(

For reference:
1888 birth - Mother is Rosa Missanelli, age 39, peasant farmer and she presented the child. Father is listed as a "single, man" - and the birth took place at #7 Via Gallappi. Child is Antonietta.

1876 birth (that is the correct year for Giovanni Donato Esposito birth) -
Mother is Rosa Esposito, age 32 (if same Rosa as above, should be closer to age 27), peasant farmer. She presented the child. Father listed as a man who is not a relative and does not need to be recognized. Birth took place at #13 Via Gallappi... Child is Giovanni Donato.

Can you post the image for the birth record of the first child?

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

First child was born in 1867 March 20 Marie Carmella Missanelli Mother is Rosa Missanelli, age 20, peasant farmer midwife Maria Ruggiori age 28 daughter of deceased Pio presented baby father choose not to be recognized
click for record click again to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Marty,

So there must be another Rosa Esposito from Anzi. I cannot find anything about her though, at least not the same person that appears on the 1892 ship manifest. The manifest lists Rosa Esposito as being 46 years old in 1892 and the daughter Giovanna as 15. That puts Rosa's birth year around 1846 and Giovanna around 1877. That is consistent with my relatives. There is no Giovanna Esposito or Missanelli born between 1875 and 1878. Could they have lived elsewhere?

When the father is listed as single, man, does that mean he was not Rosa's husband?? I'm at a loss right now. It's a dead end that I cannot seem to figure out.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Also, I have not been able to find any of Rosa's siblings or parents, since I don't know the parent's names. I don't even know if her real name is Missanelli!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

chrisdamato wrote:Marty,

So there must be another Rosa Esposito from Anzi. I cannot find anything about her though, at least not the same person that appears on the 1892 ship manifest. The manifest lists Rosa Esposito as being 46 years old in 1892 and the daughter Giovanna as 15. That puts Rosa's birth year around 1846 and Giovanna around 1877. That is consistent with my relatives. There is no Giovanna Esposito or Missanelli born between 1875 and 1878. Could they have lived elsewhere?

When the father is listed as single, man, does that mean he was not Rosa's husband??
I'm at a loss right now. It's a dead end that I cannot seem to figure out.
Yes, and not the husband of anyone else as well :-)

Also, as I mentioned above...Rosa Missanelli is 39 (of course the ages are not always accurate) in 1888. The manifest in 1892 states Rosa's age as 46. I also searched the 1877 records but found no Giovanna Missanelli. I did find the Giovanni Esposito I referred to as born in 1876, and mother, Rosa, was 32.
I'll admit...it is very confusing, but don't give up :-)

T.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I know this might provide more questions than answers....

Found a publication of marriage banns from 1868 in Anzi. Records for marriages of that year are not online, however. :-(

This is a contract for marriage between ROCCO MICHELE CUTRO, age 21, and MARIA ROSA MISSANELLI, age 22 in Anzi. I really couldn't tell you if this is your Rosa - but it provides names of parents. Might be worth searching just to rule it out!

Parents of Rocco: deceased Savino Cutro; and living Maria Triunto
Parents of Maria Rosa: Rocco Missanelli and Lucia Lavanza (sp?)

Starts to the very bottom right of this page

Top of left side on this one

Here is the death record of ROCCO MISSANELLI - the father of Maria Rosa above.
He was 80 years old the year of the above marriage banns and died in September of that
year. Husband of Lucia Lavanza, he was a peasant farmer.

TOP LEFT of image

T.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Tessa,

Thank you for that information. A few questions though. First, Rosa is listed on all of her children's birth records as Missanelli. Was that common? Wouldn't she have been listed as Rosa Cutro? Also, if it is my Rosa, why did she drop her first name of Maria?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I will go about determining whether this is my Rosa. I have no other information to go on. I don't know any of her siblings and I can't find her birth record. I wish the online records went back further than 1861. It would certainly help. What makes it even more frustrating is the films that the FHL has for Anzi. Unlike later films, the early films each contain only 2-3 years worth of records, so I have to order 5 or more films just to cover a 10-12 year period.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, what website did you find those marriage banns?
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Tessa, I found other information that may help or it might make things even more difficult. Rosa died in 1922 in NYC. I have her death certificate and it lists the mother's maiden name as Rosa La Grotta. No father's name is listed. I am aware that many times, the info on death certificates is based upon what her family provided to the authorities. However, that doesn't mean it's accurate. Perhaps LaGrotta and Lavanza are the same? I don't think I'll ever know unless I can find a Rosa LaGrotta in Anzi.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

chrisdamato wrote:Tessa,

Thank you for that information. A few questions though. First, Rosa is listed on all of her children's birth records as Missanelli. Was that common? Yes Wouldn't she have been listed as Rosa Cutro? No, she would always have been listed with her maiden name, even if she were married. - we also don't know if the marriage took place :? There are no records online of the 1868 marriages that I can find... Also, if it is my Rosa, why did she drop her first name of Maria? Many girls were given the first name Maria as an honor to the mother of God. Many used their second names to identify themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I will go about determining whether this is my Rosa. I have no other information to go on. I don't know any of her siblings and I can't find her birth record. see below I wish the online records went back further than 1861. It would certainly help. What makes it even more frustrating is the films that the FHL has for Anzi. Unlike later films, the early films each contain only 2-3 years worth of records, so I have to order 5 or more films just to cover a 10-12 year period.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, what website did you find those marriage banns? On Ancestry.com (world subscription)
You might try writing directly to the comune of Anzi to request her birth record.
Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Garibaldi
85010 Anzi (PZ)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italain
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Not sure if you have this 1905 New York Census for Rose and daughter Antonietta???
Looks like they are living with her daughter, Joanna (Giovanna?), and her family.
Joanna is married to Vincenzo Mento (a foreman on the RR), and has 3 children.
They are living at 97 Sullivan St. in NYC

Name: Rosa Massaniello
Residence: Manhattan, New York, New York
Estimated Birth Year: 1845
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Mother-In-Law
Race: W
Page Number: 1
Line Number: 9
Film Number: 1428424
Digital Folder Number: 4518299
Image Number: 00672
Household Gender Age
Vincenzo Mento M 35y
Johanna Mento F 28y
Frank Mento M 9y
Saddie Mento F 7y
Rosina Mento F 5y
Rosa Massaniello F 60y
Antonietta Massaniello F 16y

Right side toward the top...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

According to the dates of immigration listed on this 1900 US Census,
it appears that Joanna (Giovanna), Rose and Antonietta all arrived in the same year, 1892 :?
May have to look at the ENTIRE manifest line by line to see if you can put them all together on the journey...
Rose is listed as a widow...

T.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Yes, I do have that census record. Interestingly, if you see just above the Mento family, there is an Esposito family. May just be a weird coincidence. I believe the manifest contains only one Rose and one Giovanna in the proper age range and they are listed with the Esposito surname.