searching for surnames- Moroni, Leoni, and Serve or Servi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lalexander98

searching for surnames- Moroni, Leoni, and Serve or Servi

Post by lalexander98 »

I am searching for three of my family's surnames. Moroni and Leoni are from the Milan area. I am not sure about Serve. If anyone out there can help me I would greatly apreciate it. I am looking for ANY and ALL information. There is nothing too small.

Thank you,

Lynn
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: searching for surnames- Maroni, Leoni, and Serve

Post by mfjp »

Many Servedio from Grumo Appula, Italy..

The exact surname is "Serve" ???
lalexander98

Re: searching for surnames- Moroni, Leoni, and Serve

Post by lalexander98 »

As far as I know is Serve, pronounced servie. It may ahve been changed when they came to America? This is my grandmother's maiden name, first name Pauline.

Moroni and Leoni are the other side of my family. Vincent Moroni and Carolina Leoni were married. Angelo Leoni (Carolina's brother) came to America shortly after. I believe they came into Ellis Island and made their way to northern Illinois. Carolina and Vincent had 3 daughter's here. Jacqueline, Mary, and Yolanda. I did find alot of original military papers and naturilization papers. If dates would help to get more info, please let me know what you need.

Thanks again,

Lynn
Always searching for more information on the surnames - Moroni, Leoni, and Serve.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

great info... but we need some birth years...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Don't know if there's a connection.....but there was a Maroni family in the Peoria area.......he and my Uncle were friends.....his nickname was
"Maroni Joe"......I can call my Uncle for further details.........
wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Most probable the surname is SERVI, diffused especially in Milano area... Maroni also... Leoni most diffused in all Italy .. so if you can say us some detail about this person: Serve/Servie(Servi), if male or female, birthyear, single or married, is better for the search....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi This is ship's manifest of Carolina Leoni age 20 in 1920; married to Vincenzo Moroni http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 3285020053
the birthplace are listed as Bariano(Bergamo province), last residence Cuggiono(Milano province); father: Angelo Leoni in Cuggiono; joining Vincenzo Moroni (no Maroni) husband: in 218 Sant Raver st , Jolliett ILL;
best regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lalexander98

Post by lalexander98 »

Thank you all so much for your help.

Carolina Leoni's passports show she was born Jnauary 10, 1900 in Bariano, Italy. Her Baptism papers, as far as I can tell say January 8, 1900.

Vincenzo Moroni was born in 1890 in Malvaglio, Italy. He was also in the US Army until May 24, 1919. He was naturalized Dec. 8, 1919

They were married Feb 24, 1920. Shortly after they were married, Carolina went back to Italy to try to bring her nephew, Angelo Leoni, back to America with her. He was not allowed to come until she came back alone and wrote a letter directly to the president explaining her desire. They helped Angelo attain a Visa and come to the US ( and also joined the Army)

If this Angelo Leoni is her nephew, could her father have been Angelo Leoni? It is my understanding that is the way children were named.

Now for the Serve, My grandmother's maiden name was Pauline Rita Serve (again I have been told Serve, but would not surprise me if it was Servi). I am not sure if she was born in the US or Italy. I don't know her parents names yet. I am still searching for family members with any info. I will have to get back to you on the rest of her dates and names.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lynn
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

lalexander98 wrote:Thank you all so much for your help. I have come across alot of papers and found that Maroni is really Moroni. A family member had told me it was really Maroni. All the original papers show Moroni.

Carolina Leoni's passports show she was born Jnauary 10, 1900 in Bariano, Italy. Her Baptism papers, as far as I can tell say January 8, 1900.

Vincenzo Moroni was born in 1890 in Malvaglio, Italy. He was also in the US Army until May 24, 1919. He was naturalized Dec. 8, 1919

They were married Feb 24, 1920. Shortly after they were married, Carolina went back to Italy to try to bring her nephew, Angelo Leoni, back to America with her. He was not allowed to come until she came back alone and wrote a letter directly to the president explaining her desire. They helped Angelo attain a Visa and come to the US ( and also joined the Army)

If this Angelo Leoni is her nephew, could her father have been Angelo Leoni? It is my understanding that is the way children were named.

Now for the Serve, My grandmother's maiden name was Pauline Rita Serve (again I have been told Serve, but would not surprise me if it was Servi). I am not sure if she was born in the US or Italy. I don't know her parents names yet. I am still searching for family members with any info. I will have to get back to you on the rest of her dates and names.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lynn
Well Lynn, the Carolina ship's manifest is just and is only this about Paulina( Paolina) SERVO from Chiavazza(Novara province):

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 0993020078
your suggestions?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lalexander98

Re: searching for surnames- Moroni, Leoni, and Serve or Serv

Post by lalexander98 »

Can anyone help me find out if my Moroni relatives that lived in Cuggiono, Born in either Bariano or Malvaglio are related to the Moroni family from Vergiate. I recently met some Moroni's and it's quite a coincidence the Cuggiono and Malvaglio are only 18 miles from Vergiate.

My great grand father's name was Vincenzo (Vincent) Moroni. He was born in 1890. immigrated to US.

The other family from Vergiate was Carlo Moroni, sorry no other info on him yet.

Very curious, Thank you.

Lynn
Always searching for more information on the surnames - Moroni, Leoni, and Serve.
greenba1

Re: searching for surnames- Moroni, Leoni, and Serve or Serv

Post by greenba1 »

Hi, I realize these posts were mostly from 5 years ago, but I googled my grandfather's name and this link popped up. My grandfather is named Angelo Leoni, and he went through Ellis Island and lives in Joliet, Illinois, which is northern Illinois. I know he has cousins named Yolanda, Jacqueline, and Mary because my mother (his daughter) is named after them. This might be totally unrelated to your search, but I thought there were a lot of connections. :)