Surname of Spedicci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ZacsDad2016

Surname of Spedicci

Post by ZacsDad2016 »

In researching a great uncle by the name of Dominick Castiglioni, I came across his obituary that listed he had a sister, and her married name was Mrs. Amelia Spedicci.

We never knew there was a possible sister, and this was the first bit of information I came across that even suggested it.

I am wondering if anyone knows if this is an Italian surname by chance, or if it could be misspelled in anyway. I have found several misspellings of names in my ancestry search.

I am not getting a hit of any kind that suggests this person existed, and the only other thing the obit mentioned was that she lived in San Francisco, CA.

Thanks for any help

Jerry

P.S. The known brothers of this family all originated from LUCCA Italy.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Surname of Spedicci

Post by Tessa78 »

ZacsDad2016 wrote:In researching a great uncle by the name of Dominick Castiglioni, I came across his obituary that listed he had a sister, and her married name was Mrs. Amelia Spedicci.

We never knew there was a possible sister, and this was the first bit of information I came across that even suggested it.

I am wondering if anyone knows if this is an Italian surname by chance, or if it could be misspelled in anyway.
I have found several misspellings of names in my ancestry search.

I am not getting a hit of any kind that suggests this person existed, and the only other thing the obit mentioned was that she lived in San Francisco, CA.

Thanks for any help

Jerry

P.S. The known brothers of this family all originated from LUCCA Italy.

The surname SPEDIACCI exists in the Province of Lucca today...

T.
ZacsDad2016

Post by ZacsDad2016 »

Thanks again, Tessa. Perhaps I might get lucky trying that spelling :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you give me any information about the Castiglioni family that might help to link to her...?

I have found about 27 SPEDIACCI who arrived in NY from the Tuscany Region...

SEVERAL show up in census records in California...

If I can be of help...let me know.

EDIT - Never mind... found the old posts about the Castiglioni brothers :D :D

T.
ZacsDad2016

Post by ZacsDad2016 »

:) I was just coming here to tell you about the old post and do a recap...

Three known brothers: (all 3 died in Butte, MT)
Michael A Castiglioni, b 1890-d 1987, arrived Apr 3, 1907.
Domenick Castiglioni, b 1886 - d 1963, arrived Apr 3 1903.
Silvio Castiglioni, b 1901 - d 1945, arrived Jul 8, 1923.

Possible sister to the above three would be the Amelia in question to this thread. I have no idea if she was married in Italy or married in the states.

Each of these brothers list Lorenzo as their Father, and Amelia Quilice as their mother.

The three brothers had two uncles who also lived and died in Butte, MT, and an Aunt (newly discovered) who lived and died in Chicago, IL

Angelo Castiglioni, b 1874 - d 1951, arrived Apr 4, 1893
Louis Castiglioni, b 1885 - d 1970, arrived 1906
Theresa Castiglioni, b 1867 - d 1957, arrived 1910

Documentation for Angelo and Louis indicate a father of Domenick, and a mother of Christina(e) Derico.

Hope this bit of info helps, and I do appreciate your assistance and anything you may stumble upon
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this Border Crossing reference (no image :-( )
Don't know if it is your "Amelia Castiglioni", but thought you might want to file it away for the future :-)
This is the same border location that Angelo used...

Name: Emilia Castiglioni
Arrival Date: 31 Dec 1920
Arrival Port: St John, New Brunswick, France
Estimated Birth Year: 1882
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Birth Country:
Race:
Last Residence:
Accompanied by:
Departure Date:
Departure Port: Le Havre, France
Departure Contact:
Arrival Contact:
Ship Name: Metagama
Airline:
Record has photo?:
NARA Publication Title: Manifests of Passengers Arriving in the St. Albans, VT, District through Canadian Pacific and Atlantic Ports, 1895-1954
NARA Publication Number: M1464
NARA Roll Number: 413

EDIT - Found the image

It appears that this Emilia is the wife of Angelo. They are traveling to Silver Bow, Montana, and the children are also listed on the ship manifest, arriving 1920 Dec 31 at St. John, New Brunswick.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the Passport Application by Emily Castiglioni for the above trip...

She is requesting the passport to travel to Italy with her children (and probably her husband, Angelo) because her "husband wants to look after the property of his deceased brother"
Emily Castiglioni lists her place of birth as Calumet. Michigan.
She indicates that her husband, Angelo, who is naturalized, was born in LAMMARI, Italy...

There is a picture on page 2 of the passport :-D

Page one - RIGHT side

Page two - LEFT SIDE

T.
ZacsDad2016

Post by ZacsDad2016 »

Hi Tessa,

The Emilia you found had a maiden name of Butori, and oddly enough, Domenick, the nephew of Angelo, also married a Butori.

I talked with a cousin last night whose father was a son to Michael Castiglioni, and she said that even her dad never mentioned anything about Michael having a sister, and only knew of the brothers.

It's odd that it would be mentioned in an obit if it was not in fact true. The problem is that no one is alive that would even know! :-)

EDIT TO ADD:

I also believe, in that passport application you listed, that the 'brother' that Angelo is going back to take care of his affairs, would be Lorenzo, the father of Michael, Domenick and Silvio. Unless there is someone else I have yet to discover. I haven't found anything overseas yet.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ZacsDad2016 wrote:Hi Tessa,

The Emilia you found had a maiden name of Butori, and oddly enough, Domenick, the nephew of Angelo, also married a Butori.

I talked with a cousin last night whose father was a son to Michael Castiglioni, and she said that even her dad never mentioned anything about Michael having a sister, and only knew of the brothers.

It's odd that it would be mentioned in an obit if it was not in fact true. The problem is that no one is alive that would even know! :-)

EDIT TO ADD:

I also believe, in that passport application you listed, that the 'brother' that Angelo is going back to take care of his affairs, would be Lorenzo, the father of Michael, Domenick and Silvio. Unless there is someone else I have yet to discover. I haven't found anything overseas yet.
Information for obits, and death certificates, are notoriously inaccurate! :-)
The informants usually have "family stories" and inaccurate information that they believe is true. The "sister" may be just one of those "stories"... then again :-) you don't want to let any stone go unturned...

As for the Italian records... those from Lucca Province are not yet available online.
You will need to write to the comune (Lammari?) to request records. Lammari is a small hamlet/village and is part of the Comune of Capannori. If you write... be sure to state name of the village, Lammari :-)
Do you have the address?

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Aldo Moro, 1
55012 Capannori (LU)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.
ZacsDad2016

Post by ZacsDad2016 »

Yes, I believe you or someone posted it on my original posting on this family earlier this year. Just haven't gotten to that part yet :-D

Gonna have to tell them Italians over there to step it up on the online thing ;)