Determining relationship from ship manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
baltojoe75@yahoo.com

Determining relationship from ship manifest

Post by baltojoe75@yahoo.com »

I'm looking at the manifest from 1904 for the Princess Irene sailing from Naples. The manifest is from the Ellis Island site. My Gr. Grandfather Giacomino Trotta was traveling to the US to Antonio Forlenza. The manifest shows that Antonio was Giacomino's Brother in law. This is correct because Giacomino's wife Carmella Forlenza had a brother Antonio. There are two other passengers listed just below Giacomino's name. Gelsomino Caloia and his wife Annina. Both entries show they are going to visit their brother in law Antonio Forlenza. My confusion is how are Gelsomino and Annina related to Giacomino? Thanks in advance for your help.
Joe
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Determining relationship from ship manifest

Post by Italysearcher »

Imagine the scene, you got on a ship with your wife, BUT you don't know anybody in America and you are told this might be a problem. Someone you know from the same town is going to his brother in law. As a favor (or maybe even money changed hands) he agrees to say you are all going to the same place/person. Since no one speaks English, the clerk just makes ditto marks on the manifest.
Possible??
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
baltojoe75@yahoo.com

Post by baltojoe75@yahoo.com »

Definitely a possibility...but I hope not the case as I have been having a difficult time tracing this branch of my family
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Those people are not relevant to YOUR family tree (yet), stay focused. If you have Giacomino's place of birth you are on a roll.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

We might also suppose Antonio had a wife, and one of the Gelsomino and Annina was her sibling...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.