GUIDA, CAPORALE, REPUCCI, REPUPUCCI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rivrratjim171

GUIDA, CAPORALE, REPUCCI, REPUPUCCI

Post by rivrratjim171 »

GUIDA, CAPORALE, REPUCCI, Friscuolo, Montano, Raffaella, and Sabbatina

Ciao, :)
Looking for ancestors on my Mother’s Italian side. Michael, or Michele Guida (or Genida, or Vida,) came over on a passenger ship, maybe the ALESISA, or ALSATIA, to New York Harbor, about 1891.
Port of Departure – was thought to be VARREILES AND NAPLES.
He came alone and his wife came by passenger ship a year or two later with their son Giuseppe, or Joseph. Joseph had changed the GUIDA name to the Americanized ‘WEEDER’ name.

My parents were Vincent John and Victoria Rose Weeder

My Grandparents on my Mother’s side, were Victoria Margaret Weeder, and married to Perley Ansell Dewey.

*My Great-Grandparents were Michael Guida and Antoinette, or Caporale.

*My Great-Great-Grandparents were Antonio Guida and Maria.
Antionette’s parents were Giuseppe Caporale and Victoria (or Vittoria) Repucci (or Reppucci) (1829-1921)

That's all I have. I do have some names that may, or may not correspond to this Guida Family, which I found on ancestry.com and family search, and they are: Maria Giovani Caporale, parents - Raffaella, Angela, and Mattilliello. Angela Friscuolo, Sabbatina Montano, Domencia Saliia. Anna Caporale, Rose Caporale, and Angelamaria Caporale.

Caporale's –
Raphael,42
Mary,38,
Emilia,11,
Jenny,6,
Tony, 3,
John,8.
Head of Household was Victoria at 67 yrs.

So the three names I have to work with from Italy, are *Guida, *Caporale, and *Repucci. (Victoria or Vittoria Repucci (1829-1921)
Michael or Michele Guida (1848-? And married in 1886) he had a restaurant in Boston.
Other name I see….Maria Giovanna Caporale – Father - Raffaele, Mother-Angela M. I see Angela Friscuolo, Benido, Benny, and Albert Guida/Weeder.

Once in America, I have some of the Weeder names, and they are Anna, Joseph, Victoria, Annie, James, Helen, and Margaret, in case someone in the USA is also in this site researching.

There have been so many different spellings of these names, it’s very confusing. I would LOVE to assemble my tree with as much information as I can. Thank you for any help, or suggestions on my journey!
vj
Master
Master

Re: GUIDA, CAPORALE, REPUCCI, REPUPUCCI

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
We would be happy to help you look for information.
So we don't duplicate your research, what records have you already found?
Thank you, vj

added:
For everyone's reference, the 1891 manifest you mentioned
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/8980/newy ... ists18.jpg
3 Jun 1891, ship Alsatia, to NY
lines 939-941
Maria Caporale 26 (abt 1865), single
Antonia Caporale 28 (abt 1863), married
Giuseppe Guida 3 (abt 1888)
they appear to be "natives of": Chiuzano S Dco,
probably Chiusano di San Domenico, Avellino, Campania
rivrratjim171

Post by rivrratjim171 »

Thank you vj,
That is alot of help. What I posted is all I have to date, I first want to get all the surnames from these families on my mother's side (Guida,my Great grandfather) and (Caporale,my great grandmother)
(Caporale,my Great-great grandfather, ) and Repucci, my great-great grandmother)
Thanks for adding the link to my other post,, I did not mean to double post, but after two years of researching on and off, I am very frustrated indeed. So it does appear, thanks to your information, that these named Caporales, did leave Naples as the departing port and was from Chiusano Di San Domenico, Avellino, Campania region.

What's also interesting as I mentioned in my above post,is that I have some info that Michele Guida,(My great-grandfather) left Naples or Varreiles on June 3, 1891, Port of New York, on the passenger ship, The Alesia, also traveled to New york Port.

How do I get to the passenger ship info page to look up the names of the many passenger ships? I think I looked up this ALESIA before, but never had any hits on Michele Guida, somewhere it showed he came over earlier before his son Giuseppe, in the same year as you found, but think this was collected as a memory from one of my Mom's great aunts,and she put her memory onto paper, but it doesn't make it true. Thank you again!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'm glad we could help.
To search by ship name (and with other information) for Ellis Island you can use the Steve Morse site:
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
(You'll need to do a one time free registration at Ellis Island when it asks for it)
Valarie
rivrratjim171

Post by rivrratjim171 »

Thank you Valerie,
In looking at the manifest info you sent me, I had not noticed this before,because this name was outside the colored lines,but above line #939, I also noticed another name on my search list, which was, LINE #938 Vittoria Reppucci, 60 married (b.abt. 1831) This would be my Great-Great grandmother. (I have her 1829-1921) Believed to be married to another Giuseppe (Joseph)but a Caporale, My Great-Great Grandfather.

The correct spellings I am looking for with my most recent family research would be
GUIDA (not GIUDA) though I've seen VIDA,and GENIDA
REPPUCCI (not REPUCCI)and
CAPORALE BUT..no telling what these names were, when going further back in time.

{REVISED}
#938 Vittoria Reppucci 60 married (b.abt. 1831)
#939 Maria Caporale 26 (b.abt 1865), single
#940 Antonia Caporale 28 (b.abt 1863), married
#941 Giuseppe Guida 3 (b.abt 1888)
they appear to be "natives of": Chiuzano S Dco,
probably Chiusano di San Domenico, Avellino, Campania

Another rebuttal would be that I have Michele Guida coming over in 1891, June 22, on the passenger Hamburg American line ship, " The ALESIA", but that's impossible, since this ship was built in 1896. So the ship name is totally wrong.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

My apologies for cutting off your GG Grandmother
Here's a corrected manifest for 1891
It may be possible that the illegible line above Vittoria Reppucci may have been traveling with your family.

1891 manifest
http://imageshack.us/a/img827/5167/1891x.jpg
rivrratjim171

Re: GUIDA, CAPORALE, REPPUCCI

Post by rivrratjim171 »

vj,
Given that the year I thought Michele Guida came over was wrong acording to the year the Alesia ship was built, I went back to the manifest image below, and saw that the paper was torn, or destroyed, wouldn't be something to find out that Michele was also included on either LINE #936, or #937, above VITTORIA? Could there be another copy of this manifest? I tried the stevemorse link to look for GUIDA, but took over an hour just to get to Passenger records 4751 to 4800 out of 64922. This will take forever.

http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
It is possible that Michele Guida is listed above his mother-in-law on the 1891 manifest
It's a shame, but the manifests at the Steve Morse site start at 1892 - I'm so sorry that I neglected to mention this in my earlier post
I'm not sure if you could find another copy anywhere
It's really unusual for a manifest from 1891 to list a town - almost all of them before 1896 would state 'Italy'
I couldn't find Michele Guida's naturalization in MA (his son was naturalized under the name Jos Weeder)
Michele's naturalization papers could list his immigration information if he naturalized after abt 1906...

Another search site for NY manifests is Castle Garden
http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html
These start in 1830, text only
Anything you find at this site can be checked on ancestry (with a membership)

Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

If you've found all of your US records and want to try Italian records this may help.
Valarie

If you think your family may be from Chiusano di San Domenico:

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Chiusano di San Domenico on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
Family History Library Catalog:
https://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/

Film notes for Chiusano di San Domenico:
https://www.familysearch.org/eng/librar ... umns=*,0,0

Title: Registri dello stato civile di Chiusano di San Domenico (Avellino), 1809-1899
Authors: Chiusano di San Domenico (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)
Notes: Births, marriages, banns, deaths, miscellaneous documents, 10-year indexes
---

And, just in case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records
FamilySearch Centers Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
https://www.familysearch.org/locations
---

from this Forum
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/italian ... extraction
---

And if you're interested, here are three terrific books:

Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research
By Tafford R Cole
google book link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=i_qgMM ... le&f=false

A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link (information only):
http://books.google.com/books?id=KMELAA ... CE8Q6AEwAQ

Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=HAuKMV ... ts&f=false
rivrratjim171

Post by rivrratjim171 »

Thank you Valerie for all the links and stuff. I went to the second Steve Morses' site 'Castle Garde', and put Michele's name in there and I did get a hit for the following:
GUIDA MICHELE 43 M 22 Jun 1891 U / SHIP > ALESIA

One question remains, I thought I already found out that the Alesia was not built until 5 years later in 1896....have you heard of more than one named passenger ship being the same?

Giuseppe was Joeseph Guida, who later changed the name to 'Weeder'. I had mentioned above that my mother was a Victoria R. Weeder, which I meant to say DEWEY, but I could not go back to EDIT my post. Jim
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Jim,
This is the manifest you mentioned from ancestry
Not much information except that this Michele Guida was born abt 1848...
Valarie

http://imageshack.us/a/img85/3788/1891t.jpg
Ship Name: Alesia
Arrival Date: 22 Jun 1891
Port of Departure: Varreiles (probably Versailles) and Naples
Destination: New York Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port
Line 24
Name: Michele Guida
Birth Year: abt 1848 Age: 43
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
---

added:
neat link to the Ships List site
ship descriptions:
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descr ... /index.htm
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found in Avellino archive, a military record( really he no made the military service, because in 1892 he fails to report for military service)

Codice SIAS IT-ASAV-F4600703
Ufficio Leva, Liste di Leva della classe 1872.Registro numero 1,
atto numero 27 di pagina 371 sezione c
Salvatore Caporale, iscritto il 05/05/1892
nato il 05/01/1872 a CHIUSANO DI SAN DOMENICO
da Michele Caporale e da Vittoria Reppucci

Salvatore Caporale born in Chiusano San Domenico on 5 Jan 1872 ( son of Michele Caporale and Vittoria Reppucci) enrolled( but it fails the military service maybe he was in foreign coutry) on 5 May 1892..

this is the only Vittoria Reppucci that I found in Avellino archive, but the database is no complete to 100%... your sure that your Vittoria 's husband was Giuseppe Caporale and not Michele Caporale?
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rivrratjim171

Post by rivrratjim171 »

Ciao bella VJ and SuanJ,

I can not thank you enough for all your generous time spent with helping me..i appreciate it like you'll never know! I have attached a image from my Ancestry tree pertaining to Weeder,Caporale, and Reppucci.

This is all I have thus far. Not much, I know. I started this journey about two years ago, then got so frustrated with the process, I had to hang it up. Too much misinformation and duplicated first and last names with generations of surnames and same named kids, down the lines and wrong dates, my head just exploded. Now, I have extra strength aspirin, and I'm back to this and on a mission to (hopefully) uncover more info on my tree.

What I have listed I hope to be true, and knowing that the correct info starts with My Mother's parents,
(MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS) Michael (Michele) Guida (Genida,Ginida,etc) and Antoinette or Antonia CAPORALE.

(My GREAT-GREAT GRANDPARENTS)
Father's side- were ANTONIO GUIDA and MARIA ?.
Mother's side were- GUISEPPE CAPORALE,and VICTORIA (or Vittoria) REPPUCCI.

My Mom informed me she thinks that Antoinette had a sister named Maria, but was not absolutely sure.
A 1910 US Census shows Michel Genida married to Annie Genida, home in Revere, Massachusetts. Michele was a listed as a 'peasant' on the manifest, but once in the USA, he became a cook and restaurant owner, believed to be in Revere, Ma.
These are their children listed: (ages may not be so true, because my grandmother was born in 1898, which would have her at age 12, in 1910)
Victoria 11 (My grandmother)
Joseph 21
Lee 17 (also called Leo)
Albert 14 (also called Benny,my mom thinks)
Annie 12
James 6
Helen 4
Margaret 2

That's pretty much all I have at this point. Thanks you for all the valuable information! Ciao :)
Guida,Reppuci,Weeder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.