Certifications of translations

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Certifications of translations

Post by garypeg »

I am applying for Italian citizenship through the Philadelphia office. They state that "Documents from States that are not part of the Philadelphia jurisdiction must have the translation notarized by the Consulate that has jurisdiction over that State." I have had my appointment and have the all important 'file number.' So now I am trying to get all these translations certified.

Los Angeles says "You may the document (marriage certificate, apostille and translation) to this office with a money order of $ 17.25 per translated page issued to THE ITALIAN CONSULATE of $ 17.25 per translated page.
Please include a pre addressed and pre stamped envelope for the return. Sincierely Ufficio Stato Civile Elena Ghide"

Does anyone have the instructions from Chicago, LA, NY and Miami? They are slow replying.

Thanks

Gary
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Certifications of translations

Post by JJ313 »

I am not sure what LA is quoting you as the fee of $17.25 per page does not correspond to anything on their tariff schedule. The fee to authenticate a document is 6.2 euro per translated page. The exchange rate changes quarterly and is currently $7.90 per page. Some of the consulates round the exchange rates to the nearest $.05 and some to nearest $.10.

Go to http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... t2761.html for instructions on authenticating documents. The procedure can be used for all consulates.

What documents does Philly want you to have authenticated?
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

They want everything not coming from Italy! Per the translator I used in Philly they want $10.50 per page (translated page or original page I do not know). So my marriage cert, birth cert, my mother's birth and death and marriage, my grand father's death, my wife's birth cert. They even want my first marriage and divorce certs and some of the documents I used to deal with a first name issue! Hundreds of dollars and a major pain in the ass.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Detroit had me authenticate only the documents that were being sent to the comune. I did not have to do my parent's, GP or GGP documents. In your case almost all of your documents are going to your comune, so they may have just handed back everything and said authenticate these. The cost is $7.90 ($7.85 in Philly) per translated page, so divorce documents can get expensive. The consulates have incorrectly quoted the cost to many and so is your translator. The amount of $17.25 does not even appear on LA's tariff schedule. Like everything else in this process the consulates seem to make up the rules as they go along, the authentication process definitely adds insult to injury.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

The divorce decree itself is 1 page. Add one page for the apostille (for a 40 yr old divorce they want an apostille!). Another page for the affidavit which says that Colorado does not issue a two step divorce (eg it is not stamped final until 6 months have passed). $80 dollars for the State of Colorado. Where is the tariff schedule for LA? I emailed them last fall and that's when they quoted $17.25. I need to send my parents' marriage cert there.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

I think I found it. They have a spread sheet on the citizenship page. Under TRADUZIONE ATTI STATO CIVILE it state $7.85 per folglio in italiano. In inglese it's $15.70. Along with most everything else having to do with this process, sorting out the most basic things is a hassle.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

I have read all the posts about certifications of translations and am thoroughly confused.

Does each document translated from English into Italian have to be certified? By whom? We are in Connecticut and I have no idea who or what institution would be acceptable as a certifier of a translation from English into Italian.

We are near Yale University. Would a member of their Italian Department be acceptable to the Italian Consulate? The nearest Consulates wold be in either New York City or Boston.

HELP. THANKS TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT KNOW THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

All documents (with the exception of naturalization documents) in your direct line have to be translated into Italian. The translations can be performed by any competent translator (you can self translate as well). All documents originating in a jurisdiction outside of your consulate has to authenticate the document and translation. If you are applying at NY (CT is within NY jurisdiction) and your BC is from LA then you would have to have it authenticated by LA. If you were born in NY then authentication is not required for that document.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

J313

Thanks so much for your reply. All of our documents which are written in English were issued by the State of Connecticut. If I understnad you correctly I can translate them and this will be acceptable to the Italian Consulate in New York. Would they be acceptable to the Boston Consulate?

Must I sign them as translator? Do they have to be notarized? I'm sorry to be imposing on you with all these questions but my son (who lives in Boston)has asked me to accumulate the documents for him. My other children will apply in New York, unless they can apply in Boston also.

I am an 80 year old senior citizen and my children think as a retired person I have nothing to do. It is rather interesting,though frustrating at times.

Thanks again for your response
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

You can translate the documents for the Boston consulate as well. For the Boston consulate you would have to have them authenticated by the NY consulate. You do not have to sign or notarized the translations. All of the documents must be long form and they must be apostilled. Acquiring documents is very expensive in CT relative to other states.

The consulate's require that you prove residency with a drivers license and in some cases a utility bill. You are obligated to use the consulate where you reside.

Ask as many questions as you need to it is not an imposition. I would not have been recognized without the help of others on this board. The process can be difficult and frustrating at times it takes detrmination and lots of patience.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 846newyorker »

I've just posted a separate thread about "validation of documents" which seems to be, possibly, the same thing.

Do only the translations have to be certified? What about the documents themselves? (It's confusing since the documents themselves would have the authentication from state authorities via the apostille.)
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

The two things are actually different. A certified translation refers to when a translator signs a statement certifying to the accuracy of the translation. Authentication of a document (sometimes referred to as legalizing) refers to the process where a consulate reviews the document, Apostille and translation and issues a statement authenticating the document.

Generally translations do not have to be certified, however each consulate has different requirements and these do change from time to time.

Documents have to be authenticated when the document originates outside the jurisdiction of the consulate to which you are applying. Not all consulates require the applicant to get their documents authenticated, Boston and SF apparently send the documents to the other consulates on your behalf.