Francesco(Frank) Ninivaggi Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Francesco(Frank) Ninivaggi Family

Post by rp76226 »

Francesco (Frank) Ninivaggi, born about 1898 in Italy and emigrated to America around 1920. He was a barber and owned his own barbership in the Bronx on Huges Avenue, near the corner of Tremont Avenue. He married Rafaella Nuzzo on Fevruary 24, 1924. They had five sons - Angelo, Vito, Nicolas, Dominic, and Francesco. His cousin, Evangelista (Angelo) Lorusso (my grandfather) worked in the same barbershop with him. I'm looking for his ancestors plus his sons and their families.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Francesco(Frank) Ninivaggi Family

Post by Tessa78 »

rp76226 wrote:Francesco (Frank) Ninivaggi, born about 1898 in Italy and emigrated to America around 1920. He was a barber and owned his own barbership in the Bronx on Huges Avenue, near the corner of Tremont Avenue. He married Rafaella Nuzzo on Fevruary 24, 1924. They had five sons - Angelo, Vito, Nicolas, Dominic, and Francesco. His cousin, Evangelista (Angelo) Lorusso (my grandfather) worked in the same barbershop with him. I'm looking for his ancestors plus his sons and their families.
Do you have his ship manifest?

Do you know where in Italy he was born?

There is a private family tree on Ancestry. Is that yours?

According to the 1930 US Census, Francesco(Frank) immigrated in 1918 and his wife in 1920...

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Frank Ninivaggi
Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Bronx, Bronx, New York
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1918
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Fannie Ninivaggi
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Ninivaggi 32
Fannie Ninivaggi 23
Nick Ninivaggi 3
Domnick Ninivaggi 2
Frank Ninivaggi 0
[11/12]

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

According to this Petition for Naturalization

by Raffaele Ninivaggi (maiden name Nuzzi),
both she and her husband Francesco Ninivaggi were born in ALTAMURA, Bari. :D
All of the children were born in NY

It states that she arrived in the US on December 13, 1920 on the US President Wilson.
And that Francesco arrived in the US on July 4, 1920 :-)

The civil registrations (births, marriages, deaths) for Province of Bari, are being indexed by Familysearch.org and are not yet available to search online.

However, the LDS has microfilms of the records available for rent and view for the Comune of Altamura - 1809 through 1900
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F680699

You can go to your nearest Family History Center to rent/view these films.
For the nearest center
www.familysearch.org/eng

T.

T.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Yes, that's my tree. I believe the same town as my grandfather, Altamura, Bari. Rafaella had a nickname per my aunt, but could not remember it. Per the census, it must be Fannie. She thought he arrived with my grandfather at Ellis Island (April 15, 1921), but I never found him there. Hard to confrim other arrivals with the same name because I don't have info on both parents and a lot of people had that same name.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I think that the real arrival date was July 3, 1920 for Francesco Ninivaggi. Though the name is mispelled, I believe that this is really the Ellis Island record of Franceso Ninivaggi. I could not find under correct name of Francesco Ninivaggi (at the right time and age) when searching Ellis Island records. I knew he came about the time my grandfather, his cousin, did which was 1921. So I searched the town of Altamura for all 'Francesco' arrivals between 1918-1924. The list produced a Francesco Minidaggi (the closest spelling I could find to his real name) as listed on line 22. Line 22 was typed as Francesco Ninidaggi - much closer in spelling - the d should be a v to be perfect. Both d and v are near each other on the keyboard. The age of 21 in 1920 is definitely in the ballpark becasue he was close in age to my grandfather who was born in 1900. The occupation as 'barber' is what he was. His father's name listed as Francesco cannot be verified yet. I did find a marriage in Altamura in 1895 between Francesco Ninivaggi and Angela Maria Carlucci but I cannot verify if they were his parents. However, what proves to me that this is indeed him is that he is going to meet his brother in law at 945 First Street in the Bronx. That's the same address my grandfather was going to one year later when he arrived.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I think you have found the correct manifest.

Misspellings are common when the records are "transcribed" for indexing - so you will see incorrect interpretations of the handwritten letters. Minivaggi, Ninidaggi, etc.

Arrival of ship may have been July 3, and processing or release of immigrant may have been July 4, per the records. So this is correct.

Occupation and age match... as well as destination.

You seem to have it! :-)

T.