Italian Ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Zach

Italian Ancestry

Post by Zach »

Buon Giorno,

Hi. I'm Zach. I'm porbably the newest and therefore, most clueless user to this website. LOL. I didn't know how else to get a topic started so I did this. If this is incorrectly done, please let me know.

Any way, I was wondering something. I do know a lot about the history of Italy (including Sicily and Sardinia), I myself am also of Italian descent. My mom is 100% and her family (grandparents) were directly from the old country. I don't know everything specific about my family history, just the Italian history in general. Any way, I know my mom's family came from the regions of Foggia in Pulgia (I believe that's correct) closer to Greece.

Here's something I think might be able to help From what I know, some of my family's last names included Canistro, Forte and Cafforelli (I think that's the correct spelling). As I said already, I know a lot of southern Italy, througout history, was invaded by Arabs (especially Sicily). But, the reason I am bringing that up is because, I also know the Arabs also came into the mainland as well. In fact, I'm almost certain I have a few Arab traits in my physical features (as well as Greek).

If you can, please help me out in where some of these names might have their roots. I'm almost certain I have Arab, Greek and African (due to Africa's wars against Italy for Sicily before and during Rome was an empire). Again, please help me out. Thank you. Ciao :lol:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian Ancestry

Post by brujaojos »

Zach wrote:Buon Giorno,

Hi. I'm Zach. I'm porbably the newest and therefore, most clueless user to this website. LOL. I didn't know how else to get a topic started so I did this. If this is incorrectly done, please let me know.

Any way, I was wondering something. I do know a lot about the history of Italy (including Sicily and Sardinia), I myself am also of Italian descent. My mom is 100% and her family (grandparents) were directly from the old country. I don't know everything specific about my family history, just the Italian history in general. Any way, I know my mom's family came from the regions of Foggia in Pulgia (I believe that's correct) closer to Greece.

Here's something I think might be able to help From what I know, some of my family's last names included Canistro, Forte and Cafforelli (I think that's the correct spelling). As I said already, I know a lot of southern Italy, througout history, was invaded by Arabs (especially Sicily). But, the reason I am bringing that up is because, I also know the Arabs also came into the mainland as well. In fact, I'm almost certain I have a few Arab traits in my physical features (as well as Greek).

If you can, please help me out in where some of these names might have their roots. I'm almost certain I have Arab, Greek and African (due to Africa's wars against Italy for Sicily before and during Rome was an empire). Again, please help me out. Thank you. Ciao :lol:
Hi Zach,

Welcome to the group! We are here to help to the best of our knowledge.

Now about your ancestors, can you please give us first names and last names and where they settled in the USA (that's if they came to the USA).

What kind of documents do you have on your ansectors? Do you have any Naturalization Records? Do you have any census records? Tell us what kind of information you have.

When people come into the Family History Center that I volunteer at, I sit down with them and help them start filling out a pedigree chart.

Here is the PAF (Personal Ancestral File) that you can download for free from the Family History Center's website.

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/st ... list100069

Once you download it and install it, you can log in all your information so that you will be organized when searching.

But remember, give us some names and dates so that we can start to help you out!

Have a good one
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Zach

Post by Zach »

Thank you for your time and help. I really appreciate it! I don't know much at all about my family, what I do know is, some first names in my family include Theresa or Teresa (however you would spell it) Nicholas, Salvatore, another last name in my family is Didone (if that's spelled correctly) my mother's maiden name was Forte (she's 100% Italian) Most of my family settled in the Boston, MA area (not exactly in Boston, but in the Boston suburbs like Clinton, MA in the Whoster county. In fact, my two uncles still live in Clinton, MA to this day. As far as I know, that's about as best of information I can provide for you. If anything comes up, I'll be sure to notify you of it. Thank you Grazie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Zach wrote:Thank you for your time and help. I really appreciate it! I don't know much at all about my family, what I do know is, some first names in my family include Theresa or Teresa (however you would spell it) Nicholas, Salvatore, another last name in my family is Didone (if that's spelled correctly) my mother's maiden name was Forte (she's 100% Italian) Most of my family settled in the Boston, MA area (not exactly in Boston, but in the Boston suburbs like Clinton, MA in the Whoster county. In fact, my two uncles still live in Clinton, MA to this day. As far as I know, that's about as best of information I can provide for you. If anything comes up, I'll be sure to notify you of it. Thank you Grazie
Hi Zach,

Here is information I found in the 1930 Census in MA.

Nicolas Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1883 Italy
Cangeta Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1886
Lucia Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1914
Jenarro Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1916
Nina Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1918
Margaret Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1920
Lena Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1922
Magdelena Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1924
Salvador Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1926
Madeline Canistro, Lancaster, Worcester, MA abt 1929

If you tell me who your mother's parents are, maybe we can find more out for you. Who are her grandparents?

Also, how are the Canistro's related?

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum