Genoveffa Noschese/Noshase/Nachasi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Genoveffa Noschese/Noshase/Nachasi

Post by terrimusto »

I obtained a copy of my GM's Petition for Nat, along with same for my GF and his brother from the Onedaga County ,NY Courthouse. GM only had the Petition though the GF and uncle also had the Intent. My GM had two "adenda", one dated 11/13/43 saying DoJ had no objections and one dated 12/7/43 stating that the petition "erroneously states petition's present nationality as German" and ordering the petition amended to read "present nationality Italy." :arrow: Her name is listed as Jennie Restani who came into the country as Genoveffa Noshase from Prepezzano, Italy on October 31, 1903, on the good ship Citta di Milano. She is not in the passenger list that I can see. :arrow: Her marriage license, which I saw in the NY State Archive (Albany) index says her last name is Noschese. My mother's birth certificate looks like it spells her last name Nachasi. If the Nat papers are in a court house, will INS also have a copy and maybe the other ppwrk on my GF or is that all lost? :arrow: Also, any help on locating her ship would be greatly appreciated. Birth date is pretty much confirmed as 1888 so the person who comes in to the US in 1908 most likely is not her. TKS!!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Genoveffa Noschese/Noshase/Nachasi

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi :-)

Do you know her parents' names?
Did she have any siblings?

T.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi, :lol:
Some clues that may help:

Prepezzano, is a frazone or section of the comune of Giffoni Sei Casali - province: Salerno - region: Campania.

There are about 36 people with the name of Noschese in Giffoni Sei Casali.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe the place is Pezzano-Filetta ( Pezzano + Filetta both hamlets, that becoming 1 hamlet) hamlet of San Cipriano Picentino in Salerno province... many Noscheses coming from this area( San Mango Piemonte, San Cipriano Picentino as a well Montecorvino Pugliano)..
just a suggestion,
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

Tessa78 wrote:Hi :-)

T.
Unfortunately, no is left who can provide that information. I know she had two sisters here, even have a picture of one, but can't identify them.
:(

Thanks.

T
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

misbris wrote:So we don't duplicate efforts;

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 17581.html
:? Oh, yes, I do realize that I'm re-asking a question I already posed. The thing is when I first asked, I did not have some specific information and the responses I got were based on some miss-information. Her Petition for Naturalization clearly. and I presume correctly, states from where she came. That piece of paper also specifies her date of birth as 1888 and her date of arrival was 10/31/1903, which if correct, means that the Genoveffa Noschese who came into New York in 1908 at about age 12 (1896) can't be my Genoveffa. The 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census also put her date of birth a 1888. My grandmother's Petition for Naturalization lists the ship she arrived on as the Citta de Milano but she is not in the passenger list for that ship on 101/31/1903. Given the information I found since I first posted, I was hoping the new-found specificity regarding my grandma might spark some discussion on where I might look further to try to track down her arrival. T
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

We ask posters to use the original thread, regardless of mistakes, so that our researchers do not duplicate effort or records, in this case, members would be able to disregard the inaccurate information and pursue more solid research. It also helps the flow of research to concentrate on one thread as opposed to jumping back and forth.... :D
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

That's fair enough. I did not realize and thought that the passage of time would put the first post so far down the list it wouldn't be noticed. My apologies.

Just to be sure I don't make the same mistake, if I post another question which thread should I use now? I have not been able to find my GM on the passenger list her citizenship paperwork says she was on, though when I get everything from USCIS perhaps I will have a better clue where to look.

Thanks for the help. :-)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I can actually merge the two topics into one. Since there is only one previous thread, and a link has been provided by misbris, you can choose to continue with this thread.....your choice. :D

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

It's been a while now, but you asked me if I knew names of any of my GM's, Genoveffa Noschese Restani's, siblings or parents. I now know that my GM had at least two sisters and a brother as these three are listed on her Application for Certificate of Identification Form -- the sisters are Florence Mancino and Josephine Giannatasio - I assume they were both nee Noschese. One lived in Syracuse, NY, as did my GM and the other lived in NYC and later Yonkers, NY -- residence information obtained from 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census documents. MY GM's brother's name was Pasquale Noschese and is noted as living in Como, Italy but no other address.

An older cousin told me that my GM's mother's name was Bridget and the 1910 Census shows a Bridget living with Florence in Syracuse except that the last name of this Bridget is "Lobertise" which may be the Census taker's best guess or maybe she remarried at some point? I not yet found a similar name in any Italian names list.

If any of this information gives you a clue where I might look, I would really appreciate hearing back from you. Thank you in advance.

Terri

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

terrimusto wrote:It's been a while now, but you asked me if I knew names of any of my GM's, Genoveffa Noschese Restani's, siblings or parents. I now know that my GM had at least two sisters and a brother as these three are listed on her Application for Certificate of Identification Form -- the sisters are Florence Mancino and Josephine Giannatasio - I assume they were both nee Noschese. One lived in Syracuse, NY, as did my GM and the other lived in NYC and later Yonkers, NY -- residence information obtained from 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census documents. MY GM's brother's name was Pasquale Noschese and is noted as living in Como, Italy but no other address.

An older cousin told me that my GM's mother's name was Bridget and the 1910 Census shows a Bridget living with Florence in Syracuse except that the last name of this Bridget is "Lobertise" which may be the Census taker's best guess or maybe she remarried at some point? I not yet found a similar name in any Italian names list.

If any of this information gives you a clue where I might look, I would really appreciate hearing back from you. Thank you in advance.

Terri

T.
Hi,
maybe Genoveffa travelled under mother maiden name.. just a suggestion...

I found a:
Genoveffa ROBERTO age 19 coming from Giffoni Sei Casali( Prepezzano is a hamlet of this town) travelling with Brigida ROBERTO 56 old and both joining at Giuseppe MANCINI son in law of Brigida, living in 216 Savar.. st Syracuse NY

First Name: Genseffa
Last Name: Roberto
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Giffoni
Date of Arrival: Oct 31, 1903
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Citta di Milano
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0012

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012
mybe "Lobertise" could be" ROBERTO " Brigida ( Bridget) maiden name?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

Oh my gosh!!! You did it. I am so grateful. Although your information has opened up another possible mystery. I'll let you know.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

happy of help you!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Genoveffa Noschese and her sisters

Post by terrimusto »

I have posted a couple of times in the past looking for information about my GM, Genoveffa Noschese Restani. Since my original post I’ve discovered much about my GM and her family and now I am really lost. I am afraid this has turned into a ridiculously long post and I apologize in advance. :roll:

My GM has two sisters that I can positively connect to her and all three provided different maiden names on various church and government records. They are my GM, name above, her oldest sister, Fiorentina Bisgnoa Mancino and her next oldest sister, Giuseppina Romano Giannatasio. It now appears that there are two other possible sisters who have the same maiden name as Giuseppina – Benedetta Romano Novembre and Maria Letizia Romano (married name unknown as of now) all of whom born before my GM. Documents found show, that if they are all really related, there are must be more than two parents involved and there are at least two brothers as well.

The evidence that connects Genoveffa Noschese Restani with Giusepinna Romano Giannatasio as sisters is a USCIS document. A Census connects Giuseppina with Maria Letizia and anecdotal family evidence connects Giuseppina and Benedetta. There is no supporting evidence that connects Bridget, Fiorentina, Genoveffa, and Pasquale with Benedetta, Maria Letizia, or “Brother” Romano. There is also NO anecdotal family evidence of such a connection. The grandson of Benedetta and grand nephew of Maria Letizia has no knowledge of other family members nor does the grandson of Genoveffa have any knowledge of Benedetta and/or Maria Letizia.

What follows is as much detail as I can provide and probably much more than anyone really wants to read but if anyone has any ideas how to proceed. I am hopeful that a birth certificate for my GM will prove helpful so I will work towards obtaining one. Thank you in advance for your help

Terri

The Source Information
1 NY Passenger Arrivals
2 US Census data
3 USCIS data received to date
4 Registratum Matrimonium in Ecclesia
5 Registratum Baptizatorum in Ecclesia
6 Anecdotal Family Evidence
7 Italian Birth Certificate
8 NY State Wedding Certificate

The Players
• My GM - Genoveffa/Genevieve/Jenni Noschese Restani – BoD 3 July 1888 in Prepezzano, Giffoni Sei Casali, Salerno. Immigrated under the surname Roberto on 31 October1903 from Giffoni 1,2,3,4

Her Parents
• Bridget/Brigida Roberto (1910 Census shows the surname name to be Lobertise, probably a Census taker’s guess) – BoD @ 1845 in ??? Immigrated from Giffoni on 31 October 1903 1,2
• Carmine Noschese – BoD ?? – No evidence of Immigration, no known Italian residence 4

Her Siblings
• Fiorentina/Florence Bisogna Mancino – BoD @ 1874 in ??? Immigrated from ??? @ 1898. 1,2,3,5,6
• Giuseppina/Josephine Romano Giannatasio – BoD 10 October 1883 in Ponte Cagnano, Salerno, Immigrated from??? on 7 October 1904. 2,3,4,6
• Pasquele Noschese – BoD ???—No evidence of Immigration, last known place of residence, Como, Lombardy 3

Her other Siblings???
• Benedetta Romano Novembre – BoD@ 1883 in Montecorvino, Pugliano, Salerno. Immigrated from Montecorvino on 9/5/1907. 1,2,6, 8*
• Maria Letizia Romano (Married name unknown) – 16 May 1887, Montecorvino, Pugliano, Salern. Immigrated on 25 October 1909. 1,2,6,7**
• “Brother” Romano – BoD ??? —No evidence of Immigration, no known Italian residence. 6

The Problem(s)
• Bridget immigrated under the surname Roberto, which was her maiden name, and lived in this country under that name.
• Genoveffa immigrated under the surname Roberto, but lived in this country under the maiden name Noschese. See further note.
• Genoveffa listed a brother, Pasquale, as relative living in Italy as Noschese.
• Fiorentina listed her maiden name as Bisgona
• Giuseppina, Benedetta, Maria Letizia, listed their maiden name as Romano
• Benedetta Romano Novembre listed Domenico Romano and Maria Postiglione as parents on her wedding certificate
• Maria Letizia Romano’s Italian birth certificate shows her parents to be Domenico Romano and Maria Postiglione.
• Can find immigration information for Maria Letizia and Benedetta but not Fiorentina or Giuseppina

Connections
• Documents in Sources 1, 2, 3, & 4 as well as Source 6 confirm Genoveffa’s maiden name.
• Documents in Sources 1 & 4 connect Genoveffa and Bridget. Source 1 confirms both with surname as Roberto. Source 4 confirms Genoveffa’s maiden name as Noschese and Bridget’s maiden name as Roberto.
• Documents in Sources 1 & 2 connect Bridget and Fiorentina.
• Documents in Source 1 & Source 6 connect Fiorentina and Genoveffa.
• A Document in Source 3 connects Genoveffa and Pasquale.
• A Document in Source 3 connects Genoveffa and Giusepinna.
• Documents in Source 3 confirms Giuseppinna’s maiden name.
• Documents in Sources 1 & 3 & Sources 6 & 7 confirm Maria Letizia’s maiden name.
• Documents in Sources 2 & Source 6 connect Giusepinna and Maria Letizia.
• A Document in Source 3 & Source 6 connects Maria Letizia and Benedetta.
• A Document in Source 8 and Source 6 confirm Benedetta’s maiden name.
• Source 6 connects Benedetta with Giuseppina and Maria Letizia and with “Brother” Romano.

The Problem(s)
• Bridget immigrated under the surname Roberto and lived in this country under that name.
• Genoveffa immigrated under the surname Roberto, but lived in this country under the maiden name Noschese. See further note.
• Can find immigration information for Maria Letizia and Benedetta but not Fiorentina or Giuseppina
• Genoveffa listed a brother, Pasquale, as relative living in Italy as Noschese.
• Fiorentina listed her maiden name as Bisgona
• Giuseppina, Benedetta, Maria Letizia, listed their maiden name as Romano
• Benedetta Romano Novembre listed Domenico Romano and Maria Postiglione as parents on her wedding certificate
• Maria Letizia Romano’s Italian birth certificate shows her parents to be Domenico Romano and Maria Postiglione.

Note: Is it possible that the assigned the surname of Roberto on a ship’s manifest was one of those clerical errors and the name should have been Romano? I’ve heard that many people kept their newly assigned names because it was easier than trying to correct it. Could mean that Domenico Romano had a second wife. I suppose, but then where does Bisogna fit in?

Like I said, way too long a post. Your patience is appreciated