Death record listings..naming of females?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Death record listings..naming of females?

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Wonder if anyone can help?

I am searching for death record of my paternal great grandmother Angela Farrugia, who originated from Palermo, and lived in Canicatti. She married my great grandfather Rosario Caruso, and lived in Canicatti.

I cannot find any death record for her, and wonder if I should be searcing with her maiden or married name?

I have tried both, so far without any luck.
I dont know any information about her family, but she had my grandfather in 1894 so died after that (obviously!). I was hoping to find out her parents name.

I have also tried searching her birth record, in Palermo, but not had any luck with that either.....

Thanks in advance....
Grazie Patrizia
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Death record listings..naming of females?

Post by pink67 »

You have to search under her maiden name even if she was married..

Laura
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In Italy women always keep their maiden name.
This is because we want to facilitate genealogical research :wink: )

Is this your grandfather? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1423995083 (#638). If this is the case Angela's surname is Farrugio (final "o")
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Yes it is, and yes you're right her surname is Farrugio. I have been searching both Farrugio/a in Familysearch and Ancestry and seen spellings both ways. I will focus on Farruggio, and see what I can find, now I definitely know to search with her maiden name....conveniently for me!

Many thanks
Grazie Patrizia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

There are many images for Canicattì on FamilySearch. You may also try to find the marriage record, this will show her parents' names.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

On January 8 1874, Rosario Caruso, aged 30, day laborer, son of the deceased Antonio and Angela Farrugio, aged 20, daughter of Gioachino, had a female baby named Margherita, see https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n673749255
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Wow! Thanks for this...

I have saved this pic to put on my tree. I wonder if its not too much to ask, would you be able to decipher the rest, in Italian or English.

Thank you so much Livio, you have helped open a whole new branch, and I cant wait to find more...

Grazie!
Grazie Patrizia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Another female child, Maria, born 17 Dec 1892 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1423995083 #962

and there was also an Antonino, born March 5 1891 who died on the 14th of the same month. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1423995083 #221
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Buona Sera Livio,

I knew some of these, but the documents on Ancestry were very poor, and I could only see an entry in the ten year index. I looked on Family search, on the card catalogue, and found lots of information, but some details are grouped in pages of 2000 or more, so you have given me full dates of birth, and I am again, indebted to you.! Grazie.
Grazie Patrizia
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If you look at Rosario Caruso death record
Index #255
1899 March 13th in the town of Canicattì death of Rosario Caruso age 60 son of deceased Antonio Caruso and Margherita Lo Barbera husband of still living Angela Farrugio( she would be about 45 yrs old according to the birth records in 1899)
I did a quick search is it possible she died AFTER 1910

click for death record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Hi Adelfio,

Yes Angela could have died after 1910. Her son Antonino, my paternal grandfather died when my father was 3, and he died at the dinner table which prompted his family to believe that my Nonna poisoned him, although I believe he actually died of a heart attack. After that his family had nothing to do with my Nonna, or my dad and his sisters.

So I dont have any information about them. The only definite information I have is that somehow we were connected to Enrico Caruso as my nonna was left a small amount of money for her children in Enrico's will.

I guess I should write to Canicatti and see if they have recent information because I cant find anything on-line. I also cant find anything for Canicatti for 1873, and I think it was because there was a fire, and some files were damaged.

Thanks for your help Adelfio

Grazie!
Grazie Patrizia
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Farrugio weddings Canicatti 1886-1895.JPG
Buon Giorno,

Thanks Livio and Marty for your help. I have been looking to find Angela Farrugio death certificate and not had any luck. I have also tried to find the marriage certificate but not had any luck there either.

I have been wondering about the marriage of Angela to Rosario Caruso. He was from Palermo, and they lived in Canicatti. At that time would it have been more likely for the husband to move to the place his wife lived, or vice versa? Could she have gone to Palermo and they were married there?
Their first child (as far as I know) was born in Canicatti in 1874 Rita/Margherita, so are they more likely to have married in Canicatti or Palermo?

I have searched Ancestry and Family Search and found nothing. I was unable to search records for 1873 and wonder if they were damaged? My father went to Canicatti 3-4 years ago and was told many records were damaged in a fire.

Not really sure how to find out more about Angela, or her father Gioacchino as mentioned above. I did find reference to other Farrugio marriages di/fu Gioacchino in Canicatti but none for Angela. See above picture.

Could it be a sibling?

Regards
Patrizia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grazie Patrizia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Usually the marriage took (and takes) place in the town where the bride resides.
pdchenderson13 wrote: I did find reference to other Farrugio marriages di/fu Gioacchino in Canicatti but none for Angela.

I personally don't believe that this is sufficient to conclude that they are siblings.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Dont know if you have this info marriage of Antonio Caruso and Margherita Barbera parents of Rosario Caruso
Antonino Caruso
Father Matteo Caruso
Mother Caterina Manninó
Marriage location Zisa,Palermo
Date of marriage maggio 31 1834
Record info v. 135 n. 0010
Wife
Margherita Barbera
Father Rosario Barbera
Mother Stefana Virgilia

There is a allegati of there marriage on film SEZIONE DI ZISA,PALERMO allegati matrimoniali 1833-1837 Family History Library INTL Film # 1958783
Which would have more info on the family

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty