Arthur Gallo's Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Arthur Gallo's Family

Post by kpalmigiano »

Looking for information on my great-grandfather's side of the family. Seems to stop after his grandparents. Any help would be much appreciated!

Arthur (Arturo) Gallo - born 10 November 1888 in Torre Annunizata, Italy, arrived in NYC on 28 March 1905, married Fortunata Del Pizzo (Fannie) 26 May 1906, had 11 children, died April 1979

Parents: Maria Antonia Vitiello (b. about 1864 - ?), Paolo Antonio Gallo (b. about 1846)

Grandparents: Agostino Gallo m. Maria Luisa Salvatore, Michele Vitiello m. Giuseppa Innocenza
vj
Master
Master

Re: Arthur Gallo's Family

Post by vj »

kpalmigiano wrote:Looking for information on my great-grandfather's side of the family. Seems to stop after his grandparents. Any help would be much appreciated!

Arthur (Arturo) Gallo - born 10 November 1888 in Torre Annunizata, Italy, arrived in NYC on 28 March 1905, married Fortunata Del Pizzo (Fannie) 26 May 1906, had 11 children, died April 1979

Parents: Maria Antonia Vitiello (b. about 1864 - ?), Paolo Antonio Gallo (b. about 1846)

Grandparents: Agostino Gallo m. Maria Luisa Salvatore, Michele Vitiello m. Giuseppa Innocenza
Welcome to the Forum :D .
Since your family's records are kept at the comune level in Italy, were you aware that FamilySearch has civil records for Torre Annunziata online?
They aren't indexed but can be browsed.
(You may have to do a one-time free registration to access your records)
Valarie
---

FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/

Record Title:
Italy, Napoli, Torre Annunziata, Civil Registration (Comune), 1809-1899

Description:
Civil registration (stato civile) of births, marriages, and deaths within the custody of the town of Torre Annunziata (Comune di Torre Annunziata). Includes ten-year indexes (indici decennali)
---

These links may help:

Guide to Italian Records from FamilySearch
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... cestor.pdf

and Italian Records Extraction:
http://www.italygen.info/2010/09/italia ... ction.html
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

Hi Valarie,

Yup, I've been looking through those and even have a guide on how to read Italian records, but I'm still coming up short. The most I've been able to find is the information that I provided in the original post. I was hoping someone with more expertise and/or Italian language skills would be willing to help.

Karen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres how I found this record I looked in the Index figuring Agostino Gallo was born in 1881 I searched for the marriage record because that record would give the most information on Maria Antonia Vitiello (b 1858 ), Paolo Antonio Gallo (b. 1850)
Italy, Napoli, Torre Annunziata (Comune), 1809-1899
Matrimoni, indici decennali 1871-1880
Image 216 of 234
Next I went to Italy, Napoli, Torre Annunziata (Comune), 1809-1899
Matrimoni 1880
Image 43 of 98
INDEX #84
1880 June 12 8:00PM before the civil official of Torre Annunziata appeared Paolo Gallo age 30 armorer BORN IN ANGRI AND LIVING IN Torre Annunziata son of Agostino Gallo and Maria Luisa Salvatore living in ANGRI marriage to Maria Antonia Vitiello age 22 born in Torre Annunziata daughter of MIchele Vitiello and Giuseppa Innocenzo
Witnesses
Giuseppe Vitiello age 48
Luigi Vitiello age 31
So you have to start looking in Angri now for records of the Gallo's
Angri is a town and comune in the province of Salerno, Campania, Italy
website about Angri
http://web.archive.org/web/200507291129 ... /angri.htm
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

Thanks Marty. I'll go there and see what I can find.

One other question (for now :( ) I've been getting information on the Giacobbe family and based on what I've found and what you've given me, I know that Carmela Giacobbe was born in 1865 to Francesco Giacobbe and Santa Alacqua in Milazzo. I think (based on Familysearch) that Francesco was born in 1829 in Burgio, Agrigento to Maria Stella Campo. However, that is just what I found in a search and there is no document attached. I went to the records for Agrigento to see if I could find a birth certificate for Francesco, but they only go back to 1866. Any other ideas on where I can get some records from that area for the early 1800s? Also I can't find a single thing on the mother, Santa Alacqua. The name doesn't pop up in any searches on familysearch.org or ancestory.com.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Milazzo
Nati 1866-1881
Image 253 of 2072
INDEX 201
1868 July 31 before the civil official of Milazzo appeared Francesco Giacobbe age 46 son deceased PAOLO GIACOBBE and his wife Santa Alacqua daughter of deceased BERNARDO ALACQUA gave birth to a baby boy named Paolo Giacobbe

Marriage of Paolo Giacobbe
Milazzo
Matrimoni 1888-1910
Image 598 of 1943
INDEX 22
1895 Feb 21st appeared Paolo Giacobbe age 26 son of deceased Francesco Giacobbe and deceased Santa Alacqua marriage to Maria Berte age 44 daughter of Giuseppe Berte and deceased Crocifissa Griffo all residing in Milazzo

There is a baby FRANCESCO GIACOBBE 2 months old that died in 1874 Francesco Giacobbe and Santa Alacqua parents in Milazzo
Italy, Messina, Messina, ...on (Tribunale), 1866-1939
Milazzo
Morti 1869-1882
Image 403 of 1039
INDEX 206

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There is a baby girl FRANCESCA GIACOBBE 2 months old that died in 1874 Francesco Giacobbe and Santa Alacqua parents in Milazzo
Milazzo
Morti 1869-1882
Image 403 of 1039
INDEX 206

BIRTH RECORD 1874 July 19th FRANCESCA GIACOBBE her father Francesco Giacobbe was deceased at the time of her birth so look at 1874 morte for his death record
Milazzo
Nati 1866-1881
Image 911 of 2072
INDEX 214
Marty

Marty

Marty
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

[quote="adelfio"]Milazzo
Nati 1866-1881
Image 253 of 2072
INDEX 201
1868 July 31 before the civil official of Milazzo appeared Francesco Giacobbe age 46 son deceased PAOLO GIACOBBE and his wife Santa Alacqua daughter of deceased BERNARDO ALACQUA gave birth to a baby boy named Paolo Giacobbe

Marriage of Paolo Giacobbe
Milazzo
Matrimoni 1888-1910
Image 598 of 1943
INDEX 22
1895 Feb 21st appeared Paolo Giacobbe age 26 son of deceased Francesco Giacobbe and deceased Santa Alacqua marriage to Maria Berte age 44 daughter of Giuseppe Berte and deceased Crocifissa Griffo all residing in Milazzo

Well that part is super interesting, because I just found a passenger record for Crocifissa Griffo, and it says she was traveling with Carmela Giacobbe and Carmela's son. It lists Crocifissa as her sister-in-law, but that seems wrong, because of the dates. I'll have to do a bit more investigating. Thanks again for your help. It's so hard to read the handwritten records!