Looking for my Grandmother's records...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Janet T

Looking for my Grandmother's records...

Post by Janet T »

My Grandmother came to the US in 1902 on the Citta di Torino, as Giovanna Rosa Sorrentino, with her brother Pietro. She was 8, born June 24, 1893, and her brother was about 13. They list their home town as Carbonara di Nola and sailed from Naples to New York. They went to stay with their sister Maria who was already here in Brooklyn.

However, I have no information that can connect them back to a family in Italy. I know that she had a cousin Antoinette in New York, who married a man named Dominick or Nick Costanzo or Costanza, and was trying to find HER maiden name to give me a clue.

Or, even better, is there a web site where I can find my Grandmother's parents or siblings directly? I have tried church records in the Campania region, but have had a difficult time finding anything except recent burials. Sorrentino seems to still be a rather popular name!

I BELIEVE her father's name was Thomas (probably Tomasso?). That's all I know. I would be very grateful for any direction.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Looking for my Grandmother's records...

Post by Italysearcher »

http://carbonaradinola.asmenet.it/ is the town website. Write to them for records of all the names you have birthdates for. If they have 10 year indexes they might look for other siblings.
Finding relatives is not easy but possible.
www.family search.org has microfilmed records from 1809-1865.
Registri dello stato civile di Carbonara di Nola (Napoli), 1809-1865
Go to one of their centres and order the film after you have your Grandmother's birth record from the town.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Janet T

Post by Janet T »

Thank you!
Janet T

Post by Janet T »

Oops - just went to that site and of course I don't understand enough Italian to tell what anything means. Can anyone tell me what the 'contact us' or similar choice is in Italian? I had already tried family search.org, it basically gives me the same info I've found on Ancestry.com.

I did manage to find the Cousin's maiden name of Saleto but still the only birthdate I have is my grandmother's.
Janet T

Post by Janet T »

I have found a document that may be a birth certificate, but maybe it is just some kind of proof of residency needed when she left on the trip to the US. I can see my Grandmother's name and the year of her birth, 1893 but have not been able to translate much of what is there.

Would someone be able to look at this document and tell me what they can make of it? I have it posted to Ancestry.com now (it shows as a 'story') as a pdf file.
Janet T

Post by Janet T »

http://s17.postimage.org/u9juvi1lb/Sorr ... ara_di.jpg

Here is the link to the document at Post Image. I have never used this site before and would be glad to post a different way if that helps! Thanks...
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Recorded on 1893 June 24th in the town of Carbonara di Nola in house on via Moserio#6 in Carbonara di Nola appeared Domenico Sorrentino age 40 with Crucia?? Prisco recognized the birth of a baby girl named Rosa Giovanni Sorrentino
Witnesses were Francesco Cosolini age 26 and Carmine Sorrentino age 64
Side note says she left on the Ship Citardi di Torino March 15 1901

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Janet T

Post by Janet T »

Thank you so much! This is very helpful! Yes, I think my grandmother wrote the part about the ship herself.