Biagio Michele Maccagno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jcexpo

Biagio Michele Maccagno

Post by jcexpo »

Biagio Michele Maccagno -He was born about 1891?- I'm looking for information regarding my grandfather 'Biagio Maccagno'- originally from Turin , family from Piedmont - he had three sisters, Teresa, Anna and Maria - I think he went to England sometime between the wars, late 1920's. He worked in London as a chef at a restaurant called 'Luigi's Grill'. He married an English woman 'Ada Perry' and had two children.
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Re: Biaggio Maccagno

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

The surname Maccagno is mostly diffused in the Northwest Italy:

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/gen ... gnomi-prov
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found the Maccagno surname in London Gazette
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35254/pages/4859 maybe could be related your Biagio?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcexpo

Post by jcexpo »

Thanks Suanj - the Ada Clara Maccagno named in the London Gazette is his wife. It being 1941 I believe he was interned on the Isle of Man for the duration of the war so would of course not appear in the Gazette. I will certainly be visiting your website
charldarl

Re: Biagio Michele Maccagno

Post by charldarl »

Biagio is my great-grandad (on mum's side) and I've started to look into my family tree. I've found out that he was born on 7th Oct 1891, he's listed as being in the British Merchant Navy from 1918-21. I'll be trying to find out more info, if you're still interested?
jcexpo

Post by jcexpo »

Hi

My grandfather, Biagio Michele Maccagno, only had two children, Dennis and Josephine - my mother is josephine, how do you fit into this? Jimmy
charldarl

Post by charldarl »

Hi Jimmy,

My mum is Theresa, Dennis' daughter. I found out the info on findmypast.co.uk, there weren't many Maccagnos in the UK so he was easy to find! There is a Secondo Maccagno on the 1911 census, I wonder if he was a relative of Biagio's, or if it's a coincidence.

Charlotte
jcexpo

Post by jcexpo »

Hi Charlotte

So your my 1st cousin once removed - good to meet up - and I now live in Australia. I didn't have the Merchant Navy info so thanks for that. It fits as he died at the 'HMS Dreadnought' the Seamen's Hospital in Greenwhich - and you had to have been in the MN to be there.

I have had a researcher in Italy looking into his past but no luck - records very hard to trace in Italy (the key is to know where he was born? I know it was in a village in Piemonte - but that's not enough)i. I have been working on my Family Tree for 3 years now and he remains one of the main mystery's.

The info I do have is :

Born 7 October 1981 in Italy
Served in British Merchant Marine sometime between 1918 - 1922
Married Ada Clara Perry on 17 October 1923
His father's name was Michele who was a Farm Labourer (in Italy) and was dead by 1923
Opened a restaurant called 'Luigi's Grill' with his friend L. Donzelli at 55 Jermyn Street in 1936
At some point he lived at 5 Meard Street in Soho, London.
He was interned at the start of WWII but have still not found any records - needs some research at the National archives in Kew.
He died on 15th May 1950 of Renal failure (probably more information than you need).

I only have a couple of photos of him and a copy of the marriage and death certificates and if you'd like a copy I'll happily send them to you if you email me at jcexpo@me.com.. Are you also looking into your Great Grandmother Ada? I have some details on her if you are.

If you come up with any more on Biagio I'd love to hear about it and if I unearth any molre I'll be sure to copy you in.

All the best

Jimmy