My grandmother's handwritten birth certificate - an issue?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
WLF

My grandmother's handwritten birth certificate - an issue?

Post by WLF »

I got my grandmother's birth certificate from New York and like many older documents it is handwritten. My grandmother's name is Ada and everything else I have with her name on it says Ada, but this is what her birth cert looks like.

Everything I know tells me that this is a capital "I" making my grandmother's birth certificate name Ida, not Ada.

Do I need to go through the process of having this record changed, or might the Chicago consulate accept this as saying Ada? Obviously if it was typed out as an "I" there would be an issue, but does the fact that it is handwritten leave it up to the reader?
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My grandmother's handwritten birth certificate - an issu

Post by KarenChristino »

Unfortunately, I agree that it looks like Ida. Is your GM in the direct line or not? At the NYC Consulate, they were not so strict about non-direct line people and just asked for a photocopy of the record.

When was your GM born? If before 1910, the Municipal Archives holds this record and it cannot be corrected. If she is still alive, you may be able to correct it through vital records if she was born after that date.
WLF

Post by WLF »

She is in the direct line. She was born in 1924 so I will be going through NYC vital records to have the record changed.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

My brother had no trouble changing my father's name on his B.C. in NYC as per the Consulate's request. You can probably mail it in, although I believe for birth record corrections you will need to submit original documents. You will probably need to get a baptism record or something similar to correct the spelling. Here is the form -- it says what they will accept:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/p ... orrect.pdf

If that doesn't work you may more easily have her marriage record and subsequent records corrected to reflect her name as listed on the B.C.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Best to go in so you can speak with someone. The problem with NYC is that they will allow you to change your own or your child's bc, but I don't know if there is an established procedure to change a grandparent's.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I'd assume the GM would have to complete the form, no?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If grandmother is still living, that would work, and it would be an easy change. When I went in to order my dad's bc, I brought in a certified letter from him authorizing me to do so and a copy of his driver's license to confirm his identity.

If gm is no longer living, it becomes more difficult.