Help finding WWI Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
giorgi77

Help finding WWI Italian Military Records

Post by giorgi77 »

Recently I was fortunate enough to apply and receive my Italian citizenship jure sanguinis. It all started as a stroke of luck about 4 years ago as I was casually looking up ancestry documents on Ancestry.com. I happened to come across my grandfather's US naturalization document and lo and behold, my mother's name was on it as a 9 month old infant. Sheer luck as we all never knew this because he had passed away 35 years before.

As you can imagine, the events that followed galvanized my determination to uncover as much information about my Italian heritage as possible. At this point I am trying to find out information about my great grandfather. He too later emigrated and naturalized as a US citizen however we know that when he was in his late teens/early 20's he served in the Italian military during WWI. According to family lore, he was shot in the arm in the Po Valley and was fortunate enough to be discharged.

I am traveling to Rome in several weeks and my goal is to be able to come back with his military records. I know that his Comune was Roma when he was 18. Does anyone know anything about obtaining these records? What building? Department? Etc? Any information would be a tremendous help. I'm specifically looking to obtain his Registro di Leva, Folglio di Congedo Illmitato and Registro dei Foglie Matricolari.

Thank you

(Sorry for the long story but I thought a little background might help)
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help finding WWI Italian Military Records

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the IG website there are some military records online do you have a name birthdate and town he was born in ?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
giorgi77

Post by giorgi77 »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, his Comune was Roma until after the war. It was then Torrice. He was born in November 1892.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

DISTRETTO MILITARE DI ROMA
VIA CARLO ALBERTO DALLA CHIESA 2
00192 - ROMA (RM)
Tel. 063208242
Tel. 063216294
I fondi dell'Archivio di Stato di Roma: UFFICIO LEVA DI CIVITAVECCHIA (classi 1850-1899); DISTRETTO MILITARE DI ROMA (classi 1923-1939), conservano le liste di leva dei giovani, nati e residenti nei comuni del mandamento, chiamati alla visita di leva. Per ogni iscritto si riportano: maternità, paternità, il domicilio, la professione, i dati somatici e l'esito della visita (abile, riformato, rimandato). Il fondo DISTRETTO MILITARE DI ORVIETO (che comprende anche i comuni della provincia di Rieti) contiene invece i ruoli matricolari e le rubriche alfabetiche (classi 1859-1895), con annotazioni sul servizio militare prestato, il corpo di arruolamento, le campagne di guerra fino al congedo, sono presenti anche i ruoli della Milizia volontaria di sicurezza nazionale per le classi 1881-1915. Per gli arruolati della circoscrizione di Roma (classi 1843-1939) i ruoli matricolari sono raccolti nel DISTRETTO MILITARE DI ROMA. Presso l'Archivio Centrale dello Stato sono presenti documenti collegati alla organizzazione dell'esercito. Per la rilevanza biografica si segnalano gli atti dei tribunali militari (1834-1999) e il fondo che raccoglie i libretti degli ufficiali (1920-1970). I fondi soggetti a periodici incrementi .

The funds of the State Archives of Rome: OFFICE OF LEVER Civitavecchia (classes 1850-1899); MILITARY DISTRICT OF ROME (classes 1923-1939), maintain lists of military youth, born and residing in the municipalities of the district, called the visit lever. For each member are reported: Maternity, paternity, residence, occupation, somatic data and the outcome of the visit (skilled, reformed, postponed). The fund MILITARY DISTRICT OF ORVIETO (which includes the municipalities of the province of Rieti) instead contains the serial numbers and roles alphabetical headings (classes 1859-1895), with notes on military service, the body of conscription, the war campaigns to leave, there are also the roles of the militia and national security for classes 1881-1915. For those enrolled in the district of Rome (classes 1843-1939) roles in the serial numbers are collected MILITARY DISTRICT OF ROME. At the Central State Archives are documents related to the organization of the army. For the biographical significance can be reported acts of military courts (1834-1999) and the fund that collects books of officers (1920-1970). The funds subject to periodic increases.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
giorgi77

Post by giorgi77 »

Thanks Marty. This is great.

Hopefully it won't be too difficult when I get there.... :)