Weird scenario with my mum's divorce certificate....

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mono1

Weird scenario with my mum's divorce certificate....

Post by mono1 »

I had my Italian citizenship recognised about 9 months ago and got an Italian passport etc but I am concerned about one thing though.. I got my italian citizenship through both my Italian-born grandparents - mum - me. After speaking to my mum (about 4 months ago) she told me that when she went in to get her citizenship recognised (we went in on separate days) that the lady at the consulate informed my mum that she was not familiar with my mum's type of divorce certificate and told my mum that in Italy our commune may not accept it, she then informed my mum that it wasn't that important as it has no bearing on her or her children's citizenship and that my mum could come back at a later date to register her divorce and for the "time being" she put my mum down as legally separated as to not require the divorce document in order to recognise her citizenship, then later me and my brothers had our citizenship recognised too. Once my mum told me this I thought it was odd, so my mum and I went into the consulate to ask them what we needed to do in order to register my mum's divorce we spoke to the same lady. she basically just took my mum's divorce certificate with apostile and all and wrote up some things and bam like that registered my mum's divorce like it was no big deal having said that she did inform us that our documents were still not registered in our commune in italy and that they may not accept/or they may want more proof of my mum's divorce - she seemed clueless as to what extra proof may be required for her divorce if needed at all. Now I don't understand why she didn't just take my mum's divorce certificate in the first place and for some reason even though I have done nothing wrong I feel insecure about it and my citizenship. My mum is registered in AIRE and the consulate now as being divorced and it has not bearing on my citizenship I'm still an Italian citizen even though she divorced my dad but I feel for some reason that something may not be right even though I am 100% an Italian citizen by law. I feel that my citizenship wasn't recognised properly even though the consulate worker told me I "should relax and not worry and that my mum's divorce has no bearing on my citizenship I was recognised from my birth to an italian citizen." What if my mum's divorce certificate isn't accepted by my commune in Italy? Will i have to be recognised as an Italian citizen all over again??
Any opinions, thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Weird scenario with my mum's divorce certificate....

Post by mler »

Relax; you have nothing to worry about. The divorce has absolutely no bearing on your and your mother's citizenship. Ultimately the comune will get the divorce in their records, but it will not change anything for either of you.
mono1

Post by mono1 »

Thank you so much for your reply! i really appreciate it :) I am just concerned what happens if they don't accept my mum's divorce certificate in the commune Italy and I'm thinking crazy here but what would happen if the laws change by which I am no longer entitled to italian citizenship (as i'm getting from both my grandparents - my mum - me) and my documents are still not registered in the commune? What would happen as I already have an Italian passport???

Crazy I know but thanks for any opinions or thoughts!!!
mono1

Post by mono1 »

No more advice... or is this a non-issue?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They've been no more posts on this topic because it's a non issue.