Leone Family History

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Leone22

Leone Family History

Post by Leone22 »

HI there,

I"m trying to find out the name of my great grandfather's parents.

His name is Salvatore Quintino Leone but I'm not sure if its different on his birth certificate as in Quintino Leone.

He was born in Olivadi Calabria on Feb 12 1897.

any help is appreciated!!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Leone Family History

Post by Italysearcher »

The records for Olivada are available on line www.familysearch.org

Italy, Catanzaro, Olivadi - Civil registration (1)

Registri dello stato civile di Olivadi (Catanzaro), 1809-1910
author: Olivadi (Catanzaro). Ufficio dello stato civile
availability: Online
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Leone22

Post by Leone22 »

Hi thanks for the reply.

Do you have a direct link for that? I've been to family search.org and I can never find anything.

Thank you so much
Leone22

Post by Leone22 »

Would it be possible that my great grandfather does not have a birth certificate? He is "figlio N.N." Apparently his mother left him on someone's doorstep to be raised. My grandfather never ever spoke of this and now that he's passed all of this is coming to light. My grandmother tells me that the family rumour is that my great grandfather's mother slept around and this was a disgrace and thats why Nonno Quintino was abandoned. But during that time I believe that there was a war going on "persian gulf war"?? maybe she was raped? there could be several possibilities.

What I would really like to know is how is how the name Leone came into play? is that the surname of the parent's who raised him? OR is the other family rumor really true and did my grandfather wake up one morning and say "today I feel like a Leone from now on that is my name"
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the link to the Olivadi registrations at familysearch.org
Unfortunately, these "online" records are only viewable at your local Family History Center (a recent development with some of the LDS records that were online)
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F784500

You can go to your nearest FHC and look at the records.
To find nearest center...
https://familysearch.org/locations

As for whether or not your GGF had a birth record... all births were required to be registered when the child was presented to the local official. The births of abandoned children were recorded as well, and these "proietti" (abandoned) records are sometimes found in Parte II of the book of birth acts. If totally abandoned, there would be no father or mother indicated on the record, and the child would be given a name by the official. The surname could have been a "fantasy" name, one that was not found in the comune. HOWEVER, the surname LEONE is quite common in Catanzaro Province, so my guess is that the child may have been born to a woman who did not name the father (for a number of reasons), and it is POSSIBLE that her surname was LEONE. I don't believe a child who was abandoned would have been given a name that was common in the comune.

Here is an interesting article about children who were born outside of marriage in Italy...
http://italiangenealogy.com/articles/it ... e-marriage

T.
Leone22

Post by Leone22 »

wow this is a lot of information. If my GGF was born in 1897 then and according to the article above there is a chance that at least the mother's name would be on the certificate. He would definately need or have had a birth certificate to join the military get married be baptized etc right?

I'm very new to this. I've order the films whcih will be delivered to a library near me does anyone know what information I can expect to see on a birth certificate from that era?

Also, at some point i'm assuming that his biological mother would have gotten married wouldn't she have had to report to census how many children she's given birth to?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Leone22 wrote:wow this is a lot of information. If my GGF was born in 1897 then and according to the article above there is a chance that at least the mother's name would be on the certificate. MAYBE He would definately need or have had a birth certificate to join the military get married be baptized etc right? Yes

I'm very new to this. I've order the films whcih will be delivered to a library near me does anyone know what information I can expect to see on a birth certificate from that era?
Here is a link that will help you when you look at the birth records...
https://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads ... efault.htm

Also, at some point i'm assuming that his biological mother would have gotten married you should not make this assumption... wouldn't she have had to report to census how many children she's given birth to? They did not have a census that is like the census in the US that asks how many children, etc. And if she abandoned the child and did not marry, she probably would not have acknowledged it. :-(
T.