Census & Voters Lists, New York State 1915

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Census & Voters Lists, New York State 1915

Post by Help »

Could someone with an active Ancestry.com membership please download the record for Marie Scandiffio, born about 1848 in Italy, for the Census & Voters Lists, New York State Census 1915. I believe she lived in Kings, New York, USA.

Thank you.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: Census & Voters Lists, New York State 1915

Post by rancelli »

New York, State Census, 1915 about Marie Scandiffio
Name: Marie Scandiffio
Birth Year: abt 1848
Birth Place: Italy
Residence Place: New York, Kings
Relationship: Mother
Color or Race: White
Number of Years in US: 17
Assembly District: 16
House Number: 1562
Line Number: 12
Page Number: 44
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Scandiffio 42
Tereta Scandiffio 37
Nicholas Scandiffio 15
Jeny Scandiffio 24
Maris Scandiffio 13
Joseph Scandiffio 11
Eliza Scandiffio 10
Marie Scandiffio 67
Victor Scandiffio 41
Catherne Scandiffio 30
Michael Scandiffio 29
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Thank you so much! I noticed this record states Marie (Maria) Scandiffio has been in the U.S. for 17 years - this should be 7 years as she arrived in 1908. Also does the record give a street name as I see the house # is 1562? Does is give a relationship and/or occupation for Michael Scandiffio age 29? I know who everyone else is on this record but not sure who he is.

Thanks,

Sandra
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

For some reason even when you save the image to your computer, it's a little out of focus. Anyway according to the census, Michael is listed as a brother, I'm assuming a brother to Frank since Frank is the head of the household. Says he was in the country for 14 years, not naturalized, and was a Tailor by profession. As far as street, it just says 72 Street. This is in Kings County, NY. Sounds like it's in Brooklyn?
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

Help wrote:Thank you so much! I noticed this record states Marie (Maria) Scandiffio has been in the U.S. for 17 years - this should be 7 years as she arrived in 1908. Also does the record give a street name as I see the house # is 1562? Does is give a relationship and/or occupation for Michael Scandiffio age 29? I know who everyone else is on this record but not sure who he is.

Thanks,

Sandra
She should have arrived approximately 1898. I cropped the image for you, now it's a lot easier to read.

http://postimage.org/image/yatow8eff/full/
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

Possibly your Michael Scandiffio? He was traveling with his brother Giorlamo? Both were going to their brother Francesco in NY in 1900. On that 1915 census it says Michael was in the country for 14 years, which brings it close to 1900. I'm not sure if this is where Michael was born, but his last residence was in Pomarico in the region of Basilicata. Just thought I'd share this with you in case you didn't know where your family originated from. You'll have to determine whether or not this is your relative or not. I will say this much, according to Ellis Island records, it looks like majority of the people with the Scandiffio surname came from Pomarico.

http://postimage.org/image/s8gonvjon/full/
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Yes, this is my family on my father's side. They all came from Pomarico. Thanks so much for this record. My father Joseph was a son of Giuseppe Scandiffio one of the brothers of Francesco, Giorlamo & Michael & Vito. My grandfather Giuseppe & his wife Angelina Calabrese came over to New York as newly weds in 1901 (I have the record from Ellis Island). The 1915 census record saying Marie Scandiffio had been in the US for 17 years was probably Maria Mastrogiacomo (I think the census taker just assumed her last name was Scandiffio) living in that house with them who was the mother of Teresa Scandiffio (Mastrogiacomo) as they both came to the US in 1898 & she had always lived with them (as seen on other census records). Again, thank you for all your help!