Giuseppe Teresi of Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
steresa

Giuseppe Teresi of Sicily

Post by steresa »

I am new to the site and need help finding where in Italy my grandfather came from.
His surname was changed from Teresi to Teresa after 1938.
My mother has passed away, and I have heard a lot of different facts about our Italian family, but want to see the evidence from the records.

Here is what I know from his naturalization record.

Giuseppe Teresi
b. Feb 16 87 must mean 1887 and also 1884
d. 5 March 1961 Los Angeles, Ca

Wife was Carolina Gugino

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Steresa
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Teresi of Sicily

Post by Biff83 »

Welcome to IG!!

Here is his Petition for Naturalization record. Shows place of birth as Vallelunga (Pratameno, province Caltanissetta, region Sicily). Record also contains marriage and immigration information.

http://imageshack.us/a/img268/1402/teresinat.jpg

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Declaration of Intention with picture.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/729/teresipic.jpg

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1904 New Orleans ship manifest, line 10. Travelling with brother Rosario.
Destination New Orleans to join brother Calogero.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/3660/teresiship.jpg

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1904 ship manifest for wife Carolina Gugino, line 6, travelling with sister Maria Stella and mother Rosalia Muscarella to join father/husband Giuseppe Gugino. Last residence Vallelunga.

http://imageshack.us/a/img525/3060/guginoship.jpg

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Biff83 wrote:1904 New Orleans ship manifest, line 10. Travelling with brother Rosario.
Destination New Orleans to join brother Calogero.

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/3660/teresiship.jpg

Biff
Should be to join father Calogero. Sorry.

Biff
steresa

Post by steresa »

Biff...thanks! This was helpful and a great start. There seems to be a discrepancy on his birth year. I'll do some more digging. Thanks for taking the time to help me...it's much appreciated! Steresa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Steresa! :-D

Using the great information both you and Biff :-D provided, I was able to locate Giuseppe's birth record in 1884 in Vallelunga Pratameno :-)

Record #121
Dated 27 May 1884 at 5:10 PM at the town office
Appearing before the official was Calogero Teresi, age 23, peasant farmer residing in Vallelunga, to declare that at 11:30 PM on the 26th of the current month at the place at Via Pila, to Loreta Ruffino, his legitimate wife, age 20, spinner, liviing with him; was born a male child that he presented to the official and to whom was given the name Giuseppe...
Witnesses to the recording of this act:
Angelo Giardino, 46, citizen
Giuseppe Ferranto, 44, barber

I also located the birth record of Giuseppe's brother Rosario in 1888 in Vallelunga
Record is #62 at bottom left
Father, Calogero, was not present at the birth. Presentation was made by Cosima Cammarata. Calogero's occupation is now listed as cart driver.

T.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi T :D

Great finds.

Based on the birth records you found, here's a 1904 New Orleans manifest for Giuseppe's mother Loreta Ruffino and siblings Salvatore, Loreto, Carolina and Angelo, lines 20-24.

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/6075/ruffino1904.jpg

Biff
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hey Biff :-)

Nice manifest!!!
Great to have the names of the younger siblings :-D

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Calogero Teresi and Loreta Ruffino
INDEX 29
1883 Aug 11th in the town of Vallelunga Pratameno appeared Calogero Teresi age 21 farmer born in San Cataldo son of deceased Giuseppe Teresi and Calogera Gola married to Loreta Ruffino age 20 spinner born in Vallelunga Pratameno daughter of Rosario Ruffino and Cosima Cammarata

Click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Death record of Giuseppe Teresi
1867 Dec 26th death of Giuseppe Teresi in Vallelunga Pratameno age 46 son of deceased Calogero Tersi and deceased Santa Barone and wife of Calogera Raimondo

click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Caltanissetta > Vallelunga Pratameno > Allegati di Matrimonio > 1883
pages 66-70 has birth records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
steresa

Post by steresa »

Hi All...wow..you guys are good! Thanks for the help! My biggest obstacle is that I have the birth record from Vallelunga on May 27 1884 but the naturalization records, death records show him born in Vallelunga on Feb 16, 1887? I've searched 1887 for Caltanissetta and Vallelunga and can't find any record. Any suggestions? Thanks in adavance for your help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

steresa wrote:Hi All...wow..you guys are good! Thanks for the help! My biggest obstacle is that I have the birth record from Vallelunga on May 27 1884 but the naturalization records, death records show him born in Vallelunga on Feb 16, 1887? I've searched 1887 for Caltanissetta and Vallelunga and can't find any record. Any suggestions? Thanks in adavance for your help!
US records can be inaccurate for many different reasons. Though you see 1887 on records here for his birth, it would appear from the birth record found that he was born in 1884.
For instance...I looked at one of the naturalization records that identify Giuseppe's wife's birth date as 1893... looked for that but didn't find it. The ship manifest for her arrival and that of her mother and sister give her birthdate as about 1891, and that is where I found her birth record! :-)

Carolina Gugino, born 12 April 1891, in Vallelunga to Giuseppe (age 49) and to Rosa Muscarella (age 43).

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Loreta Ruffino birth act
1863 Oct 5th in Vallelunga Pratameno Loreta Ruffino daughter of Rosario Ruffino age 30 (1833) and Cosima Cammarata age 26(1837)

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

1861 Aug 19th
Birth act of Calogero Teresi born in San Cataldo son of Giuseppe Teresi age 30 (1831)and Calogera Gota age 18 (1843)

Marty

Marty