Nicolo Toscano and Rosa Bafunno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Nicolo Toscano and Rosa Bafunno

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Would also love to learn more about my great great grandparents Nicolo Toscano and Rosa Bafunno. They had one daughter named Carmela and possibly had other children as well. Their daughter Carmela Toscano was born in approximately 1878 so I'm guessing Nicolo and Rosa were married about 1876.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Nicolo Toscano and Rosa Bafunno

Post by Italysearcher »

You need to tell us where they were born. Without the town you don't find anything in Italy.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thanks for that. I am pretty sure they would have been born in Saponara di Grumento, if not one of the surrounding towns in the province of Potenza.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Carmela Toscano
INDEX# 52
1878 Aug 12 in the town of Saponara di Grumento at 11:30 AM appeared Nicola Toscano age 38 farmer with his legal wife Rosa Bafunno gave birth to a baby girl named Carmela Toscano
Side notes
Married 1898 June 16 to Francesco Lauria in Saponara di Grumento
Died Jan 21 1960
Click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marriage of Carmela Toscano
INDEX #12
1898 June 16 in the town of Saponara di Grumento appeared Francesco Lauria age 24 farmer born and residing in Saponara di Grumento son of Michelangelo Lauria and Teresa Padula married to Carmela Toscano age 20 born and residing in Saponara di Grumento daughter of nicola Toscano and Rosa Bafunno

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Nicola Toscano being 38 at the time of Carmela's birth he might of got married alot earlier maybe in the 1860's. I would check ancestry.com for more children born before Carmela birth of 1878

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Death record of Nicola Toscano
INDEX# 8
1909 Feb 12th in the town Saponara di Grumento at house on via Marcoso at 5:15 pm declared the death of Nicola Toscano age 70(1839) farmer born in Saponara di Grumento son of deceased Pasquale Toscano and deceased Carmela Romeo husband of Rosa Bafunno

Marty

Marty
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Awesome. Thank you Marty. This has given me so much information. Very much appreciated.

I've had a look on ancestry.com today, just briefly, and have also searched their site in the past but I have never been successful there so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I always come up with the same things - Italian immigrants to the U.S.???
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You need a universal subscription on ancestry.com Go to search/card catalog/enter Italy in title and it will bring up all the Italian areas with records. You go get back further with the records on microfilm from Family HIstory Library of Saponara di Grumento which would be listed under Grumento Nova (Potenza), 1809-1910 Births, banns, marriages, deaths, miscellaneous records, supplemental records.

Marty

Marty
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Well thank you again! That certainly solves that mystery - I don't have a universal subscription and probably won't have for a little while. It was great that you wrote down the navigation steps - I've visited ancestry.com since and am definitely navigated to Italians from Grumenta. When you suggest Family History Library of Saponara di Grumento I am understanding you to mean the LDS site? Visited there today and a very good site. We have a LDS Family History Centre where I live so will visit there one day and order some films like both you and Erudita and others have suggested. So here's hoping! Thank you again.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You are very welcome If you find some family on the films and need the record translated just posted on here there are plenty of good people to translate for you

Marty

Marty
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Help with Translation Please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I would really appreciate someone looking at the following link for me and filling in any important gaps. I saved the image a few months ago but couldn’t read it because it was SO FAINT so am having another attempt today. I am also puzzled by the side note. Here's the link:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n330442076

This is what I’ve managed to read:
INDEX NO 33, IMAGE 206, PAGE 14
LAURIA, FRANCESCO
BORN 1874, 22 MARCH
(Very faint on my computer, can’t read the next bit.)

FATHER: LAURIA, MICHELANGELO SON OF (deceased) GIUSEPPE
WIFE: PADULA, TERESA DAUGHTER OF (deceased) FRANCESCO

Okay, now the side note under the Index No seems to read:
“16 June 1898 Lauria, Francesco marries Padula, Teresa???”
Have the officials made an error here or am I reading this wrong??

(Teresa Padula is Francesco’s mother and I’ve calculated that this would be the Francesco Lauria who married Carmela Toscano. See below)

"Marriage of Carmela Toscano
INDEX #12
1898 June 16 in the town of Saponara di Grumento appeared Francesco Lauria age 24 farmer born and residing in Saponara di Grumento son of Michelangelo Lauria and Teresa Padula married to Carmela Toscano age 20 born and residing in Saponara di Grumento daughter of nicola Toscano and Rosa Bafunno"

Thank you. Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

You perfectly understood what the act states!
I think in the note tehre's a wrong name because of an error by the clerk, who confused mother and bride.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:You perfectly understood what the act states!
I think in the note tehre's a wrong name because of an error by the clerk, who confused mother and bride.
Wonderful! Thank you so much for checking this for me.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

HELP WITH TRANSLATION PLEASE

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I just need help with Michelangelo's occupation and also the street name. I think it is No 635 Santa ?. It is Act No 96 Image 644 LAURIA, Angiola. Here is the link:

Whoops, no it isn't. :) I'll go find it and come back.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: HELP WITH TRANSLATION PLEASE

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:I just need help with Michelangelo's occupation and also the street name. I think it is No 635 Santa ?. It is Act No 96 Image 644 LAURIA, Angiola. Here is the link:

Whoops, no it isn't. :) I'll go find it and come back.
Hopefully this is the link:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n330442076