Maturo's from San Salvatore Telesino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Carlo7

Maturo's from San Salvatore Telesino

Post by Carlo7 »

Does anyone have any information regarding any Maturo's from San Salvatore Telesino or how I might go about getting a marriage or birth certificate (and verifying that they truly are from there). I believe they are from San Salvatore Telesino, from the Ellis Island records.

Thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Maturo's from San Salvatore Telesino

Post by Tessa78 »

Carlo7 wrote:Does anyone have any information regarding any Maturo's from San Salvatore Telesino or how I might go about getting a marriage or birth certificate (and verifying that they truly are from there). I believe they are from San Salvatore Telesino, from the Ellis Island records.

Thanks.
Hello Carlo7 :-D

If you provide a bit more information (including the ship manifest you reference) we can help you with trying to verify the place of birth.

However, you can write directly to the comune of San Salvatore Telesino to request birth and marriage record if you believe that is their place of origin...

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Gioia, 1
82030 San Salvatore Telesino (BN)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Online at the Database Ruoli Matricolari of Archivio di Stato di Benevento (MILTARY RECORDS WHICH GO BY THE DATE OF BIRTH OR CLASS) there is a lot of Maturo's from San Salvatore Telesino
Like T says some names and dates theres plently of helpful people on here

Website PG LINK
http://www.archiviodistatobenevento.ben ... h_form.asp

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Carlo7

Post by Carlo7 »

Thank you both for the help. His name was Michele Maturo and settled in Kansas City Mo. I unfortunately have have two birth dates. From his death certificate Mar 24, 1879 and from his WWI registration form Mar 24, 1875. Below is the closest manifest I could find. It looks like it says something regarding Missouri, but is hard to read.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 0887418400&
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Carlo7 wrote:Thank you both for the help. His name was Michele Maturo and settled in Kansas City Mo. I unfortunately have have two birth dates. From his death certificate Mar 24, 1879 and from his WWI registration form Mar 24, 1875. Below is the closest manifest I could find. It looks like it says something regarding Missouri, but is hard to read.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 0887418400&
Taking a look at the manifest you posted, I can see that the final destination (column 11) was changed from New York to New Haven, Conn. (written above it).
In column 16 (relative, etc.) it indicates "uncle Ang. Massone" (could be Marrone)440 Congress Ave. NY...
HOWEVER, on the next line, passenger also from S. Salvatore Telesino, Lorenzo Marone, is going to the same address (440 Congress Ave.) but in New Haven, to his "father Angelo"
Looks like they were headed to the same place - my guess, New Haven, Conn. at that time. Maybe we can find a US Census for 1900 in Connecticut for him :-)

OR... maybe this is not your Michele?
T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think you got the right shipmanifest if this is the right 1910 census name is misspelled
Mike Matour, "United States Census, 1910
Name: Mike Matour
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Residence: Kansas City Ward 7, Jackson, Missouri
Marital Status: Married
Race : White
Immigration Year: 1898
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Family Number: 168
Page Number: 12
Household Gender Age Birthplace
SELF Mike Matour M 35y Italy
WIFE Lema Matour F 35y Italy
SON Leslie Matour M 10y Italy
DAU Lena Matour F 7y Italy
DAU Mary Matour F 3y Italy
SON Tony Matour M y 8m Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Same family as adelfio :D posted, but in the 1920 Census

Name: Michael Matura
Residence: , Jackson, Missouri
Estimated Birth Year: 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Birthplace:
Film Number: 1820925
Digital Folder Number: 4312412
Image Number: 00410
Sheet Number: 15
Household Gender Age Birthplace
SELF Michael Matura M 43y Italy
WIFE Jennie Matura F 43y Italy
SON Leslie Matura M 19y Italy
DAU Lena Matura F 16y New York
SON Antonio Matura M 8y Missouri

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you know the maiden name of his wife maybe that's the way to go to find her shipmanifest probally traveling with her son

Marty

Marty
Carlo7

Post by Carlo7 »

adelfio wrote:Do you know the maiden name of his wife maybe that's the way to go to find her shipmanifest probally traveling with her son
The Census's above are correct! Most of the names are spelled incorrectly or phonetically though. His wife was named Giacondina. I don't know her maiden name and I was unable to decipher her maiden name from the Missouri death certificates of their son's Leslie (Real name Luigi which I learned last night from the 1905 NY census) and Antonio and there unfortunately two maiden names listed. There is also a daughter with the last name misspelled Carmela Matura with the same maiden name for Leslie that appears be phonetically spelled as Zocoglia as I couldn't find anyone by that name. Can you please take a look at the handwriting on the death certificates of the three and see what name you think is listed?

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... searchdeat

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... Year=#null
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Carlo7 wrote:
adelfio wrote:Do you know the maiden name of his wife maybe that's the way to go to find her shipmanifest probally traveling with her son
The Census's above are correct! Most of the names are spelled incorrectly or phonetically though. His wife was named Giacondina. I don't know her maiden name and I was unable to decipher her maiden name from the Missouri death certificates of their son's Leslie (Real name Luigi which I learned last night from the 1905 NY census) and Antonio and there unfortunately two maiden names listed. There is also a daughter with the last name misspelled Carmela Matura with the same maiden name for Leslie that appears be phonetically spelled as Zocoglia as I couldn't find anyone by that name. Can you please take a look at the handwriting on the death certificates of the three and see what name you think is listed?

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... searchdeat

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... Year=#null
Antonio death record says Giacondina Pappo The other records I think might be possible Giacondina Zoccolillo which is a surname from San Salvatore Telesino
Can you post the link to that 1905 census?

Marty

Marty
Carlo7

Post by Carlo7 »

Marty
Here's the link.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/SPNF-JJ2
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I would write to the commune San Salvatore Telesino like T says for the birth record of Luigi to verify the mothers maiden name and go from there

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Gioia, 1
82030 San Salvatore Telesino (BN)
ITALY

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di atti di nascita di Luigi Maturo
29 Marzo 2013
Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOUR NAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da San Salvatore Telesino. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
L’individuo seguente è il mio antenato. Quanto segue è tutto ciò che so di questa persona:
Nome e cognome: Luigi Maturo
Data di nascita: circa 1900
Luogo di nascita: San Salvatore Telesino
Nome e cognome del padre: Michele Maturo
Potreste cercare l’atto di nascita di questa persona nei vostri registri dal 1888-1901?
Per favore, vi chiedo di spedirmi una delle fotocopie informazioni familiari su atti di nascita di Luigi Maturo
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID NO MONEY

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Antonio death record says Giacondina Pappo The other records I think might be possible Giacondina Zoccolillo which is a surname from San Salvatore Telesino

Marty[/quote]

Looking at the death records, surname looks like NOGAGLIA

Possible manifest?

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Gioconda Nogaglia
Name: Gioconda Nogaglia
Arrival Date: 10 Jun 1889
Birth Date: abt 1873
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: La Bretagne

T.
Carlo7

Post by Carlo7 »

adelfio wrote:I would write to the commune San Salvatore Telesino like T says for the birth record of Luigi to verify the mothers maiden name and go from there
Marty
Thank you both for your time. I think I'll go the letter writing route. I've read about sending letters to Italy, but I'm confused on how they will send the info back. Will I need to send an envelope with minimal American postage or some special postage for it to make it back from Italy to the US?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Just ask the post office I think it now is a $1.25 stamp to send a letter to Italy they will handle sending it back to you from the comune with your info

Marty

Marty