Need help deciphering names of people and place

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jessicarucco
Rookie
Rookie

Need help deciphering names of people and place

Post by jessicarucco »

Hi everyone - I am trying to pinpoint exactly where my GGM was from so I can contact the appropriate comune. At the moment I have a NY passenger list and I also have my GGM marriage certificate.

What I am having trouble figuring out:

There is a town on the passenger list of her last residence, for the life of me I can not figure out what is written. She was from the Campania/ Naples area. I have attached a screen shot of just the town information with the town highlighted, and also a shot of the entire page in case it helps some to compare with the person's handwriting of other things. On a side note about the passenger list - I'm also trying to figure out what it says her father's name is over on the far right, which leads me to my next predicament:

On the marriage certificate it lists her mother and father - the best I can do with the father's first name is Cirriacco? Apparently my skills at deciphering other people's handwriting need some work. :) Any ideas would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Need help deciphering names of people and place

Post by erudita74 »

jessicarucco wrote:Hi everyone - I am trying to pinpoint exactly where my GGM was from so I can contact the appropriate comune. At the moment I have a NY passenger list and I also have my GGM marriage certificate.

What I am having trouble figuring out:

There is a town on the passenger list of her last residence, for the life of me I can not figure out what is written. She was from the Campania/ Naples area. I have attached a screen shot of just the town information with the town highlighted, and also a shot of the entire page in case it helps some to compare with the person's handwriting of other things. On a side note about the passenger list - I'm also trying to figure out what it says her father's name is over on the far right, which leads me to my next predicament:

On the marriage certificate it lists her mother and father - the best I can do with the father's first name is Cirriacco? Apparently my skills at deciphering other people's handwriting need some work. :) Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Torella dei Lombardi
Province of Avellino, Campania, Italy

Just bear in mind that last residence is not necessarily the town of birth.

Ciriaco is a first name.

There are some online records for the town at familysearch.org If she was born in the town above, her birth record should be there.

Italy, Avellino, Sant'Ang...on (Tribunale), 1866-1910
Avellino
Torella dei Lombardi
Nati 1866-1895

Erudita
jessicarucco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessicarucco »

Thank you so much Erudita, my husband and I have been straining our eyes for a couple of days trying to determine what it could say! I'll see if I can find anything for her. Thanks again! :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jessicarucco wrote:Thank you so much Erudita, my husband and I have been straining our eyes for a couple of days trying to determine what it could say! I'll see if I can find anything for her. Thanks again! :)
Well, I'm not having luck finding Filomena's birth record, but I did find a birth record for Luisa Salerno, her sister. It is dated Aug 12, 1888-image 1486 of 1877 Record #72. Luisa was born on the 10th in the house on via Macchia (no number on the house). Her father, Ciriaco, was age 40 and a peasant/farmer. Her mother, Rosaria Cozzi, was living with him (no age given for her). He was illiterate and did not sign the birth record.

Here are some of the index image numbers to help you-
image 1559 for 1889
image 1623 for 1890
image 1671 for 1891
image 1724 for 1892
image 1776 for 1893
image 1819 for 1894
image 1873 for 1895

some of the indices have the father's first name; others only give the name of the child

At least, the birth of Luisa gives us confirmation that I have the town name correct.

Erudita
jessicarucco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessicarucco »

That is fantastic!! Thank you so much!! I don't use familysearch.org very often, do you have a link to the search page for this? Thanks again! :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jessicarucco wrote:That is fantastic!! Thank you so much!! I don't use familysearch.org very often, do you have a link to the search page for this? Thanks again! :)
Here's the link for Luisa's birth record

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n877478461

Here's a record for a brother Giuseppe Salerno-

Record # 120-Dated Dec 12, 1881 -Giuseppe Salerno was born on the 9th in the house on via Bruno. Father Ciriaco was age 32. Mother Rosaria Cozza was living with him.

Erudita
jessicarucco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessicarucco »

Thank you so much, you are seriously my hero this morning! I have virtually no experience with Italian records so this is all very new to me and I REALLY appreciate how helpful you have been! :)
jessicarucco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessicarucco »

Another question - Is there anyway that I can search the microfilm by name or do I just have to look through the page numbers? How are they organized?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jessicarucco wrote:Another question - Is there anyway that I can search the microfilm by name or do I just have to look through the page numbers? How are they organized?

Unfortunately, you have to search for the index at the end of a year of records and then search that index for the name, get the record number, and then go back and look for that record in the particular year. So far, there are indices at the end of the individual birth years, which is a good thing, as there are not always indices.

I just found another daughter Maria Salerno, image 929 of 1877, record #71 dated July 14, 1879. Ciriaco was age 31. Infant born on the 11th in the house on via Santa Maria (no number for house). Mother- Rosaria Cozza living with her husband; no age given for her. Both were peasant/farmers.

I finally found her. I had completely missed the 1885 index-image 1316.

Dated May 3, 1885. Ciriaco was 36. Filomena was born on the 2nd in the house on via Bruno. No age given for Rosaria who was living with her husband.

Erudita
jessicarucco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessicarucco »

YAY!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!! Its funny because I had not gotten an e-mail to notify me of your reply yet and I was going to write more about how I had been looking through the index all day with no luck - I completely missed it! Thank you SO much Erudita, you are truly a lifesaver!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jessicarucco wrote:YAY!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!! Its funny because I had not gotten an e-mail to notify me of your reply yet and I was going to write more about how I had been looking through the index all day with no luck - I completely missed it! Thank you SO much Erudita, you are truly a lifesaver!

I'm so happy I found Filomena's record. I still can't believe I initially missed the 1885 index. I also looked through some of the marriage indices to see if I could find the marriage record of Ciriaco to Rosaria. I went back as far as 1874 but didn't see it listed in any of those indices. I'm also sure you will find other children born to them, if you search the records of other Salernos listed in the birth indices.

Have fun hunting.

Erudita