'Unknown Parents' on Marriage Record?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

'Unknown Parents' on Marriage Record?

Post by Josie07M11 »

I've asked this forum for a lot over these past few days. I want to thank everybody who has helped me, I wish I could repay you somehow.

I finally found the marriage records for my ancestors Giuseppe Stagno and Olivia Spavara. I'm trying to translate a couple of things and need some clarification.

The record is the one on the right:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... X:34919695

1. In the area where it would normally list Giuseppe's parents does it say ignoti genitori "unknown parents"?
2. Does it say Giuseppe was born in Messina or somewhere else?

Thank you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: 'Unknown Parents' on Marriage Record?

Post by liviomoreno »

Yes, Giuseppe was born in Messina to unknown parents
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Its pretty hard to find the names of unknown parents. Usually if a child is born out of wedlock sometimes down the road the parents will recongnize the child as their own after they are married these parents chose not to be known so it would be tough to find their names
Messina is a big place isn't it?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Josie07M11 »

Thank you Livio! And yes Marty I think this is the end of my research for the Stagno line. I found Giuseppe's birth record but needed this marriage record to prove it was my Giuseppe stagno. On the birth record there's no mention of any parents, he was an abandoned baby. I guess Messina allowed parents to remain anonymous when giving up their child. Messina is very big so even if there was some way I could search, it would probably be impossible to narrow it down.